Poll:response to donation request?

How do you respond to a donation request?

• Give the kid some money.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Politely decline the request.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

socca

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You are outside your residence when a kid (around 8 years old) from a neighborhood family you don't know walks up. She asks for money so that she can attend a local educational attraction. What do you do?

Last edited:
Not enough context for me to definitively answer yes or no. Do you know the kid even though you don't know the family? Did the kid provide any information about the local educational attraction? I am also wondering why an 8 year-old kid would be walking the neighborhood unaccompanied by an adult making such requests.

No. No money out the front door or over the phone unless you know the person or family personally.

"sorry, dear, but I lost my job and have nothing to spare."

"Get off my lawn!"

The kids around here sell something such as a coupon booklet, cookies, candy, a calendar with coupons, washing out your garbage cans, power washing your driveway, fresh vegetables they grew themselves, etc. I have never been asked for a straight-up cash donation with nothing in return.

Other kids ask for donations for the local food pantry or library or something that is not themselves.

So I would have to say I would stiff them and I would tell them why and ask them to tell their parents, too.

Last edited:
No. No money out the front door or over the phone unless you know the person or family personally.

This is pretty much my rule, but an 8-year old who definitely lives on the block is kind of borderline. Normally I'd say I don't do business at the door/on the spot when dealing with solicitors, but the kid isn't selling anything.

How about "go ask your parents"? :D

A few years back we had a roving group of teens in the neighborhood seeking donations to fund a summer trip to Hawaii. Seriously!

I wouldn’t give cash to an 8-year-old—she goes home, mom finds the money, kid says Mr Socca wants to help me and gave it to me. Could be taken the wrong way. I’d buy a raffle ticket, girl scout cookies, etc., with a check if there’s an adult with him or her.

To quote a former First Lady, "Just Say No!"

Living in, working in, or commuting through New York City for nearly 40 years made it easier and easier to simply turn down all unsolicited requests from strangers for money.

Not having gone into NYC much in the last 10 years has nearly eliminated all of this unwanted attention. When I do get approached once in a while, perhaps in a mall parking lot, I still say "no" and continue walking.

I wouldn’t give cash to an 8-year-old—she goes home, mom finds the money, kid says Mr Socca wants to help me and gave it to me. Could be taken the wrong way. I’d buy a raffle ticket, girl scout cookies, etc., with a check if there’s an adult with him or her.
I do not blame you for being paranoid, especially in this day and age. I was in the bathroom of a restaurant and there was a little boy trying to turn on the water, but he was too short. I turned on the water for him and gave.him some paper towels. When I left the restroom I told the father what I had done for his son, and he thanked me.

"I don't have a job". Which is true , technically.

Wow - tough crowd. :LOL:

When I was growing up, there was an old woman (at least, old in the eyes of a kid) who lived alone in a house up the street. She was vicious and nasty to the kids in the neighborhood. During Halloween, all of the houses on the street were decorated and welcoming except for hers, so we decided that she was a witch - an actual witch. :D

I don't want to perceived like this by the neighborhood kids, hence my dilemma. However, I politely declined this young lady's request. My main concern was that I didn't want other neighborhood kids emerging from the woodwork asking for a handout.

BWE makes a good point: a single, never-married male living alone does not want to be perceived by neighboring parents as overly friendly with the neighborhood kids, especially in an area like mine with many traditionally-minded folks. Fortunately, there aren't many kids in my neighborhood so it's really not an issue. :greetings10:

In our old 'hood there were teens dropped off and sent into the streets. Sometimes it's magazines, sometimes an orphanage. Always turn em down. Oh, wait...Mrs Scrapr bought some carpet cleaner in a spray bottle. That teen had some charisma. And the product worked really good!

If I knew the kid or knew of him I would probably throw him a fiver. If I don't know him I'd try to verify he lived somewhat close by. What school do you go to? Are you on Arnold street? And go from there

A lot of the HS teams sell a coupon book for various stuff. I quit buying that but try to donate to the team directly. No 30% cut off the top for the marketing company

Nope, now if they were doing a bake sale, mowing lawns, washing cars, whatever. I would donate double if I knew the event was legit.

