Poll: How many cocktails do you have per week?

How many Cocktails do you drink per week?

• Less than 1

Votes: 118 41.1%
  • More than 1 but less than 3

Votes: 38 13.2%
  • More than 3 but less than 14

Votes: 85 29.6%
  • More than 14

Votes: 46 16.0%

• Total voters
12.7 ounces of (usually) Cabernet wine with dinner most nights, over the last 30 or 35 years.

And I said
No, no, no, no, I don't drink it no more
I'm tired of waking up on the floor
No, thank you, please, it only makes me sneeze
And then it makes it hard to find the door

I live in Wisconsin, which is a very boozy state. In terms of the percentage of people whose drinking habits are described as excessive, we're No. 2, behind only North Dakota. I remember a boss who was from outside the state remarking how pervasive drinking was here -- that people were tippling at a baby shower. Yep, that's how it is.

I've wondered what makes it so -- ethnic heritage, long winters, etc. A 2018 USA Today article notes that states that rank high on the "excessive drinking" scale tend to have relatively high household incomes, or at least lower poverty rates. They're also relatively low on the percentage of the population in fair or poor health. Both seem counterintuitive. A high percentage of traffic deaths are alcohol related, though. Here's a link to the story I cited from: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/03/08/these-americas-drunkest-states/406342002/

Another article that distills the numbers to alcohol consumption per capita sees the ranking differently, putting New Hampshire, Delaware and Nevada in the top three. Wisconsin and NoDak still make the top 10. https://thelistwire.usatoday.com/lists/which-state-drinks-the-most-alcohol-heres-a-ranking-of-all-50-plus-dc/

As for my personal habits, I like beer. I usually have a couple per day, but cocktail hour comes early -- I find that if I drink around dinnertime or after, it disrupts my sleep.

I live in Wisconsin, which is a very boozy state. In terms of the percentage of people whose drinking habits are described as excessive, we're No. 2, behind only North Dakota. I remember a boss who was from outside the state remarking how pervasive drinking was here -- that people were tippling at a baby shower. Yep, that's how it is.

I've wondered what makes it so -- ethnic heritage, long winters, etc. A 2018 USA Today article notes that states that rank high on the "excessive drinking" scale tend to have relatively high household incomes, or at least lower poverty rates. They're also relatively low on the percentage of the population in fair or poor health. Both seem counterintuitive. A high percentage of traffic deaths are alcohol related, though. Here's a link to the story I cited from: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/03/08/these-americas-drunkest-states/406342002/

Another article that distills the numbers to alcohol consumption per capita sees the ranking differently, putting New Hampshire, Delaware and Nevada in the top three. Wisconsin and NoDak still make the top 10. https://thelistwire.usatoday.com/li...st-alcohol-heres-a-ranking-of-all-50-plus-dc/

As for my personal habits, I like beer. I usually have a couple per day, but cocktail hour comes early -- I find that if I drink around dinnertime or after, it disrupts my sleep.

I am from Illinois but have spent a fair amount of time in your beautiful state. I had a friend who attended Marquette University back in the late seventies. I remember being amazed back then at all the places that served beer, including the Student Union building on campus and the Milwaukee Zoo! When you drove through the countryside back then, it seemed like every intersection in the country had at least one bar or bar/Supper Club. Some intersections had two or three bars. My wife and I still take a short vacation to northern Wisconsin about every summer, but the bars do not seem as prevalent as back in the seventies.

I am from Illinois but have spent a fair amount of time in your beautiful state. I had a friend who attended Marquette University back in the late seventies. I remember being amazed back then at all the places that served beer, including the Student Union building on campus and the Milwaukee Zoo! When you drove through the countryside back then, it seemed like every intersection in the country had at least one bar or bar/Supper Club. Some intersections had two or three bars. My wife and I still take a short vacation to northern Wisconsin about every summer, but the bars do not seem as prevalent as back in the seventies.

I was at the San Diego zoo two months back and recall seeing more than a few people grabbing beer from the beer cart before it was even noon. I am talking like 10am and 11am. Maybe they were in town visiting from Wisconsin?

I worked for a high risk car insurance provider and I remember when we were working with DUI/DWI related data in our database, Wisconsin had BY FAR the highest number of drivers with DWIs. I remember as high as 14 DWIs for surprisingly quite a few drivers in Wisconsin. I suppose after a point, its just habit to drive to the bar, drink, then drive home. :confused:

I live in MN and lots of my friends binge drink, or drink way too often (daily with multiple drinks). I fell into that trap for a decade and sobered up after realizing life would be easier and better without alcohol.

I want to report that I eliminated my one glass of wine a day on January 1 and have lost over 10 pounds, that is the only change I made. Amazing how many calories are in one glass of wine per day.

I want to report that I eliminated my one glass of wine a day on January 1 and have lost over 10 pounds, that is the only change I made. Amazing how many calories are in one glass of wine per day.

Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom