Poll: Primary Retirement Income Source

Excluding Soc Sec, what is/will be your PRIMARY retirement income approach?

• SWR/Constant percentage approach

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • Supplementing with part-time/sporadic work income as needed

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Norwegian widow, spend dividends & gains, leave principal untouched

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Time based segments, Buckets of Money, Grangaard, etc.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Essential vs discretionary income, safe investments for essential

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Pension, annuity etc.

Votes: 62 41.1%
  • Passive income, from spouse, family, business ownership, etc.

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters
This survey includes answers that are not mutually exclusive. For example, "Pension/Annuity" maybe part of an overall / primary "SWR/Constant percentage approach" or can include a significant amount of "part time/sporadic work". Is it possible to setup surveys with mutiple choice formats ?
It is very difficult to create an elegant and still useful poll.

Ha

However, the question here was

So to me, it seems like the poll was set up properly for that question.

Absolutely agree, I was simply answering the member question.
Is it possible to setup surveys with mutiple choice formats ?

This survey includes answers that are not mutually exclusive. For example, "Pension/Annuity" maybe part of an overall / primary "SWR/Constant percentage approach" or can include a significant amount of "part time/sporadic work". Is it possible to setup surveys with mutiple choice formats ?
That's what was meant by comment 3 in post #1.

Comments/caveats:
  1. Soc Sec is not an option because it's almost universal, and a part of most everyone's retirement income. If Soc Sec is your primary source of retirement income, please choose the Pension/Annuity option.
  2. Flexibility seems to be an essential ingredient to any successful retirement income plan, that's understood and assumed for all poll answers (including SWR).
  3. Using various sources is also probably very common, that's understood and assumed with all poll answers as well.
  4. I have deliberately left off OTHER as an option, though there may be others.
The question is what is/will be your PRIMARY source of retirement income as you know it today?

ok - thank you. It would be interesting to see what the breakdown of answers would be with a multiple choice format, and the question being "What are/will be your main sources of retirement income as you know it today?".

That's what was meant by comment 3 in post #1.

It is very difficult to create an elegant and still useful poll.

Ha
This one worked as I hoped. If I could figure out a way to add some instructions with the poll, it might help. I put them in post #1, but sometimes folks don't see them, especially when the poll gets beyond page 1. FWIW...

I know that my wife and I planned our entire strategy around that CSRS pension. Without it, neither of us would be able to retire for many years.

That was our situation too. Not federal CSRS, but the functional equivalent, since the government I retired from is one of the few with no unfunded pension liability. Without that in hand I wouldn't have dared to retire.

That was our situation too. Not federal CSRS, but the functional equivalent, since the government I retired from is one of the few with no unfunded pension liability. Without that in hand I wouldn't have dared to retire.

Some of us will have to be more daring. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom