Prime Day disappointment

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, I took the offer of 30 days free Prime membership, and am now experiencing my first Prime Day.

I'm in the market for a new PC, but there is only one labeled as a Prime Day sale, and it's not what I'd want, and the discount isn't that terrific. Lots of deals on laptops, but I don't especially want one.

Anybody else find Prime Day a bit of a letdown?

Maybe I'm just being a grumpy-drawers.

Prime day is an Amazon marketing scheme to get people to spend money they don't have for stuff they don't need. Just my two cents.

I am probably in the minority, but I never have liked Amazon. Their search function is bad, the fake reviews, the ads that follow you everywhere for anything you’ve searched and pricing is never the best.
My wife uses it for buying a few things, I don’t.

I don’t expect big deals on Prime Day(s).

Nevertheless last week I got an extra discount on something and it was attributed to Prime Day even though it was the week before.

Prime day is an Amazon marketing scheme to get people to spend money they don't have for stuff they don't need. Just my two cents.

I agree- in fact, I could say that about Prime itself. I know it's important for people who live in the hinterlands who don't have access to that many local stores, but I see my friend, who has limited funds and credit card debt, buying gadgets right and left. Many times they're sold in packs of 2 or 3 so he occasionally gives one to me. I wish he wouldn't. I buy from Amazon when I can't find something locally or on another site but to me, Prime makes it too easy to just use Amazon and make impulse purchases.

I have purchased stuff on Prime Day in past years for significant discounts. Aside from one Amazon Fire TV deal that someone posted about maybe a week ago, I'm really not seeing any discounts this year.

If people have spending problems, they will find a way to spend money on junk no matter what. Amazon and Prime Day may be enablers, but the problem has always existed. Walking through Costco is more dangerous to me, partly because it's an hour away so I'm not going to be able to think about it for a day or two and then buy it like I can on Amazon. And I'm probably more likely to see and buy other things in any brick and mortar store than add more things to my Amazon cart.

I make a wish list on Amazon for things I might buy, especially if the price is right. On Prime Day I look to see if any of those are on sale, and if they are now at an attractive price. I check camelcamelcamel to see the price history, and verify they really dropped the price, and use Fakespot, which uses an algorithm to judge if reviews are faked. I didn't find anything on my list this Prime Day, though I might update a couple of Fire sticks while they are on sale.

I'm one of those people in the hinterlands who find Amazon very helpful. In the last 10 years I've spent $1K-$5K+ there annually. I check prices elsewhere, factoring in the 5% back I get on Amazon vs a 2% cash back credit card. Amazon often comes out the best price for me.

I agree- in fact, I could say that about Prime itself. I know it's important for people who live in the hinterlands who don't have access to that many local stores, but I see my friend, who has limited funds and credit card debt, buying gadgets right and left. Many times they're sold in packs of 2 or 3 so he occasionally gives one to me. I wish he wouldn't. I buy from Amazon when I can't find something locally or on another site but to me, Prime makes it too easy to just use Amazon and make impulse purchases.

Disagree

I'm not looking for a gadget or electronic this year.

It recommended some Jewlery made out of brass - that's a no.

I was looking for some hemp seed oil, and put it in my cart. It decided to charge me tax (NY does not tax food) - so I will either find another brand, or look elsewhere - but no orders for me today.

If people have spending problems, they will find a way to spend money on junk no matter what. Amazon and Prime Day may be enablers, but the problem has always existed. Walking through Costco is more dangerous to me, partly because it's an hour away so I'm not going to be able to think about it for a day or two and then buy it like I can on Amazon. And I'm probably more likely to see and buy other things in any brick and mortar store than add more things to my Amazon cart.

I make a wish list on Amazon for things I might buy, especially if the price is right. On Prime Day I look to see if any of those are on sale, and if they are now at an attractive price. I check camelcamelcamel to see the price history, and verify they really dropped the price, and use Fakespot, which uses an algorithm to judge if reviews are faked. I didn't find anything on my list this Prime Day, though I might update a couple of Fire sticks while they are on sale.

I'm one of those people in the hinterlands who find Amazon very helpful. In the last 10 years I've spent $1K-$5K+ there annually. I check prices elsewhere, factoring in the 5% back I get on Amazon vs a 2% cash back credit card. Amazon often comes out the best price for me.

Hinterlands or not - Amazon makes sense, at least for me and my family.

