Prime Day disappointment

Market Timing Also Doesn't Work During Amazon Prime Day

I've been keeping an eye on the price of this small multicooker. Haven't bought yet as been hoping Amazon would lower the price during the Prime Day sales.

Amazon has the next higher up (but not the size or features I want) discounted at 30% off. So, here I've been hoping that Amazon would follow suit and mark down the small cooker I want before Prime Day ends. I've been eagerly tracking only to find out that today Amazon increased the price of the one I want. Not only that, but another cooker I was looking at got it's price cut a bit more also.

Maybe should have just pulled the trigger before Prime Day even started :mad:.

I did buy a new Kindle reader today. Mine was 6 years old and in fine shape, but the current model has a bigger screen and other worthwhile upgrades. Got the Prime Day sale price plus 20% off for trading my old one in ($28.00), plus $30.00 for my trade in. Of course free shipping. With sales tax added on It is costing me $36.00 and change for the new Kindle. I feel like It was a good deal. Did not see anything else of interest today.

Do you mind if I ask which model you had that netted you $30 trade in value? Mine is a paperwhite 3rd gen - just 5 years old and in perfect condition - they only offered me $5.

Bought these pruning shears. Good deal at 53% off:
https://a.co/d/aDdNgOR

There seem to be good deals on Samsung phones too.

Not from what I see. My 2.5 year old Samsung has a fading battery. Been checking Best Buy regularly but nothing good on the A series recently. Checked Amazon yesterday and the price was the same as the last "sale" price at Best Buy. Methinks there is some price manipulation going on.

Hinterlands or not - Amazon makes sense, at least for me and my family.

Personally, Amazon/Prime gives me the ability to do things I would never do and save thousands of dollars a year. I've learned how to repair my car and small appliances, in addition to being able to purchase things at significant discount over local stores that we would purchase anyhow. I have access to variety and selection of makes/models/brands of most everything that is simply impossible to have by getting in the car and going around to stores locally. And they deliver it to me usually in 24 to 48 hours.

If I'm not buying from Amazon, then it's Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, or any other local brick and mortar retailer that has real time access to their inventory and ability to purchase online and pick up at the store. There is no need to waste my time walking up and down aisles browsing - that is what creates the impulse purchase. That is why I hate going in to the Harbor Freight location that opened in my neighborhood shopping plaza. I could always find some tools or other things I'd like to have because I could have a need in the future. I go online to purchase what I need when I need it. If I'm not physically in the store, I have no other reason to buy.

+1
On line shopping saves me time, gas, and wear and tear on the car. Right now, Amazon is the best aggregator of products for on line sale.

Amazon's delivery times often sometimes outstanding too. Monday night at 8:30 pm, I ordered something that said 8 hour delivery. Sure enough, it was delivered at 4:26 AM Tuesday. Incredible.

We buy a lot of things online including thru Amazon (lately a LOT more since I've been stuck at home since June 1st waiting for my surgery) but I've never considered a Prime membership. It's unnecessary as we almost never pay shipping. I just wait to buy until we have a $25 order in the cart. We do have a Prime Video subscription.

My replacement mouse was indeed a prime only, so I took the free 30 day membership.
I got the Ryobi refurb weed eater, and a really neat little 9 ft grade rod for a friend.
He had used the one at work when he came to work while I was laid up with hand surgery and really liked it.

My settings say it is a Kindle Paperwhite 10th generation.

thank you! Appreciate the reply. I meant to say mine was 7th gen - so just 1 version below yours, but I bought it brand new directly from Amazon just 5 years ago. I was ready to trade in for a new one this week in if they offered me at least $15-20. but $5? It's in perfect condition and works great. (They're selling refurbished gen 7s for $40-50.) So decided to keep what I had - their loss :rolleyes:

thank you! Appreciate the reply. I meant to say mine was 7th gen - so just 1 version below yours, but I bought it brand new directly from Amazon just 5 years ago. I was ready to trade in for a new one this week in if they offered me at least $15-20. but $5? It's in perfect condition and works great. (They're selling refurbished gen 7s for $40-50.) So decided to keep what I had - their loss :rolleyes:

IIRC, when you trade in you get the credit they offer you plus an extra 20% off the new one. This is in addition to the sale price. You might want to read the fine print.

Also, last time I did that it got a little messed up and didn't apply the discount so I had to contact customer service. Seems you must do the trade in with a specific sequence or something. I never did figure out what happened, but CS fixed it. The prior time I traded in it went without a hitch.

Prime days are definitely the time to buy Amazon devices if you are in the market.

