Question about depositing check at bank drive-through

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
(This has got to be the stupidest question ever asked on the ER Forum.)

The IRS sent me a check for a little money I apparently overpaid. Fine with me! So, I signed it, filled out a deposit slip, and took it to my bank drive-through to deposit.

After sending both the check and deposit slip to the teller, through the capsule that is usually used at drive-through banks, the teller told me I had to send her my driver's license before she could deposit it. I meekly complied but I don't get it.

What on earth? I admit that I don't often deposit checks in person like this, but do they usually require ID for deposits now? I am pretty sure that half a century ago this was not required, because I used to deposit my ex's paychecks for him when he was at sea.

What's the rationale behind this? I can't imagine how putting money into someone's bank account surreptitiously could be considered to be either evil or unlawful. Taking money out, sure, but depositing money?

(sigh) Or maybe my understanding of these things is just severely outdated. :wiseone:

I dunno... if your name was on both the check and the account that it was being deposited into I don't see why ID is needed.

Just yesterday I deposited a check that came in the mail for my son who is off on vacation. I just handed the teller the unendorsed check and told her that I wanted it deposited to my son's account, whose name was on the check... and she just did it. While I am a joint owner she had no way of knowing that.

For that matter, if any stranger wants to deposit a check to my account that is fine with me.

In my experience this should not have happened at your own bank. Our bank drive up clearly states all non account holders cashing checks must provide government issued ID. Since you were putting it in your own account it seems excessive....

Definitely not a bad question. :greetings10:

I’m not aware of any new regulation regarding bank deposits. If the name on the check matches the name on the account there is no need for the id, especially for a small amount. If they have any doubt they can just wait for the check to clear before releasing the funds.

I think it’s the bank or teller being excessive careful, or just excessive.

I dunno... if your name was on both the check and the account that it was being deposited into I don't see why ID is needed.
It was! And thanks, now I don't feel like I'm 2340987 years old any more.

Just yesterday I deposited a check that came in the mail for my son who is off on vacation. I just handed the teller the unendorsed check and told her that I wanted it deposited to my son's account, whose name was on the check... and she just did it. While I am a joint owner she had no way of knowing that.

For that matter, if any stranger wants to deposit a check to my account that is fine with me.
That's what I was thinking, too. Maybe it was her first day on the job.

In my experience this should not have happened at your own bank. Our bank drive up clearly states all non account holders cashing checks must provide government issued ID. Since you were putting it in your own account it seems excessive....

Yes, it's my own bank and the deposit slip had my name and account number printed on it (since it was one of the ones that you get with checks when you order them). Pretty weird, I agree. And thanks.... I don't feel quite as mentally deficient now that I see that you agree with me.

It was! And thanks, now I don't feel like I'm 2340987 years old any more.

That's what I was thinking, too. Maybe it was her first day on the job.

Agree; i.e., on the conjecture that it was teller's first day.

Definitely not a bad question. :greetings10:
Oh yeah? OK then!!! (standing up proudly and feeling less stupid)

I’m not aware of any new regulation regarding bank deposits. If the name on the check matches the name on the account there is no need for the id, especially for a small amount.
Yep, it did, even my middle initial was the same. The amount was between $90 and $95 which to me is not stupendously large in these inflationary times.

If they have any doubt they can just wait for the check to clear before releasing the funds.

I think it’s the bank or teller being excessive careful, or just excessive.

Maybe so. At first I was pretty nervous sending my driver's license through the capsule to her, since I couldn't see her well. I wondered if she was Xeroxing it to steal my personal info off the DL. But, she returned it promptly so probably not.

Agree; i.e., on the conjecture that it was teller's first day.

Oh good. I guess that's as good an explanation as any. Whew! Thanks, everyone. I was kind of worried about identity theft, but hopefully not. Also, I was worried that the world had gone so crazy with fear about terrorists and scams, that while I was not watching, it had become unthinkable to deposit money in my own account without showing ID. Guess I can kick back and relax.

Maybe it's an added check to make sure the teller deposits it in the correct account? That's all I've got.

The new teller theory is probably good. If you had asked for money back on the check, they should ask for ID, otherwise you could deposit a bogus check in someone else's account and get some cash back and by the time they figure out the check was bad you are long gone. So maybe to simplify it, they train new tellers to just always ask for an ID, and once they have some time in the job they tell them when it's not needed.

Maybe it's an added check to make sure the teller deposits it in the correct account? That's all I've got.

The new teller theory is probably good. If you had asked for money back on the check, they should ask for ID, otherwise you could deposit a bogus check in someone else's account and get some cash back and by the time they figure out the check was bad you are long gone. So maybe to simplify it, they train new tellers to just always ask for an ID, and once they have some time in the job they tell them when it's not needed.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't ask for any money back on the check.

I agree it was over-caution but banks are silly these days. I'm Treasurer of our Garden Club. When I was added to the account they needed all kinds of crap including my driver's license and SS#. Then they called because they couldn't run a credit check because I'd frozen my credit. I asked why they needed it and they said it was to verify that I was who I said I was. (The DL isn't enough?) The account has the EIN of the Club to identify it, not my SSN. I discovered after repeatedly being prompted to input the last 4 digits of my SSN while trying to get on-line access, which no Treasurer had ever done before, and getting error messages.

And now every time I make a deposit I see them bring up the screen with the image of my driver's license. It creeps me out. They should not care who's making a deposit as long as they're not taking out cash.

Timely thread...I just deposited 2 diff checks on 2 diff days last month into my own account thru drive through. Both times I was required to show my DL. I did wonder about it at the time, but just wanted to get the thing done.

The fact that you're asking the question says that you're feeling that something was not right and I agree. I would go into the bank and check with the manager just to be ease your mind or call them if you have direct phone number for the branch.
I have never been able to talk to my local Post Office or bank in many years now, all calls are routed to customer no service and almost impossible to get them to put you through.

Why don't you ask the bank?
That would be too sensible! LOL (Besides, I think there is a 0.00% probability that they would say there was no reason for doing this.)

I agree it was over-caution but banks are silly these days. I'm Treasurer of our Garden Club. When I was added to the account they needed all kinds of crap including my driver's license and SS#. Then they called because they couldn't run a credit check because I'd frozen my credit. I asked why they needed it and they said it was to verify that I was who I said I was. (The DL isn't enough?) The account has the EIN of the Club to identify it, not my SSN. I discovered after repeatedly being prompted to input the last 4 digits of my SSN while trying to get on-line access, which no Treasurer had ever done before, and getting error messages.

And now every time I make a deposit I see them bring up the screen with the image of my driver's license. It creeps me out. They should not care who's making a deposit as long as they're not taking out cash.
That's insane!! a credit check, even? And that would creep me out, too. It's like we're living in a "Papers, please!" type of government like they used to mock in the Saturday morning cartoons on TV back in the 1950's.

Timely thread...I just deposited 2 diff checks on 2 diff days last month into my own account thru drive through. Both times I was required to show my DL. I did wonder about it at the time, but just wanted to get the thing done.

WOW!!! So it sounds like this really IS a thing. Oh Brave New World.

I guess I should be glad they aren't requiring a microchip embedded in my forearm that they could scan. :mad:

I deposited some cash in my daughter's checking account a while back and they asked me for my I.D. Cash, not a check......real greenbacks.

I typically use the drive through ATM. No DL, just my chip card. BUT, as I recall the last time I went inside the bank do this (pre-Covid) I DID need to supply my DL. Don't know why, and did not question it.

Sounds odd to me but OTOH, I haven't had to show any ID at my bank in years, regardless of the amount of the deposit or withdrawal.... But then, they all know me pretty well.

The fact that you're asking the question says that you're feeling that something was not right and I agree. I would go into the bank and check with the manager just to be ease your mind or call them if you have direct phone number for the branch.
I have never been able to talk to my local Post Office or bank in many years now, all calls are routed to customer no service and almost impossible to get them to put you through.

Well we've had posters here say they have been asked for ID and haven't been asked for ID. No one has suggested that anything underhanded was going on. W2R did your check show up as a new deposit?.

I suspect that if it's not government regulation it is dependent on the bank you are using and their policy. That's all fine as long as you have a DL or a passport what happens if you are a golden oldie and have neither.

I forgot my bank says for non account holders asking to cash a check, it's government ID and your thumbprint!

I think mine is probably the same, since it is a big "mega bank" so to speak. I do feel better about it now that I have heard that others here have had the same experience recently. At least that reassures me that it probably wasn't identity theft.

I deposited some cash in my daughter's checking account a while back and they asked me for my I.D. Cash, not a check......real greenbacks.
Un-effing-believable!! That's just outrageous (to me, but then remember that like you, I was born in the 1940's and grew up in a different world). I wonder what their rationale could possibly be for that. Oh well.

I typically use the drive through ATM. No DL, just my chip card. BUT, as I recall the last time I went inside the bank do this (pre-Covid) I DID need to supply my DL. Don't know why, and did not question it.
Interesting!

Sounds odd to me but OTOH, I haven't had to show any ID at my bank in years, regardless of the amount of the deposit or withdrawal.... But then, they all know me pretty well.
They don't know me at my bank, because I do almost everything online.

Well we've had posters here say they have been asked for ID and haven't been asked for ID. No one has suggested that anything underhanded was going on. W2R did your check show up as a new deposit?.

Yes, I just checked online and it's a new pending deposit.

I suspect that if it's not government regulation it is dependent on the bank you are using and their policy. That's all fine as long as you have a DL or a passport what happens if you are a golden oldie and have neither.
That would be a huge mess.

I forgot my bank says for non account holders asking to cash a check, it's government ID and your thumbprint!

Thumbprint too? Wow. I could see showing an ID if I was a non account holder asking to cash a check, but I'm the account holder! Plus I wasn't cashing the check, I was just depositing it. :mad:

I wonder if the ATM isn't photographing your face when you make a transaction now. Would a deposit would be rejected if someone showed up in a scarf and big dark sunglasses, Jackie Kennedy style?

Back
Top Bottom