Question about depositing check at bank drive-through

Yep--same routine at my bank at the drive up. I have to send my I.D. in the tube. However, if I make a deposit in the bank they don't check. No idea why.

Incidently, I LOVE the digital deposit. Saves me going to the bank for those small checks I get every so often. Very easy to do.

If I ask for a balance receipt when making a deposit, they ask me for my ID.

I actually prefer they ask for the ID so they can make sure the account is the proper one.

One day, the teller deposited DW's money into somebody else's account, maybe if an ID had been used, the teller might have noticed ? We had to go back to the bank and get a few people involved to pull out the money and fix it.

Originally Posted by OldShooter
Why don't you ask the bank?

That would be too sensible! LOL (Besides, I think there is a 0.00% probability that they would say there was no reason for doing this.) ...
WADR, hypothesizing that you will get an unacceptable answer doesn't make sense to me when to ask the question has zero cost and involves negligible effort. I would ask to talk to one the consumer banking officers or to the branch manager.

This thread has reminded me that I haven’t been to a physical bank or ATM for that matter in years. Don’t miss them either.

I agree it was over-caution but banks are silly these days.

This kind of nonsense is going on everywhere. Sam's club liquor asks 'everyone' for their DOB (I'm 60) never give them the real date)
The other night at cub foods, a man in his 50s, was required to produce a drivers license to buy a pack of cigarettes.

Last edited:
This thread has reminded me that I haven’t been to a physical bank or ATM for that matter in years. Don’t miss them either.

I only go there 5 or 6 times a year. (checking account) That's how often my mom writes me a check for co-pays on her prescriptions, groceries, etc.
I actually enjoy it though. The ladies are all nice, all know me, & since so many people avoid banks now, they're all too happy to have a nice talk.

I deposited some cash in my daughter's checking account a while back and they asked me for my I.D. Cash, not a check......real greenbacks.
Twenty years ago, I took $70,000 in cash to Bank of America to deposit in Mr. Pluperfect's business's account. The teller insisted on my social security card. I said I didn't have one, but I know my number, and she said tough. I asked to speak to a supervisor and the supervisor came and said tough. They had to have the card.

I said I've never had a social security card, but had gone to college, opened bank accounts, bought a house, had jobs, all with just the number, not the card. Tough.

So I gathered up the $70,000 in little plastic wrappers I'd set on the counter and put them in my coat pockets and walked to my car looking over my shoulder the entire time.

I went home and got every document I could find with my social security number on it and took it all to a BoA branch a few miles away from the first one. I said, "I need to deposit this cash but I don't have my social security card..." and the teller interrupted and said, "Do you know your number?" I said I did, and she said, "That's all we need."

The teller insisted on my social security card. I said I didn't have one, but I know my number, and she said tough. I asked to speak to a supervisor and the supervisor came and said tough. They had to have the card.

Also about 20 years ago, we had to get new driver's licenses after a theft. They needed our SS cards, but no problem; we still had our original cards from long ago.

Not a chance. The cards had been laminated, so they were unacceptable. We had to go the the local SS office and get new cards issued.

You can't run a bureaucracy without bureaucrats. :facepalm:

I would assume that is because of rampant IRS/Tax fraud. I also use my bank's mobile deposit and it would not occur to me to drive to the bank for any reason. I did have to go to my bank one time in the last year to wire money.

Hey, I'm too old to figure out how to do that! :LOL: Just wondering why an ID is required to deposit a check in person.

Worked in banking for 13 years. Was it your home branch?

If it wasn’t your home branch, she could’ve been being extra cautious to verify that your signature matches what they had on file or your ID — my thinking is the system where she could match to your signature card was probably down.

Definitely not a bad question. :greetings10:

I’m not aware of any new regulation regarding bank deposits. If the name on the check matches the name on the account there is no need for the id, especially for a small amount. If they have any doubt they can just wait for the check to clear before releasing the funds.

I think it’s the bank or teller being excessive careful, or just excessive.

I recently had a park ranger being excessively careful or exercising her state given authority against us peons. I have been a season pass holder at our local state park for the last two years. I have went to swim well over 50 times in those two years and never has anyone ask for my ID at the pay shack. Then this female demands ID along with my season pass to get in. And to make it worse there are 12 cars waiting in line behind me to get in while I'm fumbling to get my wallet out from under the seat, which is where I hide it out of view while I swim. "It's always something"

Worked in banking for 13 years. Was it your home branch?

If it wasn’t your home branch, she could’ve been being extra cautious to verify that your signature matches what they had on file or your ID — my thinking is the system where she could match to your signature card was probably down.

It's the closest branch to my house, so I have used it for the past 7 years. My home branch (where I set up my accounts back in the 1990's) was in my suburb too. It has been torn down for a few years, plus it was 2-3 miles farther away. So, I use this branch slightly closer to my house.

I would assume that is because of rampant IRS/Tax fraud. I also use my bank's mobile deposit and it would not occur to me to drive to the bank for any reason. I did have to go to my bank one time in the last year to wire money.

If you use your bank’s mobile app to deposit a check, you’ve already identified yourself by providing your login credentials. They probably recognized your device too.

Banking regs are different these days.

I tried to put $200 cash back into girlfriends acct with her debit card at the counter. Teller wouldn't let me, said I couldn't put money into someone else's account. I said it's only $200, it's not like it's Bill Gates' money. She said nope, can't do it.

So I went out front and deposited it into her acct via the ATM.

Banking regs are different these days.

I tried to put $200 cash back into girlfriends acct with her debit card at the counter. Teller wouldn't let me, said I couldn't put money into someone else's account. I said it's only $200, it's not like it's Bill Gates' money. She said nope, can't do it.

So I went out front and deposited it into her acct via the ATM.

Nice! Common sense rules the day....

I bank at a small-town bank, and they require ID every time I deposit a check or get cash from a check, always!!

I don't like it, but it is bank protocol to have ID check from everyone. I have banked there for 40 years. Even though I have a large sum of money there it doesn't matter. I have been turned down a few times when I didn't have my ID with me.

My neighbor was the bank president up till last year and a great friend through the years and still is. Lol

Last edited:
I recently had a park ranger being excessively careful or exercising her state given authority against us peons. I have been a season pass holder at our local state park for the last two years. I have went to swim well over 50 times in those two years and never has anyone ask for my ID at the pay shack. Then this female demands ID along with my season pass to get in. And to make it worse there are 12 cars waiting in line behind me to get in while I'm fumbling to get my wallet out from under the seat, which is where I hide it out of view while I swim. "It's always something"

Her behavior explains why the line was 12 cars deep.

Back
Top Bottom