Product shortages in your area ?

About late delivery of furniture, if the place you order from closes down and goes out of business, what recourse do you have?

About late delivery of furniture, if the place you order from closes down and goes out of business, what recourse do you have?

Then you get in line with all the other creditors in bankruptcy court.

That's what I thought. For a few $K, most people would just write it off, and go on with their life.

That's what I thought. For a few $K, most people would just write it off, and go on with their life.

A good credit card will support you if this happened. Personally no I would not just write it off, I would contest with the bank.

That actually happened to me. It was a local furniture store, and we ordered a bedroom set - nothing custom. Before delivery they went bust. They auctioned all the furniture in the showroom and other assets. We bought a piece or two there, but had to rebuy our bedroom set somewhere else. In the end we got something like 1/2 of our deposit back IIRC, which deposit was half of the price.

Not sure how a credit card can help, the court controls and decides everything, including even clawing back payments made by the store prior to bankruptcy.

Your question did remind me of an event that did happen when I was working a midnight shift one night. About 2:00 AM another police officer noticed a rented truck parked behind a bridal shop and three people loading up the truck with the contents of the bridal shop. Turned out that one of the three was the shop owner and the other two were relatives assisting him. Okay, no crime so far, but read on.

Further investigation rapidly followed which involved waking up more than a couple of grumpy people in the County business records and regulatory systems, and it turned out that said shop owner was in the process of closing up shop, while neglecting to inform any of the customers who had put down hefty deposits on, or completely paid for, wedding dresses and associated paraphernalia, or the owner of the storefront he was renting from.

The three spent the next several days as guests of the taxpayers in the County jail until they were able to arrange posting an unusually high bond, payable only in cash, set by a female magistrate.

Sometimes, karma's a bitch, and she is pissed.:LOL:

Paper products at Costco. No toilet paper, limited Kleenex, and paper towels disappearing.

I envision there are some who can no longer park their cars in garages filled to the ceiling with toilet paper.

Paper products at Costco. No toilet paper, limited Kleenex, and paper towels disappearing.

I envision there are some who can no longer park their cars in garages filled to the ceiling with toilet paper.

In my defense, I've always hoarded paper products!

The better half said, she hasn't noticed anything that is hard to get. Beef has been high price and not sure why. Here and all over the mountain west and high plains states there has been record cattle sales. The local livestock sale rings here been having number each week for a long time now. Ranchers can't keep them no grass or hay and feed is to expensive to keep them.

I hope by "hard drive" the OP meant "SSD" instead. :)

Not much use anymore for rotational hard drives beyond DVRs or surveillance systems.

As for TP I now order a bamboo TP since it seems more logical to get that from a fast-growing grass versus a slow-growing tree.

Plus I can pull a bunch off the roll and wipe the (unused) squares vigorously on my next mail-in ballot to mess with all the conspiracy theorists.

Not sure what ssd is? But shop will be putting in a new hard drive and no data was lost since it is a huge tower pc and it has a 1terbyte memory backup.as soon as new hard drive comes in the shop will clone it and the pc will be like new. Can't wait as we have a old Sony laptop but it is pretty slow and still runs window 7. Probably at least 10 years old.sony no longer makes laptops.

Last edited:

We have 1 years supply of TP. I was thinking of working it down to a 6 month supply, but the shortages now mean I'll pick up an extra pack when possible.

Certainly don't want to run out :eek:

I've been thinking I should buy a new fridge for my rental, the old one is 20+ yrs old. Better to buy one and get it in 1->2 months than be forced to buy a super expensive one as that is what's left in the stores. ?

Did you have to buy a more expensive one than originally thought ?

Well, I hadn’t been planning on replacing it as it was only 5-6 years old. It was an LG French Door model, top of their line when we bought it. It had a major failure after one year and another significant repair last year, so when it broke again, we figured it was time. The new one is a Whirlpool side by side, considerably less expensive than the LG but hopefully more reliable. I think the delivered cost with tax and haul away of the old one was around $2,100. I did a quick Google search at the time and didn’t see that model for any less.

I was shocked to hear a week or so ago that both the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles, the two busiest in the US do not operate 24/7. What is going on right now is inexcusable.

I am not usually an advocate for government regulation but these ports effectively operate as monopolies and should be regulated and held accountable for the backlogs. We need a good 60 Minutes investigation of who is profiting from this situation. I heard this week that both ports are foreign-owned. But my research suggests otherwise so I am no sure what to think.

I just looked at container volume through Port of LA. It is only incrementally higher recently and actually down about third from last fiscal year. If it is not port capacity maybe it is truck drivers. We have tens of thousands of qualified truck drivers in the active duty military and national guard. I don't want to turn this political but why are we not using them? The stevadore's union says they have plenty of workers ready to step up.

I get that we build a lean, efficient system and it is now stressed. But why are we not looking at creative ways to temporarily increase resiliancy and flexibility?

Good questions. I’ve heard that a big part of the problem is lack of trucks and drivers to move goods.

Now that "Inflation!" is being trumpeted, many are probably buying extra goods, out of fear that the price is going up.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Not sure what ssd is? But shop will be putting in a new hard drive and no data was lost since it is a huge tower pc and it has a 1terbyte memory backup.as soon as new hard drive comes in the shop will clone it and the pc will be like new. Can't wait as we have a old Sony laptop but it is pretty slow and still runs window 7. Probably at least 10 years old.sony no longer makes laptops.
SSD is Solid State Drive. Instead of a mechanical hard drive spinning round and round and waiting for the head to move to the right track and the disk to come round to read or write data it's a solid state device that goes whommmp, chommmp(technical terms) and eats, spits up your data super fast.

Last edited:
Now that "Inflation!" is being trumpeted, many are probably buying extra goods, out of fear that the price is going up.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I don't think they're stupid. They're just folks reacting logically to what they're being told. I'm not saying they're right. Only time will reveal that but you want them to ignore the inputs? Everybody play a hunch/counter-hunch? And maybe they are being manipulated. Say "inflation". Elbow people into "up-purchasing" which causes " a spike in demand" which will then be pointed to as the reason prices are going up (which is not exactly "inflation" but can be conflated in the minds of busy people with proper messaging.)

OK, as long as it works after repair I don't care what type of drive it is. Repair quote is $130.00 so maybe it is a solid stat drive . I the Sony t has been a fine laptop. Only repair ever done on it was to replace a memory about 5 years ago and replace the power supply because it was not delivering enough amperage to start the laptop.

OK, as long as it works after repair I don't care what type of drive it is. Repair quote is $130.00 so maybe it is a solid stat drive . I the Sony t has been a fine laptop. Only repair ever done on it was to replace a memory about 5 years ago and replace the power supply because it was not delivering enough amperage to start the laptop.

A SSD boots up much faster compared to the traditional hard drive.

I've been thinking I should buy a new fridge for my rental, the old one is 20+ yrs old. Better to buy one and get it in 1->2 months than be forced to buy a super expensive one as that is what's left in the stores. ?

Did you have to buy a more expensive one than originally thought ?

In our garage sits a 26+ year old frig that has never been repaired.

In our kitchen sits a 4 year old frig that replaced an eight year old frig that died. Eight years is about what you can expect for new appliances today (per repair guy), the older frig may well outlast anything new you buy.

But please don't get mad at me if it dies in three months:)

Back
Top Bottom