I was hoping for a good discount on an iPad Pro 11", which is the only electronics we're in search of. None at all. They've had good discounts on the iPad Air and the iPad Mini, which makes some sense because they're the oldest generation iPads currently sold as new. I have zero interest in an "Amazon qualified vendors renewed" iPad, which is still not discounted much either.

Last edited:

And I said mine was 6 years old, but after checking more carefully, it is 4 years old. I am terrible anymore about remembering how long ago a certain event was!

I was pleasantly surprised. I recently bought a new M2 MacBook Air and Apple Display and so there were a few items I needed that had big discounts.

I had been using cheap spinning hard disks for Time Machine backups, but I decided to get a USB 3.1 attached 4GB SSD instead. The Prime Day deal was 63% off. Nice and I can say goodby to spinning drives.

Not a killer deal, but also picked up a Anker USB 3 SD card reader for 15% off. Beats using a USB 3 to USB 2 dongle with my old, slow SD card reader.

I had also been eyeing Wyze's newer outdoor Cam v2. It's got hugely improved color night vision, so picking that up for 31% off was any easy choice. Also picked up a 256GB Micro SD card for that Cam for 55% off.

I almost picked up another pair of the arch support slippers I buy about every year from Amazon for 16% off, but my current pair still is passable and I didn't want to over do it. :angel:

And I noticed that you get a 6% kickback on the Amazon Prime Visa card instead of the usual 5%. I'll take it.

I just saw the price of something get bumped up right before my eyes as it was discounted on as deal day sale. A common marketing ploy.

I just saw the price of something get bumped up right before my eyes as it was discounted on as deal day sale. A common marketing ploy.

Some of the items are Lightning Deals,where they only discount a certain number or for a certain time. Could be you were looking at one of those.

Some of the items are Lightning Deals,where they only discount a certain number or for a certain time. Could be you were looking at one of those.

Sure was. One moment price was about $38. Then when lightning deal showd up it showed regular price about $45. I wonder was this done on purpose to make thing look like a better deal or just regular price fluctuations. The price pretty much hasn't changed in sometime before deal days.

IIRC, when you trade in you get the credit they offer you plus an extra 20% off the new one. This is in addition to the sale price. You might want to read the fine print.

Also, last time I did that it got a little messed up and didn't apply the discount so I had to contact customer service. Seems you must do the trade in with a specific sequence or something. I never did figure out what happened, but CS fixed it. The prior time I traded in it went without a hitch.

Prime days are definitely the time to buy Amazon devices if you are in the market.

Yup - thank you. I did know about the 20% off trade in deal: I always read the fine print - a few times over:D Just expected they'd offer more than 5 bucks for a fairly recent, working Kindle paperwhite with zero screen, battery or other issues. I'll take the gamble and see if I can get 1-2 more useful years from my current device instead.

They just sent me an apology email for running out of the TV deal. The e-mail offered two alternatives, neither of which was attractively priced. Really, Amazon?

I still have to replace the cell phone with the dying battery. Best Buy will have it on sale soon and they will help me do the set up and transfer. Same price as Amazon's Prime "deal."

Amazon is good for a lot, but "buyer beware" caution is needed.

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, but it's mostly stuff that either isn't available locally, like specialty R/C model airplane stuff, or something that I'd have to order anyway and the Amazon price is either competitive or lower. All other things being equal with some other online source many times I'll buy from Amazon just because on the rare occasion there's a problem returns are so easy.

I didn't see much except for a dining room set I was looking at elsewhere. Normal price over $500. Amazon had it for $367 and if you got the Amazon credit card, it was another $200 off. So I got a nice mid century design set for $167 with free shipping. Very happy with the deal, but other than that I didn't see anything interesting this year.

My neighbors clearly found a lot to like. Our packages are left in the mailroom - the locker system was not really adequate pre Covid and they gave up all attempt at organization since. Today there were piles of packages along both sides with amazon markings- more than I have seen even around Christmas

I was pleased to find my Prime Day purchases delivered and on the front porch today. They weren't supposed to arrive until tomorrow! That sure was quick. Anyway, I now have $112 worth of non-perishable snack foods (a.k.a. hurricane foods).

I was pleased to find my Prime Day purchases delivered and on the front porch today. They weren't supposed to arrive until tomorrow! That sure was quick. Anyway, I now have $112 worth of non-perishable snack foods (a.k.a. hurricane foods).

Love your new avatar. Have you used it before? Who is it (you at 23?)

Aloha

Love your new avatar. Have you used it before? Who is it (you at 23?)

Aloha

Thank you! Yes, that's me, in Hawaii, sitting in my uncle's convertible Jeepster back in the 1960's with my cousins. :) I think I have used it before, but not often.

Attachments

• AllynNevaBruceConnieCaroleTerry.jpg
    AllynNevaBruceConnieCaroleTerry.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom