POLL: How do you rank yourself as an investor?

Rank yourself as an investor

• Above average investor

Votes: 89 37.6%
  • Average but will be improving in the future, I hope

Votes: 24 10.1%
  • Average and not likely to change

Votes: 89 37.6%
  • Below average

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Terrible and recognize I need help

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Just terrible and have no clue going forward

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters
So the bimodal distribution of the poll suggests some voted versus the er.org norm, and others voted versus the general population.

From my experience, most here are above average versus the general population.

Polls are hard...

If I was a good investor I would be really rich.

The only reason I was able to FIRE was I worked like a dog and saved over 50% of my after tax income.

This is a classic psychology question: About three-quarters (73 percent) of US drivers consider themselves better-than-average drivers.

So in fact, who answers "average" in this poll are likely to be above-average investors because "they know that they don't know".

There are two kinds of people in this world:
1. People who don't know that they don't know (majority)
2. People who know that they don't know (minority)

LOL, like the quote from Rumsfeld:
"...there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know..." - Donald Rumsfeld

OR the quote from Sagan:
"“Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence”" - Carl Sagan

https://hbr.org/2012/05/discover-what-you-need-to-know

https://www.amazon.com/Think-Again-Power-Knowing-What/dp/1984878107

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing

This is also explained by the concept that few people have heard of, called the Dunning-Kruger effect:
The Dunning-Kruger Effect is a cognitive bias where people tend to assess their intelligence or abilities as greater than they are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Yeah, understanding how to be a defensive driver, not being in a rush, and not drinking/smoking/cellphone while driving you will as best as you can be prepared.

Living your life at least fifteen minutes ahead of schedule is a great way to be at peace all the time.

I had an old boss who used to say, "Five minutes early is ten minutes late." what a great way to frame things.
Your work ethic says a lot about you as a person, accountability goes a long way.

Last edited:
So the bimodal distribution of the poll suggests some voted versus the er.org norm, and others voted versus the general population.

From my experience, most here are above average versus the general population.

Polls are hard...

Yes, if people here are mostly FIRED they did some things really right with their personal finance which puts them well above average for the USA.

I will have to go to polling science class to get all the wording just right. But in my defense I just did this because it is fun and I kind of feel some of the recent threads have been ..... :yawn::yawn:

Last edited:
LOL, like the quote from Rumsfeld:
"...there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know..." - Donald Rumsfeld

OR the quote from Sagan:
"“Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence”" - Carl Sagan

https://hbr.org/2012/05/discover-what-you-need-to-know

https://www.amazon.com/Think-Again-Power-Knowing-What/dp/1984878107

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing

This is also explained by the concept that few people have heard of, called the Dunning-Kruger effect:
The Dunning-Kruger Effect is a cognitive bias where people tend to assess their intelligence or abilities as greater than they are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Yeah, understanding how to be a defensive driver, not being in a rush, and not drinking/smoking/cellphone while driving you will as best as you can be prepared.

Living your life at least fifteen minutes ahead of schedule is a great way to be at peace all the time.

I had an old boss who used to say, "Five minutes early is ten minutes late." what a great way to frame things.
Your work ethic says a lot about you as a person, accountability goes a long way.

Buffett and Munger/Li Lu/Howard Marks/Mohnish Pabrai etc., all great fund managers, they all understand the same thing: That to be successful at buying and assessing individual stocks, you have to have independent analysis.

People like me who are NDT have a unique advantage because our inherent brain synapses and neural network is wired in a way that is most likely unique to them, in comparison to neuro-typical people, who have predictable pathways and thoughts.

Understanding the "wisdom of the crowds" is one of the most important keys to finding opportunities within investments.
But be forewarned, for to be forewarned is to be forearmed.
That you have to be able to understand when the masses are right, or just trend following, as well as when they are wrong. Then you must break from the herd.

This is where "Mr. Market" comes into play which is the basis of the teachings of Benjamin Graham.

And within this thought process which was elucidated from another perspective, as explained by Jesse Livermore; the behavior of the underlying prices, and how they can diverge from the expected conclusion.

This is evinced within the popular phrase attributed to John Maynard Keynes – “Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent”.

You have to have rules for investing, an understanding of what you are buying, why you want to make the purchase, when you would sell. You must have a plan. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Last edited:
I will have to go to polling science class to get all the wording just right.
Many polls here don’t go off as intended, don’t ask me how I know… :blush: :facepalm: :greetings10: :nonono: :duh:

I believe he means neurodiverse talent, which I understand to be a form of autism.

Regarding the OP question, I consider myself a barely adequate investor who has been lucky just often enough to offset some dumb choices.

What are you invested in that’s yielding 14.5% ?!?

