Poll: How many cocktails do you have per week?

How many Cocktails do you drink per week?

• Less than 1

Votes: 118 41.1%
  • More than 1 but less than 3

Votes: 38 13.2%
  • More than 3 but less than 14

Votes: 85 29.6%
  • More than 14

Votes: 46 16.0%

• Total voters
I'll have a beer with dinner 3 or 4 times a week. Occasionally I'll have more than one if we are visiting with friends but that means I tend to drink fewer the rest of the week and still end up at 3 or 4.

In the summer I'll sometimes replace a beer with a gin and tonic.

We used to split a bottle of wine with dinner several nights k, but cut back mainly for weight management reasons. Now we mainly drink when entertaining with others, although DH and I will still enjoy some wine with dinner at home or out occasionally. I also like margaritas and certain other specialty drinks.

Around 1 to 2 drinks a week. Usually wine or beer.

I use wine and brandy in cooking and baking. Does that count? lol

Zero. My wife does not drink so I rarely drink alcohol. When we go out for dinner I sometimes order a glass of red wine or beer.
+1 Wife doesn't drink and I don't like the taste. I would rather have a beer but most restaurants don't have what I prefer. If I have a beer it is usually a chocolate stout at home and then maybe only one every couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Three to five drinks a week, almost never more than one in a day, and could be beer, wine or cocktail. I don’t really care about the studies, especially one with so many maybes and qualifiers in it. Probably like some of the the mistaken Covid correlations people have been led to believe (not for this thread). I don’t want to live to [-]100[/-] 90 or even close anyway. I’m looking for quality of life, not quantity. YMMV

It is nice that it’s more socially acceptable to be a non drinker these days. In my regular golf groups there are several non drinkers, and they’re no more/less welcome before, during or after a round. And they don’t seem to mind the drinkers either. Non drinkers weren’t as welcome IME 40 years ago. I sometimes hand out 50ml bottles on the first tee (we usually have 8 or 12 players), and Gatorade to the non drinkers - no one forgotten, everyone is happy.

Last edited:
That third category is awfully broad! I have 2 oz. of scotch with some water added every night. I measure it. I'm female and low body weight so I don't want to overdo it. Alcohol abuse killed my first husband many years after we divorced.

I actually like some mixed drinks- a good Bloody Mary or G&T or a Margarita with Mexican food but other than the bloody Mary they've got a lot of extra calories so I don't have them very often.

I voted based off drinks, not "cocktails," which would be less than 1. My answer is more than I should (I know it's not good for me) but less than many. I pretty much only drink socially but I'm socializing a lot these days. At restaurants I'll sometimes order an N/A option but at breweries, the N/A options are often very limited. I do not like being drunk but do really like craft beer so.... At BYOB, I often bring Craft N/A beers (there are some real good ones now) and no one is the wiser.

Last night I had 3 mild beers and a whiskey neat over the course of 5.5 hours enjoying some great company and entertainment at an Irish Bar.

0. Used to, quit as it messes with DWs meds.

When my wife and I were w@#king, we had a strict rule against alcohol during the work week (Sunday through Friday, close of business). When I retired, the frequency did not really change (alcohol about 1x per week) for me but it can now occur on any day ending in "Y". My wife might have a few drinks throughout the week, then go weeks/month with none. No pattern/routine with us.

I voted less than 1. But not zero. My wife and I both enjoy whiskey (bourbon, rye mainly, a little Scotch and Irish) but I don't drink regularly. Some weeks I might have a pour on 1 or 2 nights, other weeks not at all. If we go to a tasting event, we'll have several small pours.

The past 3 months, my wife has been struggling with a back issue and hasn't been able to drink at all due to pain meds. As a result, I haven't really been drinking either. I've probably had 4 or 5 drinks in 3 months. I'm not going to sit there drinking in front of her when I know she can't have any.

Hopefully she'll be able to get off the meds sometime soon so that we can resume enjoying it together.

