Popcorn ceiling removal

While it was not a popcorn ceiling, we had a house we restored/remodeled that had ceilings with cracked plaster and peeling paint. We just covered them with 5/16" wood. It started off as knotty pine tongue-and-groove boards from Home Depot. They came in a package that was a little over $1 per square foot. (in 2014 prices) We primed and painted them white to get the look of vintage bead-board ceilings. I put them up with an air-powered brad nailer and added crown molding for a classic look.

Depending on the size of the 'popcorn' the wood might be able to cover it smoothly.

Just my 2¢ based on what we did in the past. Sorry about the third photo. I could not get it to rotate as I had the camera rotated when I snapped the photo.

Great job on the ceiling, really fits in with the style (old) of the house.

An alternative I remember from somewhere years ago was that an easier safer method is to just add a new layer of sheetrock on the ceiling. This seals in the old popcorn (and whatever asbestos may be in it), and lets one do a nice new ceiling finish on a good brandnew surface. When done, since the height is dropped only 1/2 inch, no one notices any difference.
Great idea! I know a contractor who can texture the ceiling at a reasonable price so all i have to do is nail sheet rock and putty the seams. Works well for 8 or 9 foot ceilings.

Just wait 5 years. The cycle will turn and it will be in fashion again because it is "retro" and "vintage chic"

:angel:

Just wait 5 years. The cycle will turn and it will be in fashion again because it is "retro" and "vintage chic"

:angel:

I thought that for years, but finally gave in and had contractors remove the popcorn, and texture and paint. Every visitor to my house, when asked would they buy my place, thinking about selling, said can't stand the popcorn.

I thought I didn't mind it, but removing the popcorn really brightened up the place, popcorn ceilings have lots of shadows. And the place went from dated to modern looking.

We complained about the texture ceilings when we bought our current home 3 yrs ago, but were not motivated enough to do anything about them having heard horror stories about the mess and effort required. Recently, a tree fell on our house so we had to replace ceilings in the great room and kitchen. We took this opportunity to have the ceilings scraped in the main living area. We were already living with the mess involved when rebuilding and it was the right time for us to get this done. So my advice is if you are considering a major remodel, then while you're at it, it makes sense to do the ceilings at the same time. I have a feeling THAT JUST DOING the ceilings would have led to other things (repainting walls, trim, etc).

So how many have had to replace the Sheetrock underneath (too irregular just to tape/mud) once the popcorn finish was removed removed?

Back
Top Bottom