Question about credit scores

Your credit score is based on your credit availability to debt ratio.

...among other things. Fair Isaac and Co (FICO) is the only one who really knows the algorithm, and it's quite complicated. But here's a decent article to look at that talks about the main considerations:

Learn about Credit Scores at Quicken Loans

2Cor521

Every time I think of FICO scoring, I get this image of a guy that just cut my lawn trying to sell the grass clippings back to me. I recall just about 7 yrs ago, my mortgage officer told me they could not reveal credit scores to customers (as he whispered our scores to us). The FICO people believed that if consumer behaviour was influenced by people knowing thier credit scores, the validity of the algorithms would be compromised. I believe this is correct, therefore credit scoring is a sham in my opinion.........just consider they are making judgements about your ability to pay without knowing ANYTHING about your assets, only your debts and payment history. In recent years, not only do they reveal the scores, they charge for the priviledge. That said, I do pay for credit monitoring service ($90/yr) that includes a free "FAKO" score, but its mainly to ensure no accounts are opened without my knowledge. Some of the rationale they use for why your score is x or y is preposterous. Here's a quote from a recent summary: "Credit reports with approximately 30 years of history are consided optimal." My oldest account is 28.4 yrs old, but my average account is only 7.25 yrs old.

Last edited:
Every time I think of FICO scoring, I get this image of a guy that just cut my lawn trying to sell the grass clippings back to me. .........

I love this analogy. I've always felt the same about medical records - every $10 / hr. administrator can see them but not you.

It was opened almost 2 years ago. If done as stated above, I wonder why it has not been used?

Perhaps you had another credit card with a firm/bank that closed or sold its accounts to CitiBank? At least that's what happened in my case several years ago. I opened a store credit card just to benefit from a special 25% off offer as I was buying several major appliances; the offer included no interest for a year. After buying and paying off the appliances, I didn't use the credit card again. About a year and a half later, I suddenly got a credit card from CitiBank that I had not requested. I called to complain and learned that my "inactive" account from the big box store had been sold to Citi and they elected to send me a new Citi card, hoping that I'd resume using it. I just cut it up...but it did increase my credit score because they offered a pretty high credit limit.

Don't know why you didn't get the card though. Maybe you threw it away without opening it, thinking it was junk mail??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom