Votes: 109 28.8%
  • No, and I’m not anxious to get vaccinated

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • Completed single dose version

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had second Moderna shot 9 days ago. So thankful. Particularly with Mask mandate being removed here. Glad I got fully vaccinated first (I'm not going out for anything unnecessary until the full 2 weeks is up).

We're getting our first Pfizer shots this week (Tues) and are super excited/grateful but also a bit apprehensive of potential side effects. I don't mind the sore arm, potential fatigue or fever but the more severe reactions - although apparently pretty rare - are a bit frightening..as is the whole "experimental" aspect of both Pfizer and Moderna. (Who knows what we'll find some years down the road..hopefully nothing!)

When I told our family & friends, the reaction was surprising..it was mostly.."hey, that's great FOR YOU..good luck with that!" (ie: they have no intention of getting the jabs at this point). I absolutely can't fathom that - they're eligible and don't want to go..of course, many of them have not taken COVID that seriously and continue to socialize, travel, etc. (SMH..I've always seen that as basically playing Russian Roulette..sooner or later, it was bound to catch up with them..but oddly never has..to this point).

I'm just SO FREAKING HAPPY to be able (after the waiting period needed after we get our second shot) to be able to stop doing the "extreme COVID hermit" thing and get back to "some" semblance of normal life. We'll still wear our masks (no great hardship in the middle of a global pandemic, IMHO!), socially distance, etc. But at least we'll be able to step foot in a store again (wearing masks, of course) to pick out our own meats and veggies, go to our favorite bike trails and parks, etc. And we haven't done ANY of that for 13 months now..

Hoping for the best! I actually am having a hard time believing we were able to get appointments..it's almost like I expect to wake up one morning with an email from our Pharmacy saying "ha! Just kidding..we don't really have any vaccine..smile - you're on Candid Internet Camera!"

Will report back after on how we do with the side effects (hopefully none, or minimal).

Last edited:
DH and I just had our second dose of Moderna on Thursday, so you can move my vote to complete :LOL:. The second day's side effects consisted of a '24 hour flu'. No side effects today other than a slightly itchy arm.

DH and I are looking forward to some outside eating.

When I told our family & friends, the reaction was surprising..it was mostly.."hey, that's great FOR YOU..good luck with that!" (ie: they have no intention of getting the jabs at this point). I absolutely can't fathom that - they're eligible and don't want to go..

Well, to be fair..it is an emergency use authorization so we really don't know what the long term effects might be. To say otherwise is just speculation. The vaccine is the (mRNA) is the first of it's kind used in humans, so we don't know what we don't know. If it wasn't for DW and I traveling so much in the near future, I wouldn't get it, either.

I saw a lot of folks in the military get pretty messed up with the anthrax vaccination debacle and that was a vaccine that WAS 'proven' so the fear of the unknown (being all things COVID including the vaccines) is real and shouldn't be dismissed. Nonetheless, the more people that do get vaccinated, the better since this does seem like the way to get back to normal. Of course, there will be a lot of people that don't get the vaccine...same as the yearly flu shot.

Last edited:
I just got my 1st dose about 10 minutes ago (Pfizer). It is very well organized here. As soon as my observation time is up, I'm going to get pizza to bring home for dinner.

I had the second dose of Pfizer Wednesday. I had it at 11 and by 6pm had a severe headache. By 11 I was uncontrollably shaking despite the electric blanket on high and 3 blankets over it. I had trouble walking across the room to get more blankets. 6 finally did the trick. I slept around the clock on Thursday except for eating and taking the dogs outside. Friday still fatigued and a small headache. Today the headache was gone but tired and had a nap. My brother had Moderna and was sick for 5 days. My sister got it today and isn’t faring any better. Maybe something about our genes:)). We are all still glad we got it.

