Playing games online with grandson different locations

Steve s

Recycles dryer sheets
Wondering if anyone plays games on line with family or friends at different locations and what apps you may recommend. Grandson is 12 and unable to spend time with us do to coronavirus and was checking out ways to stay involved with him with some games. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking at monopoly or card games. Thank you. Steve

My grandson is 14. All I hear him talk about is Fortnight. He try’s from time to time to get his younger brother to play with him but the younger grandson (10), isn’t as interested.

What about a game like Words with Friends? You can play that on a phone or a computer. Not sure of other ways, but when I played it, I could play it through Facebook.

Thanks Jerry 1. I was looking at Facebook games and it does look the easiest for me to get started. Card or board games will be the simplest. Would not be able to keep up with him on any action games. Thank yoiu

Jackbox has some good games for an interactive family game night where everyone is playing at the same time and talking to each other. We had a fun time a couple of weeks ago with some friends.

Every household needs:
- a computer with an online meeting app like Zoom or Webex

The host needs:
- a game platfrom installed on the computer. I used Epic. It's free and easy to setup, but they support a lot of different platforms.
- a Jackbox game purchased for the correct platform. A party pack on Epic costs $25 to $30 and has five different games.

Every player needs:
- a smartphone or tablet or computer separate from the one they're using for the video conference.

The host starts the web meeting and every household joins the meeting on their main computer. The host then starts the game and shares it on the web meeting. Now everyone can see the game screen and you can talk to each other over the web meeting.

All the players login to jackbox.tv on their phones and enter the code for the game they're playing.

We did have to tweak the settings for sound and to give everyone enough time to answer. This blog entry was useful: https://www.jackboxgames.com/how-to-play-jackbox-games-with-friends-and-family-remotely/

We are using Board Game Arena and in fact have a session scheduled with DD and DS (both in grad school) this afternoon. Lots of board games including several we have IRL. Free for a few, 4 Euros/month for access to all (only one person in the group needs to be a paid member for everyone to play). They are very busy (slow) evenings and weekends so we have happy hour sessions.

cathy63 and MBAustin thank you for great information. Appreciate the replies!

Wondering if anyone plays games on line with family or friends at different locations and what apps you may recommend. Grandson is 12 and unable to spend time with us do to coronavirus and was checking out ways to stay involved with him with some games. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking at monopoly or card games. Thank you. Steve
If your grandson plays Fortnight dont be afraid to give it a try. I don't play it but I regularly watch the grandkids play. If you want to give it a try I would play it on a PC rather than PS4, XBOX or phone. Mouse and keyboard will be easier for our generation. You will be a "newbie" and all but if you play the team royale rumble matches you respawn after each death and jump right back into the same game until one team wins. This is the best way to learn.

What games does he currently play? Find an "in" where he's already enjoying himself if you can, far easier than redirecting him. Lots of games have pc versions.

If you can "blow that dough" look into Animal Crossing - which is all ages, and a lot of fun, but does require a Nintendo Switch, so that would be expensive for two if he didn't get into it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom