Post your cute cat pics here

We adopted.

Well, we adopted last Saturday. We had discussed waiting until our cat-sitter neighbors returned in the spring but I couldn't go any longer and DH barely protested. I was getting too depressed without a kitty around. I've had a cat in the house for nearly all of my life, but I did not expect the emotional impact of becoming feline free.

She'd lived in the shelter office (maybe 12'x12') for about 18 months as she did not do well (whatever that means) in the "general population." She is hypersensitive to the normal sounds of a house and goes on high alert when someone closes the fridge or the furnace comes on. I'm sure that will wear off with time. She loves to play and be petted and brushed but she heads for behind the tv stand in her bedroom when she hits sensory overload. She was estimated to be about 4 years old and was taken into the Wood County Humane Society no-kill shelter as an "injured stray." It must have been an injury to her tail because it droops about half way from her body to the tip. She seems to feel secure if she can sleep in a cozy spot. If I put two pillows on the couch, she will sleep between them. If the couch is wide open, she will sleep behind it instead of on it.

Her name is Abby since is is mostly a "T-Abby." It's great to be "parents" again!

Attachments

• PICT0095.jpg
    PICT0095.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PICT0082.jpg
    PICT0082.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 4
Congrats, Buckeye!

Well, we adopted last Saturday. We had discussed waiting until our cat-sitter neighbors returned in the spring but I couldn't go any longer and DH barely protested. I was getting too depressed without a kitty around. I've had a cat in the house for nearly all of my life, but I did not expect the emotional impact of becoming feline free.

She'd lived in the shelter office (maybe 12'x12') for about 18 months as she did not do well (whatever that means) in the "general population." She is hypersensitive to the normal sounds of a house and goes on high alert when someone closes the fridge or the furnace comes on. I'm sure that will wear off with time. She loves to play and be petted and brushed but she heads for behind the tv stand in her bedroom when she hits sensory overload. She was estimated to be about 4 years old and was taken into the Wood County Humane Society no-kill shelter as an "injured stray." It must have been an injury to her tail because it droops about half way from her body to the tip. She seems to feel secure if she can sleep in a cozy spot. If I put two pillows on the couch, she will sleep between them. If the couch is wide open, she will sleep behind it instead of on it.

Her name is Abby since is is mostly a "T-Abby." It's great to be "parents" again!

Congratulations on the new addition to your family! Kudos to you for adopting an 'older' cat. May you have many happy years together.

omni

Buckeye, Abby is a beauty! And how good of you to adopt an "older" cat when so many people want kittens. And a hypersensitive one! But I think she will adkst---look at her eyes. There is already a sense of calm and trust.

I have an orange and white moster cat (see photo above). Looks like both of their white fur sections are fluffier than the rest---wonder why that is?

Tango and Omni,

We went the "mature" route because there are so many cats who need homes. The kittens have such an adoption advantage since they are so cute. I started crying when we first stepped into the "cattery" at the shelter. I was overwhelmed with all the cats and I wanted to take them all home with me. They all seemed to be well-cared for and they all seemed to be very happy but it was still very sad. Some of the cats have been there for 5 years.

We tried to adopt the wrong cat but it all worked out and we took Abby home (aka Bambam). We had intended on adopting a female to reduce the chance of a male spraying but after nearly two hours we hadn't made a decision. I didn't want to leave without one so we decided to take Boyd, a beautiful, long-legged, sleek, gray male.

We had to wait for about 15 minutes in the office because there was another adoption being completed (happily, they were very busy that day). While standing there waiting, I occupied myself by petting a cat who was sleeping on one of the desks in the office. When our turn came, we discovered that Boyd was already spoken for and was at the shelter for a few more days finishing up some meds. I asked if the cat I had been petting was available and she was! The office folks were very excited that Bambam (now Abby) was going to get a "forever" home. Before we went to the shelter, I felt the right cat would pick us out and she did. We just needed to move out of the cattery and into the office for her to find us!

Well, we adopted last Saturday.

Buckeye, Abby is beautiful and such a lucky kitty to have found you! Keep us posted on how she does.

Tango and Omni,

We went the "mature" route because there are so many cats who need homes. The kittens have such an adoption advantage since they are so cute. I started crying when we first stepped into the "cattery" at the shelter. I was overwhelmed with all the cats and I wanted to take them all home with me. They all seemed to be well-cared for and they all seemed to be very happy but it was still very sad. Some of the cats have been there for 5 years.

We tried to adopt the wrong cat but it all worked out and we took Abby home (aka Bambam). We had intended on adopting a female to reduce the chance of a male spraying but after nearly two hours we hadn't made a decision. I didn't want to leave without one so we decided to take Boyd, a beautiful, long-legged, sleek, gray male.

We had to wait for about 15 minutes in the office because there was another adoption being completed (happily, they were very busy that day). While standing there waiting, I occupied myself by petting a cat who was sleeping on one of the desks in the office. When our turn came, we discovered that Boyd was already spoken for and was at the shelter for a few more days finishing up some meds. I asked if the cat I had been petting was available and she was! The office folks were very excited that Bambam (now Abby) was going to get a "forever" home. Before we went to the shelter, I felt the right cat would pick us out and she did. We just needed to move out of the cattery and into the office for her to find us!

I loved reading your story! We need more kitty angels like you out there :angel:

I was getting too depressed without a kitty around. I've had a cat in the house for nearly all of my life, but I did not expect the emotional impact of becoming feline free.

I've not been without a cat for about 30 years. I say I won't replace this one, but what will be the emotional impact of being uncatted?

Khan - For about the first 2 weeks, I felt relieved not to have to worry about a cat when we were spending the night out of town or when we were planning a longer vacation. We spent the third week in Florida with friends and their 2 cats between Christmas and New Year's and I loved petting and brushing them. By the 4th week, it was geting very, very sad to come home from work to a house with no kitty. The depth of the sadness was surprising. I still miss the two cats who died in the last 6 months, but I am much happier now and the deep sadness is gone. I'm pretty happy, in fact, now that we have the new kitty!

My DH and I are good friends and we spend a lot of time together other than when I am at work. My sadness over the cat reminds me to relish the days I have with him because the touch of sadness I felt over kitties will be very minor compared to what I would feel if he were gone. It's good to be reminded about how good life is with a little temporary sadness.

This pic was taken in 1991. We still have the black and white (she's pushing 17), but the black cat passed away 2 years ago. We got our tabby just a few years after this was taken.
In 1991, The black and white could fit in the palm of my hand.

View attachment 3215

This cat is named Cute Fuzzy Bunny! Crazy coincidence? :D

Attachments

• ATT00784.jpg
    ATT00784.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 36
Ronin,

Cute fuzzy bunny is adorable! I love the remote control and beer. I'm guessing he must be a boy kitty?

Back
Top Bottom