The article is dated August 2017. I'd guess there have been some updates to this in the last 5 years.

and, the article seems to be all over the place. First it discusses "light drinkers" as those who partake 3 or less times per week and their better outcomes. But then it refers to a study, with no citation, about "daily drinkers" were supposedly twice as likely to live to age 85 than nondrinkers. That sentence defined daily drinkers as...4 drinks a day for men (!!).
I don't care this is from WebMD. The article is a crock of $&!t to me.

No cocktails. We have bottles of duty free liquer that we have not touched in years....other than perhaps rum and Grand Marnier, etc for cooking.

Glass of red wine probably five nights a week. Plus wine in cooking.

Beer a few times during the week in hot weather.

Only me. DD is TT. She does not drink it but she certainly cooks with it!

It depends. rarely at home, more so socially, especially on vacation with friends.
So lately it has pretty much been none! Except for the bottle of WinterJack apple whiskey at Christmas, I think that is the only thing I have had this past year.

Yeah... the term cocktails is misleading. I answered it as if the word meant 'alcoholic beverage' - so includes wine, beer. etc.

We have an alcoholic beverage every other night. Sometimes 2 in one night, but never more. Some nights we split a bottle of wine... Other nights we'll have IPAs... Last night we had actual cocktails - we had some good limes so I made margaritas.

We made our 'rules' after a long discussion about my mom's alcoholism and hubby's brother's substance abuse. We both enjoy a drink - but want to make sure we don't slip into daydrinking, overindulging, etc... Just easier to have guidelines so we don't make bad decisions regarding having more after having a drink or two.

My Apple Watch has signaled random AFIB's over the past two years. Not many, about two or three times a year, lasting 5 to 15 min. After reading the link below and several others, I stopped all alcohol consumption. Now, I stopped about three months ago, and no AFIB since. Not enough time passage as AFIB's were 6 to 8 months apart.

I guess my point is for every good story about the benifits of a glass of wine, there is another of, well, ''Not so fast''.

"growing evidence suggests that in general, the more you drink on a daily basis, the more likely you are to be diagnosed with afib. Even small amounts make a difference. One observational study that tracked people over an average of 14 years found that even a single drink per day — a glass of wine, a beer, or a shot of whiskey, gin, or other spirits — was linked to a 16% higher risk of developing afib compared with not drinking at all."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/alcohol-and-atrial-fibrillation

DW and I have our nightly "Family Cocktail Hour" before dinner. We have the TV off, and sit around and discuss whatever is going on either in our lives or around us.

Usually Marts or Goose on the rocks with a dish of peanuts. Grandpa started the tradition before mom was born but he made it a literal full hour with as many refills as you could handle, but that's another story.

I typically have a glass of scotch before I go to bed. It helps me get to sleep. Once or twice a week I’ll have a glass or two of wine, often skipping the scotch if I have it later in the evening.

I use wine and brandy in cooking and baking. Does that count? lol

+1 When we have wine or rum in the house, it is almost always fro DW"s cooking. Over the course of a year I probably average an alcoholic drink (4 oz wine or <2 oz rum) less than once per week.

What about those Anton Berg chocolates? We got a set in early November and finally finished them off about 2 weeks ago.

I would say I average one alcoholic drink per month. The yeast in beer does not agree with my digestive system, but I still have one or two light beers per month. I usually have one glass of wine (merlot) at a restaurant we go to once per month. I have a crown on the rocks maybe once a month and a margarita at a Mexican restaurant maybe once every three months. If I had to stick with one thing, it would probably be the Merlot.

1-2 per day, beer/wine/scotch, including an ounce of scotch after dinner. Occasional G&T in the summer.

Pretty much zero now, but at a party or family gathering I'll have a glass of wine or two.

Zero. My chemo therapy and alcohol do not mix in any quantity. I have however discovered that non alcohol IPA beer is not half bad. Non alcohol wine on the other hand is undrinkable (at least the ones I have tried).

I’ve found the NA beers from Athletic Brewing Company to be very good.

If going out for a drink with friends (which hasn't been lately) I would get a club soda with lemon; or lime if I was feeling like a walk on the wild side.

Otherwise, beverage of choice is black coffee; although have been trying to incorporate a bit of green tea when I remember.

After nearly 50 years it's still the Friday night 6 pack for me. DW is much more selective and it must only happen in Key West.

Back
Top Bottom