Product shortages in your area ?

At least one grocery store around here (Martins) has spent the money for locking carts and an "electric fence". If a cart is removed from the property boundaries the wheels lock up.

I hate to think of what those cost.

Where I grew up (a not-so-nice neighborhood), you could not take the cart out to the parking lot. Between the store and the parking lot, there was a line of poles spaced just less than the width of a shopping cart. Basically, you could take the cart to the sidewalk outside the store, but no farther.

Today while shopping in Aldi, I bought 2 cans of pumpkin, simply because of all this talk of pumpkin and shortages.
Figured I might as well get some before it's all gone :LOL:

You guys are doing it all wrong...

https://pbfit.com/product/pbfit-original/

PBfit-30_Product_Front_1800x1800.png

I was curious, I know brewers sometimes use something like this to add a peanut butter flavor to beer (like a chocolate-PB stout), as you can get the flavor without the fat (which might cause a nice oil slick in your beer - yuck!).

I was thinking, can I buy this in bulk, and just add peanut oil as needed to make a peanut butter? But the ingredient list makes this a no-go for me:

Peanut Flour, Coconut Palm Sugar, Salt

I just don't care for sugar in my PB (not any specific health issue, I just don't like the taste. I like dry red wines, and 'dry' PB :) ). Let's see, 2g out of 16g is ~ 12.5% sugar. I'll pass. But it's interesting.

-ERD50

I just don't care for sugar in my PB (not any specific health issue, I just don't like the taste. I like dry red wines, and 'dry' PB :) ). Let's see, 2g out of 16g is ~ 12.5% sugar. I'll pass. But it's interesting.

-ERD50

2 Tbsp of peanut butter powder nets you 70 calories. Smucker's all-natural, nothing but peanuts and salt, nets you 190 calories for the same 2 Tbsp. There isn't *that* much sugar in the powder and I actually like the taste. It does not taste too sweet to me. Plus I typically make a PB&J sandwich that comes in at around 135 calories total. It's the only way I can justify this particular vice.

I remember, back in the 70's and super high inflation, we would hoard an item if it miraculously went on sale. Now, if there's an apparent shortage and I can find the product, I will do it again. Besides my discontinued TastyKake Chocolate Bells, now Entenmann's Fudge Mini's can't be found. And coup de grace: Melitta European Roast coffee. Found the last can after my 3rd supermarket hunt.

I’ve been playing a game of chicken with the supermarket, waiting for the frozen turkeys to go on sale (while risking not being able to find one if I wait too long). The frozen turkeys showed up in the featured freezer a few weeks ago at $1.69/lb. The past few years Wegmans has sold them for $0.29/lb for the holiday season.

I really didn’t want to pay $1.69/lb (which is silly since that is still a relatively low price for protein). This morning when I went shopping the price had dropped to $0.59/lb, so I dug around in the bin and found an 18-pounder for our Thanksgiving dinner. The news has been telling us there may be a shortage of the smaller birds and it is playing out at “my” Wegmans. There were about half a dozen 12 to 13 pound birds and dozens over 20 lbs. I was happy to find the 18 lb bird since twenty pounds is about the largest that fits in the roaster I like to use.

I also bought family packs of BSCB and ground beef, which were fully stocked. Even though I only cook for two most of the time I’m in the habit of stocking the freezer for convenience sake.

I saw that a few items were out of stock, but in most cases there was a different brand or size available.

…no walnuts.

An article on NPR’s Marketplace the other day talked about how walnut growers are having trouble exporting overseas, which is normally a significant portion of their business. Therefore, there should be a surplus of nuts domestically. Of course, then there’s the supply chain issues shipping and stocking them, so I dunno; we’ll see. I did grab some at Aldi when I saw them at a good price yesterday.

We switched to Costco Kirkland brand peanuts only PB. No chemicals, no preservatives, etc. Lots and lots of it at our Costcos.

Years ago, when we traveled through the UK and Europe in an old camper van PB became a delicacy that could only be found at certain stores.

It is a staple in our house...for breakfast and for Thai recipes!

Two weeks ago Aldi was out of frozen strawberry, chunky peanut butter, and frozen chicken tendies.
Got me nervous enough to restock my dried bean supply.
Today I noticed those 3 items were back in stock.

Two weeks ago Aldi was out of frozen strawberry, chunky peanut butter, and frozen chicken tendies.
Got me nervous enough to restock my dried bean supply.
Today I noticed those 3 items were back in stock.

But on the upside, now you have beans.

We switched to Costco Kirkland brand peanuts only PB. No chemicals, no preservatives, etc. Lots and lots of it at our Costcos.

We buy the Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter or the Organic Smucker's Peanut Butter. Only ingredient is peanuts.

We do not buy the "no stir" peanut butters.
Those usually have a couple of undesirable ingredients like palm oil.

I walked into my local Kroger affiliate in my area and I noticed that the paper aisle has about double the product it had two weeks ago. It's still not filled to the brim, but unless a pack of hoarders hits the store, there should be enough towels, napkins, TP, tissues for the shoppers.

Needed to cap off six irrigation bubblers, so stopped by Lowes. 1/2" threaded PVC caps - not available and the staff indicated they hadn't been available for some time.

Walmart brand light yogurt, all flavors except peach not there. Shelves were bare....and I love the stuff! Other brands were out too. Maybe there was a run on yogurt this weekend?

Our local Walmart runs out of yogurt constantly - even plain Greek yogurt, which I buy so we can put our own flavorings in it, keeping sugar at bay.

This has been going on for a while, so it's not just the current supply chain. Yogurt is extremely popular.

Walmart brand light yogurt, all flavors except peach not there. Shelves were bare....and I love the stuff! Other brands were out too. Maybe there was a run on yogurt this weekend?

Our lawn-irrigation tech told us last year that there was a big shortage of irrigation sprinklers and all the associated little parts - he was even having trouble meeting his customers' needs. This, he blamed on a trucking shortage caused by COVID.

I don't imagine things have gotten much better.

Needed to cap off six irrigation bubblers, so stopped by Lowes. 1/2" threaded PVC caps - not available and the staff indicated they hadn't been available for some time.

Eggs, cheese, and chicken were in short supply at the Jewel yesterday. And the woodworking store said that they are running low on cabinet grade plywood and they don’t know when they will get more.

I know this thread is primarily discussing the availability of retail goods.

In my personal life, except for pheasant hunting shotshells, everything seems in adequate supply.

However, my work life couldn’t be more affected by supply chain issues. My current project is struggling terribly to source the industrial components to expand our production facility. Electrical component lead times are crazy.

The supply chain issues are real. In most cases we have used up the alternative “close enough” choices. Now we wait and suffer delays.

SwaneeSR

I mean, some shortages are due to legitimate reasons like the supply chain being broken and all that, but some shortages are temporary like some things are on sale, and they're sold out until they get another shipment, or they get restocked that night.

Ventured into the closest Costco this morning. Everything in stock (albeit some prices definitely higher). No discernible shortages, and no "out of" signs in the front. PT and PT were limit 1, but many pallets and stacked high. No screaming hordes panicking and knocking over others in quest for groceries. It was more than calm. All of our favorite [-]vices[/-] items were in good supply :).

shrinkflation or skimpflation

Went to grill some costco/kirkland pre-made frozen hamburger patties last night. Major grease fire. Looked at the bag and they have changed the fat ratio from the normal lean to 75/25 in the small print.

I think Shrinkflation/Skimpflation deserves its own thread, as it is a special form of cheating the customer.
Such a nasty thing, the way companies try to hide it with small print, redesigned packages, etc.

Looked at the bag and they have changed the fat ratio from the normal lean to 75/25 in the small print.

I think Shrinkflation/Skimpflation deserves its own thread, as it is a special form of cheating the customer.
Such a nasty thing, the way companies try to hide it with small print, redesigned packages, etc.

I'll bring a 1.5 qt. half-gallon of ice cream to the meeting. :eek: :D

Back
Top Bottom