I'm just SO FREAKING HAPPY to be able to be able to stop doing the "extreme COVID hermit" thing and get back to "some" semblance of normal life. At least we'll be able to step foot in a store again (wearing masks, of course) to pick out our own meats and veggies, go to our favorite bike trails and parks, etc. And we haven't done ANY of that for 13 months now..

I'm glad you were able to get through it, but I never could've done the "extreme COVID hermit" thing. I wouldn't have lasted 6 months living like that.

DW (55 w/multiple medical issues, was in the hospital twice in the last 4 months) Got her J&J shot today. So far, just some dizziness. Me, 56, with only type 2 diabetes, qualified to get my J&J yesterday as her care provider. A little sore arm but not as bad as the anthrax shots (retired military). Was out working in the yard before my afternoon nap.:D

DW (55 w/multiple medical issues, was in the hospital twice in the last 4 months) Got her J&J shot today. So far, just some dizziness. Me, 56, with only type 2 diabetes, qualified to get my J&J yesterday as her care provider. A little sore arm but not as bad as the anthrax shots (retired military). Was out working in the yard before my afternoon nap.:D

Did you have to get a letter about being a care provider or fill out a form, or did they simply take your word for it ?

I'm scheduled for 1st shot Friday!

I got it. Pfizer. A bit of shoulder pain.

2nd shot is April 7.

DW already had had 2 shots of Moderna. She had significant arm pain and flu-like symptoms but resolved after about a day.

Great to have these vaccines.

Last edited:
We got our 2nd Pfizer shots yesterday (Friday) afternoon. Both of us were super tired last night, and I slept in til 11 am this morning. Took a late nap from 6 to 9 pm because I was still wiped out. Late tonight I feel close to 'normal' again. Upper arm is still a bit sore.

My wife’s sister in law had her first jab last week. She has extreme allergies (fish and eggs in particular) so her vaccination was doctor supervised and she had to wait 30 minutes afterwards. This was the AZ vaccine.

Wife and I received our vaccine(Johnson & Johnson single dose) on Friday morning via the VA. By 6 pm, I was having aches, chills, headache, etc. It was a long miserable night! Wife had a minor headache, but was otherwise fine. I had lots of vaccinations during my military career and have never experienced that type of a reaction. But I feel fine today and am grateful for the vaccination.

My husband had his second Pfizer shot the beginning of February in NH. No issues whatsoever. We decided he should get it because all his family died of lung cancer. Yes they were all smokers, but we felt there could be a gene issue and since COVID attacks lungs, we thought he should get the vaccine.

He also always gets the flu shot but this year he didn't bother.

I on the other hand never get the flu shot and don't intend on getting the COVID one either. I am in no way anti vaccine. I have had them all, but I do not like the ones where you have to get them every year as they chase the next variant or whatever it is they do. If they could develop one that is a one time only for like 5 years or more- fine. I would get it. But right now they are saying it is only good for maybe 3 months to a year,. They really don't know. So I am in wait and see mode.

I also read this is really an immunotherapy and not a vaccine?

I never had the flu all these years and I worked in health care marketing and spent every day in and out of MD offices, hospitals, shaking hands, around patients in waiting rooms, etc.

Last year we retired and we moved in February, and I end up getting the flu! Go figure! Well- I assume it was the flu anyway. Don't think it was COVID because I did not lose taste or smell and I did not have chest pain or breathing issues. A brief fever. The cough lingered for weeks, but it was not a dry cough.

Anyway, ironically his past year despite COVID we have had more of a social life than we ever had when working. And some nice activities and venues and 3 weeks of vacations, though in New England where we now live. So we have been living life.

The only thing I miss is the events that have been cancelled like the outdoor fairs and concerts. I miss just browsing around the shops- they are open but I don't find it enjoyable with a mask- mine and other people's. So I just don't go.

The other thing we missed was friends and relatives from out of state were going to come and visit us our first year in our new home and could not due to restrictions and/or their own comfort level. That was a big disappointment.