Mainly REITs and BDCs

ACRE
AGNC
AWP
BRSP
BRW
CBL
CLM
CSWC
DX
ECC
GNL
GOF
HRZN
IVR
JRI
LTSA
MFA
MFV
NLY
OPP
ORC
OXLC
PDI
PHT
PSEC
QYLD
RC
RITM
RIV
SACH
SLRC
TPVG
TRIN
XFLT
YYY
MPW
CHMI

Above average for me, compared to the general population. Perhaps a little less than that compared to this forum or Bogleheads.

Mainly REITs and BDCs

ACRE
AGNC
AWP
BRSP
BRW
CBL
CLM
CSWC
DX
ECC
GNL
GOF
HRZN
IVR
JRI
LTSA
MFA
MFV
NLY
OPP
ORC
OXLC
PDI
PHT
PSEC
QYLD
RC
RITM
RIV
SACH
SLRC
TPVG
TRIN
XFLT
YYY
MPW
CHMI

Any concerns about sustainability of dividends or default risk?

I guess I'm above average. Fidelity says I can expect to earn 85k next year from dividends (14.5% off of 550k) :dance:
14.5% is pretty high for dividend. Do you invest specifically for high yield? How do you see the next year expected number at Fidelity? I can look at dividend view but these are dividends for current year.

Any concerns about sustainability of dividends or default risk?
Some of these I have been with for close to 10 years paying me steady dividends. I also pay a yearly subscription to 6 analysis that do the heavy lifting (analysis) for me concerning sustainability and business model with daily/weekly emails from them.

Last edited:
14.5% is pretty high for dividend. Do you invest specifically for high yield? How do you see the next year expected number at Fidelity? I can look at dividend view but these are dividends for current year.

Performance in Fidelity shows past 12 months dividends. Dividend view shows projected 12 months dividends.

I have 3 guaranteed COLA'ed incomes so I can afford to be more aggressive than others. May not be suitable for others.

Some of these I have been with for close to 10 years paying me steady dividends. I also pay a yearly subscription to 6 analysis that do the heavy lifting (analysis) for me concerning sustainability and business model.

But, surely you have to question what's going to happen to some of these smaller lenders/investors in the face of the coming commercial r.e. meltdown, no? Just curious if you're thinking in terms of risk-adjusted returns, not just absolute returns.

EDIT: Or maybe after 10 years of returns, you feel like you've recouped enough of your original investment to not care.

I consider myself average at best. I've made every mistake in the book. But one thing I've learned is you don't have to be a super investor to build wealth. You just have to be willing to invest rather than spend and to put ALL your money into the market especially at the beginning.

The fact that you recognize that you’ve made mistakes makes you above average. Most people plug along cluelessly.

But, surely you have to question what's going to happen to some of these smaller lenders/investors in the face of the coming commercial r.e. meltdown, no? Just curious if you're thinking in terms of risk-adjusted returns, not just absolute returns.

EDIT: Or maybe after 10 years of returns, you feel like you've recouped enough of your original investment to not care.

Commercial REITS (not to be confused with office REITs) are just 1 of the 100 types of REITs out there. There are REITS for cell towers, REITs for billboards (new one on me!), REITs for timber... Commercial REIT meltdown will not have much of an impact on me because I am diversified across multiple types of REITs. My commercial REITS carry the lien on the EQUIPMENT and facilities of the commercial entity. If the commercial entity defaults, the REIT gets the assets. Not many defaults in that area as they don't want to lose their "stuff".

I have 4 dividend payers that have paid me so much that I cashed in my original principal, redeployed it somewhere else and am now playing with house money.

I've only been tracking dividends since 2016 but my spreadsheet says I made 250k on dividends alone since 2016 and it is growing every year since I DRIP.

It depends...

I voted above average but that's compared to U.S. society as a whole.

Probably below average compared to many on this forum.

Comparing to benchmarks, DW and me are very much average but our system works for us and that's all that really matters.

I'd rather be lucky than good and I think that's just about where I fall. I rated myself below average. I've made so many mistakes investing that I could probably write a book. BUT I got the "saving thing" right. I saved a lot which has made up for a lot of foolish mistakes. Now, Megacorp stock is making me look like a real smart guy. Heh, heh, it's an illusion - but I'll take it.:cool:

Performance in Fidelity shows past 12 months dividends. Dividend view shows projected 12 months dividends.
OK thanks for clarification! I was looking for the next year but indeed there is a footnote from Fidelity: Est. Annual Income The Est. Annual Income column displays the Estimated Annual Income (EAI) to be received from dividends on select security types. This represents the estimated income for a specific security over the next 12 months.

Back
Top Bottom