Poll: Compare value of your residence to investment portfolio

My home represents this percentage of the total computed in Step 1 (in the first post

• 0-10%

Votes: 93 26.6%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 133 38.0%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 65 18.6%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 24 6.9%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • >50%

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • I rent or do not have a main home

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • These poll choices are terrible! None fit me, but I wanted to participate.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
About 10% using the equity on the main house and our money in the market. Not accounting for the F&C second home or the rentals (which are worth about double what we have in the market. Also not accounting for cash in savings accounts or loans or property contracts we receive payments on, which are substantial. I guess our ratio speaks to living in a cheap house we borrowed against and not having much in the market.

16% and live in PHX... Our house is probably 2x what we really need, but we really love it :)... Will probably live it until we hit age 65 or decide to become snow birds...

37% by the way you suggested. Our rental property is on the same lot as our primary - but I subtracted out the value it adds (compared to neighbors with the same home size).

It's similar if I include the rental value in the equation... 40%.

Doesn't matter to me - house is paid off. It's not a mansion (2000sf, 50 year old tract home.).... But I like where I live, like my neighbors, like my old tract house. And it just happens to be the house I grew up in.

The same house. The lowest for me was Sept 2010, right before I paid off the mortgage. It was around 9%. Today, just a bit below 20%.

37% by the way you suggested. Our rental property is on the same lot as our primary - but I subtracted out the value it adds (compared to neighbors with the same home size).

It's similar if I include the rental value in the equation... 40%.

Doesn't matter to me - house is paid off. It's not a mansion (2000sf, 50 year old tract home.).... But I like where I live, like my neighbors, like my old tract house. And it just happens to be the house I grew up in.

But remember, the whole point of the poll is fun! Californians with paid off homes are going to have a big percentage when computed this way, and there is nothing wrong with that. The numbers are fairly meaningless, especially to those with additional income and properties that I excluded in my attempts to avoid defining net worth. Hopefully the computation will make you appreciate your lovely family home even that much more.

Last edited:
18.5%, but we live in the San Francisco North Bay, where the median home price is now almost $600K.

House equity and investments are apples and oranges for us, because the equity isn't taxed when we choose to use it for something. But investments would cost us a lot in taxes if we sold them, so I usually discount the value of investments by about a third.

House equity and investments are apples and oranges for us

I even included a category for possible use by those who feel like you do about it....
"These poll choices are terrible! None fit me, but I wanted to participate." Another option would be to just regard the poll as fun, make the computation described in post #1 of this thread, and select that category. Whatever seems most pleasant to you! :)

We're 21% based on the instructions, so that's how I answered the poll. It's 18% if I include rentals as part of investments, which is how I view them. We also have 2 pension annuities. It's 14% if I count the 2 lump sum options that we didn't take.

The 2 of us are still living in the very large family dream house. When we downsize in a few years, it will be 11%, down from 21% based on the instructions. That's a combination of smaller house and larger portfolio... assuming DW agrees with my downsize target. Based on the Zillow links she keeps sending me, we are not yet aligned on the meaning of "downsize."

Last edited:
Renter here :)

Incidentally, if I would buy my current residence I'd end up with it being 45% (roughly) of my investment portfolio.

By several definitions that would make me house poor I guess.

Another renter here :greetings10: and surprised we're such a small minority. Zillow shows an equivalent condo across the street listed at ~5% of my taxable plus tax-deferred portfolios. Living small and not planning to upgrade.

And that is what I did. I regard all polls as fun :cool:

I Another option would be to just regard the poll as fun, make the computation described in post #1 of this thread, and select that category. Whatever seems most pleasant to you! :)

And that is what I did. I regard all polls as fun :cool:

I like them too. :) I especially like them when they aren't taken too seriously because honestly, a poll like this is fairly meaningless except for entertainment value.

With primary residence, 8%, with second home & land 13%
That's with an average cost per sq ft of $345 in our neighborhood. A lot less than San Francisco :)
No debt.

Last edited:
8.1%--including all 25 acres since on single "lot," and valuing property at decade-old acquisition cost (current "development" value would boost that percentage).

As for mortgage, should close refinancing next week for our 15yr retirement mortgage.

No surprise, we reside in LCOL fly-over country. :)

Or he lives in a cardboard box. Probably high-quality though, it's still 9%. :hide:

11%. Would have been lower but Zillow says my house has increased in value 12% over the past year.

Another renter here -
For cash flow comparison, my rent is 34% of a 'standard' 4% annual portfolio WR.

Last edited:
I live on Long Island, a HCOL. But I live in a paid-off studio apartment in a co-op complex, so my home value is low, about 7% of my portfolio+apartment.

Back
Top Bottom