Last edited:
Heh, heh, we had a family of scam artists move in nearby several years back. We didn't realize it at the time. The kids were always angling for something but we never "bit." Then we found out that "mom" was buying stuff - maybe with stolen CCs, but in any case, she would have stuff delivered to all the neighbors and then send the kids over asking if something had arrived for them "erroneously" (no, they didn't know that word, but they knew how to sell it.) The family bailed and left their trashed rental (unpaid rent) just in time to beat the law. Such crime is typically low priority, so I doubt they ever got caught and simply moved on to an ungrazed greener pasture. So, NO. Unless I know the person and I know the situation, I do not donate. I'm actually generous to a fault, but I resent being taken advantage of. YMMV

"I'm not supposed to talk to strangers".

"STRANGER DANGER!!!!'

Seriously... I had a boy scout tell me that one time... we were hiking at a state park and my young daughter, 10 or so at the time, was sitting next to a small pond talking... a couple of boy scouts on a camping trip came to the pond and one started to talk to me... the other kinda loudly said the above... REALLY, you come to where I am sitting with my daughter and then cry out stranger danger when I am just sitting there....

Answer to OP, no money unless I know them in some way... or if selling girl scout cookies as DW will buy them... I think they are overpriced but then again they are to make money for girl scouts...

I'd normally be sympathetic to (or maybe emotionally manipulated by) an 8 year old asking for a "donation," but the request is for her to "attend an educational attraction," which I'm imagining would be like a museum or planetarium or something like that. That doesn't sound so much like a "donation" as her asking me to pay for her ticket. So now I'm wondering why her parents aren't paying for her to go, and why is she asking me?

"STRANGER DANGER!!!!'

Seriously... I had a boy scout tell me that one time... we were hiking at a state park and my young daughter, 10 or so at the time, was sitting next to a small pond talking... a couple of boy scouts on a camping trip came to the pond and one started to talk to me... the other kinda loudly said the above... REALLY, you come to where I am sitting with my daughter and then cry out stranger danger when I am just sitting there....

"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away"

Buffalo Springfield 1966

It seems very odd. A lot of schools that have big trips planned usually have some sort of official way to seek support with something to sell, but a big profit margin (ala girl scout cookies). Not simply "go ask for money".

I'd be uncomfortable about the parents and feel bad for the kid. I'd probably just say sorry, don't have any cash, the same as I do when I walk past the occasional lemonade stand in the neighborhood.

A few years back we had a roving group of teens in the neighborhood seeking donations to fund a summer trip to Hawaii. Seriously!

There was a discussion on this on another Board I'm on- bands playing in the Rose Bowl Parade, the basketball team going to Alaska... no, thanks. Those are "wants".

I like the "I don't have cash" answer although its would be a lie in my case. Typically, though, I have a bunch of 20s from my last ATM visit. As soon as I break a 20, somehow the rest gets spent! And I'm not giving a 20 to a vague cause. I'll make direct donations if I think it's a good cause.

In our old 'hood there were teens dropped off and sent into the streets. Sometimes it's magazines, sometimes an orphanage. Always turn em down.

Oh, I hated that in our last neighborhood (typical over-built suburb full of McMansions). They always hit up the "rich" people. Now that I'm alone I don't answer the door unless it's someone I know or expect.

Last edited:
Around here, when there is a cost for class trips the school usually won't require it from a family that qualifies for a school lunch. In those cases they accept donations from parents to subsidize families who can't afford it, in which case we usually pay at least twice the fee, because we can.

I would say not to donate to the cause in this case also.

I was just contacted by a person wanted to buy a carving. Then all of a sudden a few weeks later he told me it was for a charity donation. Well, I said NO, that the cost would be what I quoted you before plus shipping. Then he came back with some other deals he wanted to make with me on these carvings. LOL

Bottom line I wouldn't for many reason in your situation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom