Problem with HR Block

Letj

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I use HR Block every year to prepare my taxes. This year after I had already prepared and saved my tax when I got this error: The tax return you have selected cannot be loaded due to the following error: Creating a copy of form TCImuttableIdentifier: immutableID(44) would exceed the maximum copy limit of 2. You should update the program and try again after the update completed. You may update at anytime by selecting Update The Program from the tolls menu.

I called HR Block and they weren’t able to help me. I am desperate because my taxes are over 100 pages long and I have done them twice but the second time I got the same error after doing them. I can’t do them again because it just too long. Has anybody encountered this error this year or in the past? The program is updated and there are no more updates available right now.

Last edited:
Never had it.

I do normally save my tax return as I'm doing it with version numbers, in case I have to go back to an earlier version. OP's issue will now convince me to continue this practice.

My only suggestion would be to make a copy of the return's file (just in case) and completely uninstall, then reinstall the program and let it update again. Then replace the return's file if needed and see if it will load.

I was hoping the file was stored as XML, then a person could edit the file to remove the "extra" copies of the offending form.
Unfortunately that is not the case.

Does OP have any idea which form has multiple copies?
I've seen with foreign account listing, that it can take a lot of forms, and one has to create them manually as it's done directly on the form view.

A pdf print of the taxes, even from last year (assuming not a huge difference) might point to the offending form issue, which could help the HR Block folks chase it down.

I reinstalled the original program I bought and was able to open a saved tax return I have with the Federal only before I did any updates. However, as soon as I ran the update the error came back and I can’t open any do the files. Someone the updates are creating the problem.

Then perhaps the update this week on 2/25 will fix the issue - hopefully.

This is an internal bug in the software. "Immutable identifier" is a software developer term, not a tax term.

The program is only allowing you to have 2 copies of a form and you have more than that in your return. There are a lot of forms where the max really is 2, one copy for the taxpayer and one for the spouse; but there are a few forms, such as 8949, where you can have many copies. It sounds like there's a bug in a recent update that has erroneously set a max of 2 on one of the unlimited forms.

There isn't anything you can do to fix this. If you've reported it to HRB, then they have to fix it and release a new update. You don't actually have to file your taxes until April 18th, so you don't have to get desperate quite yet. If they don't fix it by April 1, you have time to ask for your money back and buy a different tax program.

Cathy. This is so helpful. I always use the software and have the same number of forms (many schedule E attachments too). The only difference this year is 1031 exchanges I did. The problem is I am going out of the country for 6 weeks and need to file soon.

Unless Block has acknowledged the error (they have already recreated it), the best thing you can do is document how it breaks, very precisely, and give them the file that throws the error. If you can recreate the error with a John Doe (no personal data) return, I'd do that, and deliver that to Block. The smallest possible return that creates the error would be best, if you know what form that's causing the error.

Cathy. This is so helpful. I always use the software and have the same number of forms (many schedule E attachments too). The only difference this year is 1031 exchanges I did. The problem is I am going out of the country for 6 weeks and need to file soon.

It might be related to the Schedule Es then. If those are rental properties, you probably have a lot of depreciation you're tracking, so switching to another program would be difficult.

If you have an earlier version of the program that tells you how much you owe, you can pay that with IRS Direct Pay or EFTPS and select the option for an extension. That will give you until Oct 15 (or the next business day if that's a weekend) to file your actual return.

If you expect a refund, you could just wait until you get back or file form 4868 if you want to be official about asking for the extension. You can e-file that form using the Free Fillable Forms, no need to go through HRB.

It might be related to the Schedule Es then. If those are rental properties, you probably have a lot of depreciation you're tracking, so switching to another program would be difficult.

If you have an earlier version of the program that tells you how much you owe, you can pay that with IRS Direct Pay or EFTPS and select the option for an extension. That will give you until Oct 15 (or the next business day if that's a weekend) to file your actual return.

If you expect a refund, you could just wait until you get back or file form 4868 if you want to be official about asking for the extension. You can e-file that form using the Free Fillable Forms, no need to go through HRB.

Thanks Cathy. You got it exactly. There are almost 50 properties so I am loathe to use another program. This is just causing a lot of angst. I also paid significant estimated tax because of some anticipated sales and I overpaid by a lot and expecting a huge return so I need this to work. I can’t get anywhere with HR Block on the phone so I am stuck on how to proceed. I’ve spent a total of 6.5 hours trying to resolve, mostly waiting on the line.

Consider going on Twitter with it. These companies have people who make sure they tamp down on negative "press".

Unless Block has acknowledged the error (they have already recreated it), the best thing you can do is document how it breaks, very precisely, and give them the file that throws the error. If you can recreate the error with a John Doe (no personal data) return, I'd do that, and deliver that to Block. The smallest possible return that creates the error would be best, if you know what form that's causing the error.

Unfortunately I don’t know what form is causing the error. I use this program every year and the taxes this year is no more complicated except I had some property sales and one 1031 exchange. I cannot recreate the error without re entering a boat load of info since I get open any of the two files I already done. I am really stuck without someone from HR Block getting back to me that knows what they’re doing. Their so called technical support just seems like they’re random people they just pulled off the streets and gave them a script. Cathy (poster on this thread) seemed to have nailed the issue but not one of 4 different people I spoke to at HR Block could even offer a theory.

One possibility would be to buy turbo tax software, and import the "bad" file (the final one) from HRB into it.
If it works, tell HRB you want a refund.
If it fails, tell Turbo tax it can't import, so want a refund.

You will risk the cost of the new software, but considering the time crunch it may be worth it.

I think without a lot of push, the HRB folks have the software bug in a list, along with lots of other bugs. Will need to recreate it, which might not work for them, and could take a lot longer than OP needs.

Good suggestion. I thought of that and then googled whether I can import a 2021 tax file to Turbo Tax and it didn’t seem like I can but will definitely try today.

Good suggestion. I thought of that and then googled whether I can import a 2021 tax file to Turbo Tax and it didn’t seem like I can but will definitely try today.

Here's the import screen from TTax 2021. If you have a PDF of your 2020 return, you can import that and use it as the basis for your 2021 return. TTax can't import the data you've already entered into your 2021 HRB program. Also, it doesn't import all the behind-the-scenes calcs that aren't part of your actual return, so it will have to ask you when you put each of the rental properties in service and how much depreciation you've already taken on them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-24 071650.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-24 071650.png
    23 KB · Views: 19
Unfortunately not. On the phone with HR Block now holding. I’ve spent 7 hours on the phone with them. I just can’t change software. It’s too much work and I am heading out of country soon. I am trying to see if I can import it into a different version.

You could also try loading it cross-platform. If you have a PC try loading on a Mac or the other way around.

You could also try loading it cross-platform. If you have a PC try loading on a Mac or the other way around.
That would probably cost another license fee, but is a great idea; I doubt they compile the same source code for both platforms, but probably use the same format to save the file.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I started all over with TurboTax. It’s very very time consuming with the number of properties involved but I discovered I like their software better.

We have used Turbo Tax for decades and we are very happy with it. Caught many small new issues and saved us a bunch.

In case anyone is curious as to the outcome. I finally finished my taxes in TurboTax and saved $3,000 more on my taxes than HRBlock. I was very much surprised to find it a much superior product to work with and it’s guidance and explanations are much better than HRBlock, at least for me and my needs. It doesn’t handle like-kind exchanges and sale of rental properties very well through the interview but I was able to navigate easily to the forms and fill out the information without too much trouble. I also believed I may have stumbled on why I couldn’t access my return in HRBlock. TurboTax prompted me to not file my return because form 8824 (like-kind exchanges) is not finalized and therefore I can’t file at least until it’s finalized (likely on 3/31). I believe HRBlock wasn’t programmed to prompt users of this form and just basically locked me out of the return. I was hoping to file early because I overpaid estimated taxes by a whopping amount. Thanks all again for trying to help me figure this out.

Back
Top Bottom