Probably a good day to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I blew some leaves into a pile or two. Left them for the rain that's almost here. Filled up the tank and bought a few nifty 0.7mm mechanical pencils. Maybe watch the news later tonight.

Any opinions on different sectors?
It's not a sector, but for tax purposes, I have a substantial position in a state specific muni fund. IMNTX

I've owned it since mid 2015, & can't recall it ever going up more than 2 cents a day. Today it went up 3

I'd be buying if I had the excess cash. I usually have an extra $2k to dump into stocks at the end of the month, but I don't keep any excess cash on hand. I'm always 100% invested until the next pay check.

We still have cash on hand designated for Roth IRA contributions for the 2019 tax year, so I am thinking this might be a good week to complete them.

I'm glad I moved from 80% to 42% equities recently after hitting my target stash amount (and then some). I think there's plenty of room for this market to drop with this COVID-19 virus being the catalyst to get it started.

I'm glad I'm at zero equities. Sure, the market will likely bounce back at some point, but I don't really care, one way or another, to be honest. It's nice to be able to sleep soundly without any concerns about the market whatsoever. I'm done with that, I can live off what I have for a long time, and have no plans to jump back in.

Sold my Gilead last month for a break even after holding it for a long time of losing value, once again showing my talent at market timing and individual stock trading. All I need to do now for the trifecta is buy it again the day before they announce remdesivir doesn't work.

I moved $10k from settlement fund to stock fund as of 4 pm today.
Buy on the dips, checko...

Thinking similar things. KR, SFM, CLX, PG to start. T & VZ as people will still be texting and talking. VDE (energy) once things start to get better. Disclosure, I own KR, SFM, T & VDE...

Any opinions on different sectors? I expect that when/if this gets loose in the US lots of people will be staying home as much as possible, especially the elderly. My uninformed guesses:

Up: Healthcare, delivery services, supermarkets (maybe, need to eat), video on demand

Down: Insurance, transportation, theaters, restaurants, manufacturing, oil

I was out looking at vacation rental homes today and when I returned I saw the decrease. I had tried to see 5 others in the past week and all were sold sight unseen with an hour of hitting the market. Maybe this down will keep some buyers on the sidelines so I can pick up what I am looking for without the prices being so crazy. No new market purchases at the moment but I am building cash. Time will tell.

I made the great mistake of buying last Thursday... It was down $15K yesterday & I'm not really in the mood to check the numbers today. :(

Guess I'll hold off on the motorcycle that I was eyeing...

Yeah, I think this one might fall for a few more days. Gonna wait it out and pick up something if the DOWI gets close to 200 ma.

My muni’s, individual, open and closed end funds are all flying. Biggest one day rise I can remember.

Picked up VDE at 52 week low.. who knows it could go lower...

There might be a dead cat bounce tomorrow, but I don't think the panic is over. The equity markets started out generously valued and ignoring a lot of risk that IMO has yet to be priced in. I think the amount of supply chain disruption in process will prove to be quite disruptive to the profit picture. Add in further progression of the pandemic, a classified briefing of senators before the market opens tomorrow, and the start of more wide scale testing for the virus later this week (and they will get positive results in droves), and I don't see an obvious catalyst that gets the masses to buy.

XOM is at a 52 week low also. Haven't seen it in the $50's in a long time. yielding around 6% but I believe they are taking on debt to pay the dividend.

I am avoiding individual stock risk by buying the ETF where XOM is a big piece along with chevron, and others. Top 10 holdings make up about 70% of the fund.

Fossil fuels are here to stay in spite of all the hype abt renewable energy..etc..etc

VDE has 30 day SEC yield of 4.2% so I think this is a deep value sector.

^ ^ if that is case I will go down with the ship. I have no plans on doing anything but wait and see approach.

Last edited:
I am avoiding individual stock risk by buying the ETF where XOM is a big piece along with chevron, and others. Top 10 holdings make up about 70% of the fund.

Fossil fuels are here to stay in spite of all the hype abt renewable energy..etc..etc

VDE has 30 day SEC yield of 4.2% so I think this is a deep value sector.

I was working for a major oil company when crude dropped to $8/bbl. There could be a long way to go since the world is awash in crude oil and natural gas. Plus, demand will drop like a rock if the economy of the U.S.and China goes in the toilet.

Dont do that. Just negotiate a little harder. Wind Therapy is a gift not everyone is willing to experience.

I can't reward myself for making a stupid move.

The old bike will be fine until the market bounces back. I just needed a little motivation to replace the front tire & fork seals. The market just reminded me to appreciate what I'm fortunate enough to already have. ;)

I was working for a major oil company when crude dropped to $8/bbl. There could be a long way to go since the world is awash in crude oil and natural gas. Plus, demand will drop like a rock if the economy of the U.S.and China goes in the toilet.

Quite possible. If the two largest economies go into the toilet, VDE would be last of my worries...:nonono:

Frankly, at this point I am more concerned with what is going on at the supermarket than the stock market. There are a lot of things made or the raw materials made in countries that we all take for granted. Smart phones and cars are obvious because of their complexity, but it goes a lot further than that. 100% of the shoes I own were made in China. 80% of the world's supply of ibuprofen is made in China and India. Where are tampons made? Procter and Gamble just said that supply chains for 17,000 (!) products are being disrupted.

Yes. As I mentioned earlier, one simply goes to Walmart and looks for anything without a "Made in China" mark to know how much we depend on them.

On the other hand, China wants its people getting back to work too. They are not a bunch of ERs like us. I have been trying to find some news to get a sense of how their factories are reopening, but have not seen any statistics.

Sold a bucket of equities in January to finance my annual spring cattle buy - cattle on the hoof, not futures. I don't buy (cattle) until the grass comes on in late April or early May.

My (live)stock market is unlike your stock market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom