Popeye Elbow

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I think I have it. Last night a large fluid filled bulge "appeared" on the tip of my elbow. Has anyone experienced this condition? How was it resolved?

In thinking back, I smacked my elbow pretty hard a couple of months ago going over the bars on my mountain bike while riding downhill :facepalm:. It seemed to heal up OK except I have still noticed a small tender spot around the tip of the ulna still when I would put pressure on it just right.

It may have been building up fluid for a while and I just didn't really notice it with the looseness of the skin around the elbow. I did ride a rough section of downhill fire roads yesterday that might have aggravated things w/the impact travelling up through the front end (even with the suspension).

Until I see my physician next week, I am using the RICE treatment. Rest (at least no more jarring rides), ice (margaritas should work ;)), compression (wrapped up tight) and elevation (well other than standing in a doorway w/my arm up against the jamb, this one is tough to maintain without looking like I want to answer a question).

Ganglion cyst? They're more common on the wrist, but I've heard on them on the elbow. Don't think you can go wrong with the RICE treatment. You could try the "bible treatment", but I would wait for a real diagnosis. I don't know if many MD's would suggest the bible treatment, personally I'd do it before draining or surgery.
Best Wishes,
MRG

Ganglion cyst? They're more common on the wrist, but I've heard on them on the elbow. Don't think you can go wrong with the RICE treatment. You could try the "bible treatment", but I would wait for a real diagnosis. I don't know if many MD's would suggest the bible treatment, personally I'd do it before draining or surgery.
Best Wishes,
MRG

I remember watching an episode of Doc Martin when a guy came in with a bump on his wrist. Doc Martin told him it was a "Ganglion" Had him hold his wrist out. Doc Martin took a book and slammed it into his wrist. Problem solved.

I think I have it. Last night a large fluid filled bulge "appeared" on the tip of my elbow. Has anyone experienced this condition? How was it resolved?

In thinking back, I smacked my elbow pretty hard a couple of months ago going over the bars on my mountain bike while riding downhill :facepalm:. It seemed to heal up OK except I have still noticed a small tender spot around the tip of the ulna still when I would put pressure on it just right.

It may have been building up fluid for a while and I just didn't really notice it with the looseness of the skin around the elbow. I did ride a rough section of downhill fire roads yesterday that might have aggravated things w/the impact travelling up through the front end (even with the suspension).

Until I see my physician next week, I am using the RICE treatment. Rest (at least no more jarring rides), ice (margaritas should work ;)), compression (wrapped up tight) and elevation (well other than standing in a doorway w/my arm up against the jamb, this one is tough to maintain without looking like I want to answer a question).
Olecranon bursitis is my guess. Easily taken care of with drainage of the bursa, sometimes with steroid injection. Let us know what your doctor says.

Olecranon bursitis is my guess. Easily taken care of with drainage of the bursa, sometimes with steroid injection. Let us know what your doctor says.

I had this just at the end of last year. It started on Oct 10, 2013 and didn't resolve until Christmas. Mine looked exactly like the pictures I've seen of elbow bursitis when I Googled it. I never went to the doctor. Everything I read on the net said it would resolve on it's own given enough time - and sure enough it did.

I remember watching an episode of Doc Martin when a guy came in with a bump on his wrist. Doc Martin told him it was a "Ganglion" Had him hold his wrist out. Doc Martin took a [-]book[/-] Bible and slammed it into his wrist. Problem solved.

Bible treatment?

Bible treatment?

Yep, Bible or similar size book. Nothing to do with any spiritual aspects. Just good for whacking.
MRG

Had that problem once. For other reason I was the Doc's. As aside I mentioned it. He said there was stuff he could do/prescribe..... then said it will go away by itself.

In a weeks time it was gone. Self service by my body.

+1

Not going to respond to getting assaulted by a Bible. You could add Advil (barring any reasons that you can't take it) to your RICE regimen.

I don't think i'd try the bible treatment. I'd go with the md option. I've had a cyst on my ankle for years. Now I have swollen veins (I think they're veins) surrounding the cyst. I don't know if it's related, but maybe I should have gone to a dr sooner. As we get older, it makes more and more sense to visit a dr when things run amuck.

Last edited:
Had the ganglion cyst on wrist. Dr. told me they're called "bible crackers" because that's how they dealt with them, smack with a big book. Also said that they'd frequently come back that way. I lived with mine for about 6 months and finally opted to have it surgically removed. It was just plain annoying. Coworker named it Bob in honor of our supervisor:LOL: Cut Bob out!

Had the ganglion cyst on wrist. Dr. told me they're called "bible crackers" because that's how they dealt with them, smack with a big book. Also said that they'd frequently come back that way. I lived with mine for about 6 months and finally opted to have it surgically removed. It was just plain annoying. Coworker named it Bob in honor of our supervisor:LOL: Cut Bob out!

I never had heard of them until 3 years ago. I knew that I hadn't hurt my wrist but yet one grew in that spot (probably caused from weight lifting). Not initially knowing what it was I just assumed the worst that it was a tumor or something, so I did what a normal guy would and just ignored it. A couple months later I ran into a relative who was a nurse and she told me the name of it. A golfing buddy later told me he had indeed smashed his with a book. I decided to continue my then strategy of ignoring it. It magically about 6 months later went away as quickly as it came and has not returned yet.

So officially, as Doc Rich suspected, olecranon bursitis. Just continue what I've been doing. Add in a prescription strength anti-inflammatory instead of the otc. Had an X-ray on the elbow just to be sure nothing is going on in there from the fall.

And I've got a little ganglion cyst buddy on my ring finger knuckle too. Just call me Lumpy. Or Clarence.

I remember watching an episode of Doc Martin when a guy came in with a bump on his wrist. Doc Martin told him it was a "Ganglion" Had him hold his wrist out. Doc Martin took a book and slammed it into his wrist. Problem solved.

My grandad had the "bible treatment" back in the 50's! It worked from all I can recall.

The X-ray was just to pad the bill. I've had bursitis in the elbow from having my arm in a sling for about 8 months (don't ask). Basically, it goes away without treatment, but it is odd at first.

Olecranon elbow..

Scary and pretty ugly. The synovial fluid that fills the space between the joints (bones) is enclosed in a sac (bursa)... for whatever reason, and possibly no reason,the sac leaks and allows the fluid to seep out and end up as a large swelling that doesn't go away in a short time. The only serious risk is usually infection.
Elbow (Olecranon) Fractures-OrthoInfo - AAOS
When it happens, most sufferers go to the emergency room, where after the $500 fee, they take an XRay to be sure there is no bone fracture, a hypodermic drain sample (for infection) and then send you home... telling you that the swelling will eventually go down... three or four months to a year.
Scared the heck out of me two years ago... now back to normal... took about 8 months.
The draining sounds like a solution, but it seems doctors don't like to do this, and prefer natural healing.
Best thing... not normally life threatening except in cases of infection which are not common.

My take as a victim... not a medical opinion.

Last edited:
Sometimes they get infected though. If your elbow becomes red, hot, and painful, call your doc ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom