Poll -Do You Smoke?

Have you smoked within the last 3 months?

• I am a man and I have smoked within the last 3 months

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I am a woman and I have smoked within the last 3 months

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I am a man and I have not smoked within the last 3 months

Votes: 97 58.4%
  • I am a woman and I have not smoked within the last 3 months

Votes: 47 28.3%

• Total voters
I’m a bit surprised at how well some folks remember when they quit.

It’s been 15 years or so for me since the third and last time I quit, don’t remember exactly when. Quitting in Venezuela was hard, people smoke everywhere and there was (is) no real social or cultural attitude to support not smoking.

Soon after I stopped I was visiting my folks. Over dinner with their closest friends – he was a pediatrician, she a nurse, it came out that I had stopped, and the Doctor said “Congratulations, you can now expect to live 2.8 more years. I remember being slightly disappointed, expecting a much greater effect. It must of shown, because he then said the real difference isn’t how much longer but how much better you will live, especially toward the end.

We spend part of the year in Boca Raton, which has lots of seniors. It’s striking how many use walker/oxygen holders and need oxygen support.

I love smoking cigarettes. I look forward to smoke breaks at work. I look forward to the certain exit on the highway that I always light up at. I look forward to a smoke after I calculate my net worth. Speaking of which...new month. :ROFLMAO:

Well, the good news is that you can raise your SWR.

Smoked two packs a day from age 21 to 31.This past August was 20 years since I quit. I do not get angry at smokers because I know how hard it was to quit. I do have a problem with people who blow smoke in my face.

Never smoked a tobacco product in my life. Never drank non-alcoholic beer either. What's the point?

Because the bar is private property frequented only by adults, the dangers of smoking (and secondhand smoke) are well known, and because tobacco is a legal product? If most people don't smoke (true) and most non-smokers would prefer not to breathe cigarette smoke (probably also true) then clearly there is a market for non-smoking bars, they would enjoy a competitive advantage and would thrive. And if somebody wants to run a bar where smoking is permitted, they should be allowed to. And everyone in the smoking bar (including the workers) should be warned of the hazards. There--everyone gets to be free and exercise their rights like adults.

As a nonsmoker who enjoys smoke-free restaurants and other environments, I've personally benefited from the current government restrictions on smoking. But I don't think they are right.

+10 on this

Last edited:
I quit smoking 12/31/85. I can not believe that I ever made the choice to smoke knowing the possible health problems that could happen and the cost involved. So glad that I quit.

If I could have one wish fulfilled, it would be that my 76 year old mother would quit smoking.

She mentioned quitting for the first time in my life so maybe my wish will come true in the not too distant future. She rarely mentions doing things unless she has already made up her mind to do it.

Never smoked. My little town finally passed a no smoke ordinance for bars and restaurants. I think we were the last city in the state to do so. But a couple of bars have skirted the ordinance by forming a 'club' as private clubs are exempt. Which is the case at my golf club.

I quit January 30, 1974. Diabetes and smoking don't mix well. It was probably the best decision I have ever made.

Mike D.

I started smoking at about age 15 or so (in the early 60's). When I was stationed in Vietnam in the late 60's I got free smokes because my unit was so remote that we could not go to the PX and spend $1 on a carton of smokes so they gave us freebies. When I got back to the states and was living in upstate NY I could not bring myself to spend 50 cents a pack, so I gave it up. One of my better healthcare decisions.

Yes, I have the occasional cigarette, cigar or "whatever". Yes, it is bad for me. Remember that a 50 year RE means a reduced SWR.:D What things that you enjoy would you trade for 5 more years in the nursing home?

On the banning issue, I think the owner of a bar/restaurant/etc. should be allowed to make up his/her mind on what clientèle they want to cater to. After all, they do own the place. People who "would spend money there if" must convince them it is an economic benefit.
NY did an interesting thing along these lines...for the mere sum of $3000, a bar can get a "special permit" to allow smoking. I know of only 1 bar in the area who paid this ransom for freedom of choice in their own private establishment. The rest of the places built covered and/or enclosed porch areas or simply enclosed their entrances to allow outdoor smoking.
Employees are given the choice to remain or quit if the owner gets the permit.

Guess I never saw what was appealing about smoking, and nobody was happier when certain establishments disallowed smoking....yeah, what a party pooper I am, right?:D

Don't consider it smoking, consider it reducing your longevity risk.

It is expected that cancer overtakes heart disease as the world's top killer this year. The main reason ? Rising use of tobacco worldwide. Better stay away from it.

It is expected that cancer overtakes heart disease as the world's top killer this year. The main reason ? Rising use of tobacco worldwide. Better stay away from it.