Personally, Amazon/Prime gives me the ability to do things I would never do and save thousands of dollars a year. I've learned how to repair my car and small appliances, in addition to being able to purchase things at significant discount over local stores that we would purchase anyhow. I have access to variety and selection of makes/models/brands of most everything that is simply impossible to have by getting in the car and going around to stores locally. And they deliver it to me usually in 24 to 48 hours.

If I'm not buying from Amazon, then it's Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, or any other local brick and mortar retailer that has real time access to their inventory and ability to purchase online and pick up at the store. There is no need to waste my time walking up and down aisles browsing - that is what creates the impulse purchase. That is why I hate going in to the Harbor Freight location that opened in my neighborhood shopping plaza. I could always find some tools or other things I'd like to have because I could have a need in the future. I go online to purchase what I need when I need it. If I'm not physically in the store, I have no other reason to buy.

Prime Day is always a disappointment. They sent me something a couple of weeks ago that said I might be eligible for a 4k 43 inch TV for some low price, but it was by invitation only. Wasn't invited. Maybe next year...

I started using Amazon a lot because of Covid, but I don't think the pricing is great. I do like their cotton shirts when they are on sale. Quality is very good.

I have a couple of cheap TV's from Best Buy, so I didn't really need the fancy one anyway.

And, as if by magic, an Amazon Prime ad just showed up in my e-mail. Who would have thought it?

And, as if by magic, an Amazon Prime ad just showed up in my e-mail. Who would have thought it?

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked!

Prime Day is always a disappointment. They sent me something a couple of weeks ago that said I might be eligible for a 4k 43 inch TV for some low price, but it was by invitation only. Wasn't invited. Maybe next year...

I started using Amazon a lot because of Covid, but I don't think the pricing is great. I do like their cotton shirts when they are on sale. Quality is very good.

I have a couple of cheap TV's from Best Buy, so I didn't really need the fancy one anyway.
Did you click the request invite box to get it?

I stocked up on OTC drugs at around 30% discount and significantly lower than I have seen elsewhere. Now I am set for another six months or longer. Low expectations, bought only what I need, I am happy.

Marc

Like any sale you have to know your needs, the products and what is actually a good price. Even though I don’t devote time to hunting around, I have got some deals on Prime Day. Most of the stuff I don’t need or want. What else is new?

I did get a small mower/edger I've had my eye on for over a year. Instead of it's long-held $89 price, I got it for $60, so that's good enough to make it worthwhile for me.

They're rarely going to put on sale the one thing you're looking for, but there will be many things that you "didn't know you needed" that may hit your radar. One tool I use is Keepa. It's a price tracking extension for Chrome. I set a trigger price, and it will email me when the price drops that low. I got a notification just this morning. Another benefit is you can see what the price has historically been. The prices can swing wildly on Amazon - something that normally costs $80 may suddenly be $120...which might not look bad, if you didn't know it normally goes for $80!

So, I took the offer of 30 days free Prime membership, and am now experiencing my first Prime Day.

I'm in the market for a new PC, but there is only one labeled as a Prime Day sale, and it's not what I'd want, and the discount isn't that terrific. Lots of deals on laptops, but I don't especially want one.
Many electronics retailers jump on the Prime bandwagon. So you might find good deals elsewhere. Newegg is a great option for desktops and I suppose Walmart and BestBuy might have some too.

I think for Prime Day good to approach with a strategy.

Usually there are good deals on memory like SSDs, flashdrives, SD cards. Also, some flashdeals have stuff marked down. But depends on if you really need or want.

I just bought a bluray disc player. I already had it in my Amazon wishlist but saw it was discounted $20. On top of that, I chose no-rush shipping which gave me 7% cash back today.

Now I'm waiting to see if before Prime Day ends that this mini-multicooker I have in my wishlist gets marked down too. Fingers crossed :popcorn:.

Usually there are good deals on memory like SSDs, flashdrives, SD cards. Also, some flashdeals have stuff marked down. But depends on if you really need or want.

Not this year from my own cursory review. I had a few SSDs on my save for later list and none of the prices are any different from a week ago. Additionally, I've purchased a few micro-SD cards over the past few weeks, and likewise, prices are the same.

Actually, I just checked again and they have lowered the price on the Samsung 1TB SSD - now $40.38 and the Lexar 512GB is $17.99, both down a few dollars.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom