Poll:"internet" or "Internet"

Which is true for you?

• I think "Internet" should be capitalized, and if I see it lowercase, I notice the error.

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • I think "internet" should not be capitalized, and if I see it capitalized, I notice the error

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have never really noticed this, and I don't care either way

Votes: 33 58.9%

• Total voters
As the thread slowly dribbles down the list of current posts... :LOL:
A question for scrabbler1...

Where are the official U.S. Scrabble rules?....

and are two letter words legal?... Grandson has memorized ALL of the two letter words, and is whomping everyone, upsetting the whole family.

Here is a link to the official rules for school scrabble tourneys. A few of them do not apply to adult tourneys, though.

http://www.hasbro.com/common/assets...66AC7739/53EACD5350569047F5EB3ABB177111CA.pdf

Two-letter words are legal. There are about 100 of them legal in North American play.

OK, good info. I'll lowercase it, and expect that about 18% of readers will think I'm wrong.

OK, good info. I'll lowercase it, and expect that about 18% of readers will think I'm wrong.

How about putting your explanation in some notes somewhere - that way those that think it should be cap will know it was intentional.

The arguments for caps were persuasive, but then the 'one and only one' didn't do it for me. I had to think, but there is only one 'ionosphere' on Earth, and only one 'mantle', and we don't capitalize those.

-ERD50

I think the internet started with all capitals, and then just frittered them all away...

I don't have the references and it was a discussion a looong time ago, but here goes:

The 'Internet' is a proper noun that refers to the network upon which we exchange emails, browse websites, twit and FB, shell into servers, etc.

An 'internet' is any collection of networks tied together by an internetworking protocol, of which the Internet is a rather large example.

nash031 described another internet, one that the government uses for secret stuff the same way us regular gomers use the Internet. It is NOT connected to The Internet.

I don't think you'll find a law or bible verse to support this, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it...:D

Back
Top Bottom