An awful lot of cardio-vascular disease is caused by smoking also, so if you are a smoker you have both to worry about.

Smokers often tell me they wish they could quit, but can't because they are addicted.

My first SO smoked. He gave it up because I asked him to, and was smoke-free for several years. When we split up, he took up smoking again, and got a new SO, who smoked. (Or maybe it was the other way around, I never knew for sure :LOL:).
They eventually got married, and a few years later, his father (who smoked) died of a heart attack.
Then the smoking wife died of lung cancer. In her 40's!
Last time I ran into this former-SO, he was smoking.

I don't understand someone who CAN quit, sees reasons all around him TO quit, but chooses not to.

Then again, I never really "got" peer pressure.

Amethyst

An awful lot of cardio-vascular disease is caused by smoking also, so if you are a smoker you have both to worry about.

Alan - You are correct. I was just mentioning this from the latest WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer report. They made a clear distinction between cardivascular disease and cancer. From memory, cancer deaths globally are expected to reach 7 million this year, and new cancer cases expected to rise to 27-30 million by 2030 (many of them caused by increased smoking in the developing world).

... and new cancer cases expected to rise to 27-30 million by 2030 (many of them caused by increased smoking in the developing world).

I used to work as an engineer for a Meagcorp chemical company and in 1985 I was in their Films division. I attended a business update meeting that year where they showed the decline in sales of the type of thin film wrapping that goes on cigarette packets, CDs etc. The presenter stated that the decline was mostly due to the drop in sales of cigarettes in the N. America and Europe, but they expected sales to increase quite rapidly as Big Tobacco had started to agressively advertise in the developing world.

I felt pretty negative that day ... :(

Alan - You are correct. I was just mentioning this from the latest WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer report. They made a clear distinction between cardivascular disease and cancer. From memory, cancer deaths globally are expected to reach 7 million this year, and new cancer cases expected to rise to 27-30 million by 2030 (many of them caused by increased smoking in the developing world).
Since we have to die of something, I'm guessing that increasing rates of cancer may well be an indicator of improving overall health, in that cancer is probably much better correlated with age (all the way up the scale) than cardiovascular conditions. (That said, given the choice, I'll take the heart attack, preferably in my sleep, rather than cancer, thanks very much.)

I quit 26 years and 6 months ago at the age of 37 and I am proud I did. Terrible habit. Probably the number one killer in the US today. Our health insurance rates would be cut in half if everyone quit, maybe more. I cannot think of anything good about smoking. I regret I ever picked up the habit to begin with. Both my parents smoked and it killed them at an early age. I know, all you smokers are going to say you have to die from something but you would change your mind if you ever witnessed anyone dying from lung cancer. That is what got my parents and it was not pretty. My 2-cents on this. I know it is not going to change anyone from doing it but I posted my reply anyway

Yup, I watched my Mom die from Lung Cancer, horrible. I'd much rather go to sleep and wake up dead.

Smokers often tell me they wish they could quit, but can't because they are addicted.

I don't understand someone who CAN quit, sees reasons all around him TO quit, but chooses not to.

Then again, I never really "got" peer pressure.

Amethyst

If you understand addiction, you probably wouldn't attribute your former SO's taking up the habit to "peer pressure". PP may be a factor in returning to an addictive behavior. However, addiction is for life. You may be able to change the behavior (i.e. "quit") but you are still addicted. The "pull" of the addiction is powerful. It never goes away. Both my parents (who both smoked and eventually quit) stated that they craved cigarettes for the remainder of their lives. They made the decision EACH TIME not to give in. THAT is the nature of addiction.

My recommendation to my kids (or anyone who will listen) don't get addicted in the first place.

I have been quit almost 27 years and I never think about smoking. I was addicted also. It is like I never smoked.

If you understand addiction, you probably wouldn't attribute your former SO's taking up the habit to "peer pressure". PP may be a factor in returning to an addictive behavior. However, addiction is for life. You may be able to change the behavior (i.e. "quit") but you are still addicted. The "pull" of the addiction is powerful. It never goes away. Both my parents (who both smoked and eventually quit) stated that they craved cigarettes for the remainder of their lives. They made the decision EACH TIME not to give in. THAT is the nature of addiction.

My recommendation to my kids (or anyone who will listen) don't get addicted in the first place.

I started at 13 and was pack a day by 18. Quit at 47, 5 years ago. I go for months without even thinking about smoking now. Once I decided my "habit" was a nasty drug addiction it became relatively easy to quit.

There are others who decide to kick the addiction in a more difficult fashion in that they feel as if they are giving up something pleasurable. They have cravings regularly but resist through sheer will power.

Back
Top Bottom