Post ER goals?

Just what I need and annual review of my ER effectiveness. Do I have to do a self assessment?
Nope. You will get enough input/comments from others on this forum:

Attachments

• peer_review.jpg
    peer_review.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1
Just what I need and annual review of my ER effectiveness. Do I have to do a self assessment?

LOL! Yes, absolutely, a self assessment, plus the anonymous assessment of your coworkers, all carefully shredded to leave no crumb trail for future litigation. I'm still employed, can you tell? They have this incredibly complex system here which they don't actually use appropriately.

Just kidding - go loaf! :D

Yep, along with your quarterly numbers and your stretch goals... of course including your [-]headcount[/-] spouse & kids as well as yourself.

OK, so I'm still goal oriented. That doesn't make me a bad person, does it? Anyway, my newest goal is to help the old animals at the shelter I volunteer at. Yup, lost my old kitty recently and need to redirect some of my type-a personality into something positive so I don't go into the negativity spiral.

I contacted a company who is one of the two big players in vet lab work and think I might be able to get some low cost/no cost work done on the shelter animals, particularly the older ones. This is a big business. I had no idea until I researched it. Talking billions. Not surprising considering the number of pets requiring tests for everything from routine check ups to pre op blood work.

This company is interested because it's good PR and they hope to increase market share in the area my shelter's located in. My theory: people might be more comfortable adopting an older animal if the lab tests show no major problems. If they have health problems, better to know it so we can treat it. It doesn't mean people won't still want them - lots of folks have a big place in their hearts for "special needs" animals. Any way it turns out, I think it's better to know more about the health of an older animal before placing them - both for the shelter and the family that takes them in.

Fingers and paws crossed....

OK, so I'm still goal oriented. That doesn't make me a bad person, does it? Anyway, my newest goal is to help the old animals at the shelter I volunteer at.
No different than what I do - deliver meals a couple of times a week through the local Meals on Wheels organization to elderly, shut-in's, along with giving blood every eight weeks at a local hospital.

But then again, I'm not on a schedule to do this "volunteer" stuff. If I don't show (of course, letting them know in advance), it's not a problem. There are others to fill in.

I don't consider these few things I do as "goals"; it just something I do for the benefit of others at this time in my retirement, and certainly not part of any "bucket/goal list"...

No different than what I do - deliver meals a couple of times a week through the local Meals on Wheels organization to elderly, shut-in's, along with giving blood every eight weeks at a local hospital.

Love to hear more about your work with the elderly. I've thought about doing this too. Have you developed a relationship with any of the elderly shut ins you deliver meals to? It must pull on your heart strings to see them. I have a soft spot in my heart for older folks.

Good for you for donating blood. DH does this like clockwork. I haven't and feel I should...I'll put it on my to do list.

While I also have to confess to the sin of being goal orientated. In my defence, when I drew up my retirement wish list it wasn't because I was setting goals. It was to convince myself that I would have enough things to do when I retire to prevent the onset of terminal boredom.

I currently have 50+ items on the list which is of concern - I could find myself busier in retirement than I am now. :crazy:

I confess that the only reason I have goals in retirement, is so that I can procrastinate. You can't procrastinate without having something you should be doing! :D

While I also have to confess to the sin of being goal orientated. In my defence, when I drew up my retirement wish list it wasn't because I was setting goals. It was to convince myself that I would have enough things to do when I retire to prevent the onset of terminal boredom.

I currently have 50+ items on the list which is of concern - I could find myself busier in retirement than I am now. :crazy:

My retirement was a "run screaming into the night sort of thing". Very little planning (beyond financial realizations) and no plans/goals at all other then getting out of there.

While I also have to confess to the sin of being goal orientated. In my defence, when I drew up my retirement wish list it wasn't because I was setting goals. ...(snip)...
OK, I know you don't really mean that being goal oriented is a sin. But I do sense a certain apologetic tone among those who mention their goals in ER. For me, I'm not going to make excuses for my orientation. I am perfectly (well, sort of ;)) comfortable with establishing goals. It really is OK to be who you want to be as long as you don't take away freedom from others. At 62 I'm trying to be comfortable with these thoughts.

And if you don't want to have goals that is just fine too. I actually take days off occasionally and give myself permission to not achieve any particular thing. It's nice to just do what you want, goals or no goals.

Another thread got me thinking this morning about setting goals once you GET to retirement. I was a goal setter and planned obsessively to be able to RE, but I don't have any goals set up now that I'm in ER, other than the standard "get the kids through college, be a good husband and dad, don't screw up the nest egg" type of goals, so I think I may need something more personal to make ER more satisfying and less, um, meandering.

Has anyone done this type of thing, and can you give me some examples of your goals, and how doing this helped (or hurt) you ER satisfaction levels?
Cardude!

Getting out of your business when you did was brilliant!!!!! And you are obviously financially independent and well set for life. And I don't know what you are going to do with the rest of your life*, but you just don't sound like a man who is ready to be retired (in the sense of just going with the flow).

I guess you really need a big project or two. Might involve collaborating with other people. Just try not to spend too much $$$$.

Audrey

*Well - I do know one super important thing on your plate - you still have kids to raise.

Cardude, have you considered starting a business selling those big-@ss electrical connectors everyone is going to need to recharge their battery powered cars? :)

I agree with REW, enjoy life! That is first and over-riding priority on all the rest. If the rest of my goals don't align with that first goal, then out the window with them, I say! Some other things though would be to lose some weight and get a bit healthier (trying to do that now, but its not working so well), hike in the mountains more, paddle a kayak more, landscape and tend the acreage, run or walk or hike or bike daily, cook more, have a successful veggie garden and family fruit orchard, do some RVing, spend a lot more time with DW, etc.

Now, those don't sound like SMART goals do they? If they did, they may not be congruant with the first goal. So, I just intend to take my time and enjoy them along the way. If they don't get done today, well, there is always tomorrow.

R

My retirement goals.....

Eat/drink whatever I want

Have a lot of sex

Take naps when I'm sleepy

The day I breathe my last breath, I want to be full, quenched, satisfied and depart this life in my sleep.

:)

Getting out of your business when you did was brilliant!!!!! And you are obviously financially independent and well set for life. And I don't know what you are going to do with the rest of your life*, but you just don't sound like a man who is ready to be retired (in the sense of just going with the flow).

I guess you really need a big project or two. Might involve collaborating with other people. Just try not to spend too much $$$$

Well, getting out of my business is obviously still bothering me a little bit since I keep writing/thinking about it. I still tell myself it was the right thing to do however, as I see many dealers continue to struggle.

I tend to bump along just fine for awhile, happy doing my busy work and kid stuff, but then all of the sudden I'll start wondering what the meaning of my life is and I start freaking out a little.

I think you're right. I think I need some more grownup human interaction, and some projects that don't cost money but keep my mind occupied. When I get bored I start spending money on crap. Hell, I was looking around for a dang travel trailer yesterday and I don't even like to RV.

As usual, thanks for all the great replies everyone!

... awhile, happy doing my busy work and kid stuff...

I think you're right. I think I need some more grownup human interaction, and some projects that don't cost money but keep my mind occupied.

"busy work" — that's probably part of the problem. You obviously need things that are more engaging than just keeping busy.

AND I think you will have to spend money to get involved with a meaningful project or two, especially if it involves other adults. The key is just not to spend too much, or make sure the project pays back some of any investment.

Audrey

My retirement goals.....
Eat/drink whatever I want
Have a lot of sex
Take naps when I'm sleepy
The day I breathe my last breath, I want to be full, quenched, satisfied and depart this life in my sleep.
:)
"One night in Bangkok"...

Spoken like a man with experience....

Nah...I'll pass. I've never cared for Thai cuisine.

Back
Top Bottom