Pull the Plug at 47?

What questions should I be asking myself?  After taking some time off (perhaps a year), I plan to return to some form of work albeit with a more flexible schedule.  

I suspect this forum gets zillions of vague inquiries like this, but I figured I would go to the experts.  

The question to ask is how badly do I want out of my job.

Your current income calculates about 115k per year and with only 100k in savings your probably accustomed to spending money without too much thought.

Can you really cut back and make the 45k work?

Also if you plan on returning to work will you be able to make a comperable salary minus the 45k pension.

I would try and work out a leave of absense for a year if possible. This would give you time off and secure a good salary.

Your current income calculates about 115k per year and with only 100k in savings your probably accustomed to spending money without too much thought.

You are absolutely correct GTM!

I have few inherent abilities, but was blessed with natural talent to piss away whatever money I do have.

Anyhow, the decision was made--I'm bailing--and I am relieved and excited. I feel pretty confident that I can ratchet down my lifestyle while I sort through some other decisions. If worst comes to worst, I'm fairly well positioned to work for one of our mega-corp contractors at the same salary or more. With a self-imposed simpler lifestyle, I could just bank all or most of the mega-corp salary for a few years until I "really" retire.

In the meantime I just may tramp around Southeast Asia for a few months or years. Sooner or later a coconut will clock me on my head, spill my Tiger beer, and give me that Eureka moment I've been looking for.

Tozz,

I just found this thread. Read it all. Dont know how I missed it. Regardless, first congrats on your decision, second Thanks! for telling us all about it. Thats the fuel that keeps this magic bus rolling. Many here have retirement thrust upon them due to layoff, health, financial and other reasons. They are jittery about the future but the conclusion is foregone. You OTOH were faced with a difficult lifechanging decision. And the majority here would agree you certainly made the right choice. I for one would enjoy reading your future posts.

Until it spins out of control, this is one thread that should be permanently and prominately placed for all newbies to read.

Too much the magic bus!

Hey BUM,

Well, with the decision behind me, I find that I don’t have too much more to say. This forum has been invaluable.  An anonymous medium allows you bounce options off others, spell out finances, and gain advice, in a way that is awkward among even the most trusted real-life friends and confidantes.

The next step of course is “what next?”  If past careers and relationships are any indication, I will just bumble along and happen into the next chapter.  I have pretty much decided to patch, paint and then sell the monstrosity.  Then, I picture myself somewhere in Thailand.  Maybe a beach.  Maybe the mountains. Lost somewhere in that place where, after a couple of beers, you are nineteen once more, with the gift that makes women swoon and men think twice. 

tozz   

Back
Top Bottom