I do get outside a lot and it helps that we live in an area where there are lots of outdoor things to do and see in nature.

The other thing I miss is the ability to fly places without wearing a mask. I had 2 more fly to destinations on my list before we get too old. But I refuse to fly (my choice, I know) because wearing a mask on the airport shuttle for 2 hours and then in the airport for hours checking in and waiting to board and then on the plane for hours and then in the next airport for hours until we get a car rented and get out- I just can't do it. Then the testing and temperature taking and contact tracing. Now they are talking about COVID sniffing dogs. No thanks. I barely can handle wearing it in the grocery store each week.

So my choice is if a mask is required I don't do the activity or go to the place and that limits me but I think I have still done a lot more this past year than many people have so I don’t feel totally deprived at all. Helps that our state has low numbers and is fairly open if you want to call it that.

Best thing is our adult son lives nearby where we moved, which was one reason we moved here in the first place- though not the only reason- and we do see him and in a normal way. He works from home right now but also has a part time job at a brewery bartending. (which we also visit occasionally). He has come to our home and has also spent holidays with us. We’ve also gone out for a few meals with him.

But I find it sad that some people have not seen their kids and grand kids and parents in a whole year! There is no reason you can't get in a car and see and speak to them at least from the car or at a distance. Do it.

Last edited:
Did you have to get a letter about being a care provider or fill out a form, or did they simply take your word for it ?
DW scheduled the appointments over the phone and they took her word for it... when I checked in, I selected that box and no one asked about it.

I have completed my series, since I am back working in health care.
Majority of siblings and spouses have all completed theirs. DS and DD work in education, so one done, one scheduled. DH is scheduled today as he has done some childcare and qualifies. Many nieces/nephews in healthcare or teaching and done or scheduled.
So our immediate and extended family is slowly getting vaccinated. A nice feeling of relief.

And it sounds like this will really open up with J&J on board.

I become eligible to make an appointment to get vaccinated starting tomorrow. So hopefully I will be able to make an appointment tomorrow and if not I will keep trying until I do.

DW and I were in the Novavax trial since last fall but when we asked to be unblinded, they told us to just get whatever Covid-19 vaccine was offered. So we did.

One week in on the Pfizer vaccine. We both had sore arm, headache, and general malaise for a day. Bad day of Pickleball.

Both kids were also vaccinated this week. Pregnancy and heart condition put them in 1c in Kentucky...yeah.

Looking forward to indoor dinners with kids and visiting family in other states next month.

Got shot #1 (Moderna) in Long Beach,CA today when they opened vaccinations for under 65/vulnerable a week early, and allowed a (well-controlled) free-for-all for 500 no-appointment shots.

No pain, no side effects.

I got my second dose of Pfizer yesterday. Last night, I was feverish and had a couple episodes of "the chills". The longest one at 11pm lasted about 90 minutes. I didn't sleep well the rest of the night. But I seem to be fine this morning other than being a little tired -- probably from the lack of a good night's sleep.

I am 60 so it will be a long time before my age group. My wife is 55 so will be even longer. I have had probably over 100 mandated shots during my 37 year military career. I don't plan on volunteering for any shots. I take 5000 IU of Vitamin D every day and call it good. My wife is leaning toward the shot but not sure. It will be a long long time before they get to her age group.

The flip side is, we late boomers will probably get the J&J. Yeah, I know, be grateful, take what's offered, 72% is still good, etc.

Late boomers always got leftovers, so we should be used to it.

Should get ours sometime after next week. Florida is lowering the age to 60+ next Monday 3/15. Glad we're getting closer.

The flip side is, we late boomers will probably get the J&J. Yeah, I know, be grateful, take what's offered, 72% is still good, etc.

Late boomers always got leftovers, so we should be used to it.

I'd prefer the J&J. It's based off older proven vaccines so there's less likelihood of long term problems, imo. But I have an appointment Friday and it's likely Pfizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom