Question about depositing check at bank drive-through

Look for many of the sticks and bricks bank locations to close. Other than businesses bringing in deposits, our bank branches are just about empty--no customers.

If a customer needs to apply for a loan, bankers put you on a PC in the corner to make application. Customers can do that from home.

I seldom do any in person transactions, but I had to move $ into the checking account today to pay a credit card. After 2 weeks in Europe, I swear my Visa bill beat me home.

I enjoy impersonal banking by ATM. That way I don't have any of teller silly policies to follow.

I agree it was over-caution but banks are silly these days. I'm Treasurer of our Garden Club. When I was added to the account they needed all kinds of crap including my driver's license and SS#. Then they called because they couldn't run a credit check because I'd frozen my credit. I asked why they needed it and they said it was to verify that I was who I said I was. (The DL isn't enough?)

A few years ago I was a board member on a newly-formed HOA. I went with the new President and Treasurer to a local bank to set up a checking account for the association. We each had to give the bank all the above info, including a permission for a credit check, to open the account and have signature rights. Much to his embarrassment, the Treasurer wasn't allowed on the account due to a fairly recent bankruptcy. :blush:

I wonder if the ATM isn't photographing your face when you make a transaction now. Would a deposit would be rejected if someone showed up in a scarf and big dark sunglasses, Jackie Kennedy style?
I'm pretty sure they do photograph the face at drive through ATMs now. I have seen the photos on news stories about people being kidnapped and forced to withdraw money.

Actually, I WAS wearing big, dark, wrap-around sunglasses (Ray-Ban "Predator"s) which make me look almost but not quite as fascinating and mysterious as Jacquie was.

Look for many of the sticks and bricks bank locations to close. Other than businesses bringing in deposits, our bank branches are just about empty--no customers.

If a customer needs to apply for a loan, bankers put you on a PC in the corner to make application. Customers can do that from home.

I seldom do any in person transactions, but I had to move $ into the checking account today to pay a credit card. After 2 weeks in Europe, I swear my Visa bill beat me home.

I enjoy impersonal banking by ATM. That way I don't have any of teller silly policies to follow.
That's why I like using the drive through ATM at my bank. Oh well! :)

A few years ago the I was a board member on a newly-formed HOA. I went with the new President and Treasurer to a local bank to set up a checking account for the association. We each had to give the bank all the above info, including a permission for a credit check, to open the account and have signature rights. Much to his embarrassment, the Treasurer wasn't allowed on the account due to a fairly recent bankruptcy. :blush:

Poor guy!

We were asked for ID when depositing a check a few years ago. We asked the teller why, and we were told it was because they did not recognize us. It had been many years since we had gone to a teller for a deposit. They now recognize us and no longer ask for ID.

I googled it, and Bankrate said some banks will ask. Not sure exactly why but it might be an over-cautious application of the KYC/AML laws that were enacted in the past ~15 years or so?

My bank of 25 yrs, now that it has changed hands again, cards me every time for any transaction.

They seem to churn tellers. Back in "the good ol' days" the tellers would always recognize me and never asked for ID. Not any more. It's always someone new now. And no more free candy or water in the lobby either.

Granted, I only go there if I need to deposit a paper check, or withdraw cash. No futuristic ATM gizmo or deluxe smart phone for me. Too complicated.

_B

We were asked for ID when depositing a check a few years ago. We asked the teller why, and we were told it was because they did not recognize us. It had been many years since we had gone to a teller for a deposit. They now recognize us and no longer ask for ID.
It's hard to understand their reasoning, when you were just depositing a check. Like pb4uski said, I'd welcome any unexpected deposits of any kind from mysterious, unknown personages.

All in all, it sounds like I can conclude that my mind is simply incapable of being as devious as whatever criminals and terrorists have been thinking up, lately. All this just seems so weird to me.

I googled it, and Bankrate said some banks will ask. Not sure exactly why but it might be an over-cautious application of the KYC/AML laws that were enacted in the past ~15 years or so?

OK! I looked up KYC/AML, and that is anti-money laundering stuff. Hmm. Interesting possibility. I don't exactly know how that would work, but I guess the idea is that I'd counterfeit the IRS check, deposit it into my own account, and then if investigated say that I had no idea who deposited it. I am pretty sure that counterfeiting an IRS check is something no sane person would try unless they seriously crave incarceration for a very long time.

My bank of 25 yrs, now that it has changed hands again, cards me every time for any transaction.

They seem to churn tellers. Back in "the good ol' days" the tellers would always recognize me and never asked for ID. Not any more. It's always someone new now. And no more free candy or water in the lobby either.
Your bank sounds just like mine, which has been my bank for 23 years. Every year the tellers seem younger. I think they are hiring second graders for tellers by now. (joking!) :2funny:

Granted, I only go there if I need to deposit a paper check, or withdraw cash. No futuristic ATM gizmo or deluxe smart phone for me. Too complicated.
I can use the ATMs easily, but they look at me like I am from Mars when I tell them that I don't want to put their app on my phone. :wiseone:

My credit union has required my ID for years when depositing to own account. Never understood it, but just went along with it.

A few years ago I was a board member on a newly-formed HOA. I went with the new President and Treasurer to a local bank to set up a checking account for the association. We each had to give the bank all the above info, including a permission for a credit check, to open the account and have signature rights. Much to his embarrassment, the Treasurer wasn't allowed on the account due to a fairly recent bankruptcy. :blush:
I was a signatory and also made the daily deposits for my employer so I knew everyone in the bank and sometimes took care of my personal banking at the same time.
One day I asked them to deposit a check I'd received for a large amount, at least 10K into my personal account.
When I got home and checked there was no deposit. After a sleepless night, I figured out they must have deposited it to my employers account in error and the receipt confirmed it. I did not fill in a deposit slip and just gave her my SS number to look up my account which unfortunately also brought up their account since I was a signatory on it. I was mortified and felt like a thief when I had to call corporate and explain the situation and tell them I would be pulling the money back out after the check cleared.
That was the last time I ever made a deposit without filling in a deposit slip.

MIL's credit union requires photo ID for deposits. I don't get it. I'm just the driver, lol

OK! I looked up KYC/AML, and that is anti-money laundering stuff. Hmm. Interesting possibility. I don't exactly know how that would work, but I guess the idea is that I'd counterfeit the IRS check, deposit it into my own account, and then if investigated say that I had no idea who deposited it. I am pretty sure that counterfeiting an IRS check is something no sane person would try unless they seriously crave incarceration for a very long time.

Your bank sounds just like mine, which has been my bank for 23 years. Every year the tellers seem younger. I think they are hiring second graders for tellers by now. (joking!) :2funny:

I can use the ATMs easily, but they look at me like I am from Mars when I tell them that I don't want to put their app on my phone. :wiseone:

For a whole 95 bucks someone would turn into a counterfeiter, sometimes the reasoning behind these "rules" is LOL funny.

I can’t remember the last time I went into a bank for a deposit or for cash. I deposit by iPhone and withdraw at a WaWa ATM that doesn’t charge any fees, even though my bank would reimburse them. Never had a glitch using my iPhone for banking.

Maybe they want to know who is attempting to wash a fake government check? I dunno, I always deposit with the ATM and they have extreme close ups of my face .

I often, but not always, get asked for DL when depositing checks in person. I like night deposit.

I cannot remember the last time I was asked to show my DL to deposit a check at our local bank. We use this branch enough (our safe deposit box is there) and they have a low teller turnover rate, so our faces are very familiar to them, maybe that is why.

At my credit union, when working I had to show my work ID, as it was associated with my account number. Since retiring I rarely go there for in person transactions at its nearest branch is 30 minutes away, but I would expect them to ask for my DL there (which I would not have a problem with, they are just making sure I am who I say I am :)).

My wife's sister was complaining about check deposits a few years back while she was visiting us. She is a member of a walking club and she was organising a weekend hike. She said that some members still insist on paying by paper check rather than bank transfer so she has to go into her bank to deposit them, but tellers don't do that anymore, they direct her to the machine for depositing checks where each check is scanned in, so it can take quite a while to deposit a number of checks.

We then showed her how to use her phone bank app to deposit checks using the phone's camera and she now deposits checks from the comfort of her house.

I can't remember the last time I had a paper check to deposit.

When I'm going by my brick and mortar credit union, I don't use the drive through; I go in. And, I speak to my teller, and the head teller, usually. They know me on sight. They know my kids. That's where we set their accounts up. I told them it's important to know your banker. IIRC, I never get asked for an ID.

If I'm not going by the CU, I use their App's deposit function on my phone.

She said that some members still insist on paying by paper check rather than bank transfer so she has to go into her bank to deposit them, but tellers don't do that anymore, they direct her to the machine for depositing checks where each check is scanned in, so it can take quite a while to deposit a number of checks.

More "self-service". :rolleyes: Never heard of that trick. Garden Club is similar but now that I've got on-line access I use my phone app to deposit checks. If someone gives me cash I keep it and write a personal check for that amount to the GC. It saves me going to the bank to deposit amounts like $22.

I attempted to get on-line bill-pay as well. They CHARGE for that. OK, I'll write checks. Silly.

Banks do vary a lot. When I was District Treasurer for Toastmasters, adding me to the bank account was a long ordeal with tons of papers to sign. The bank guy whined that it was all to comply with government regulations. A few years later I was Club Treasurer. The account was at another bank. I braced myself for a similar session and was out in 1/3 the time.

More "self-service". :rolleyes: Never heard of that trick.

That’s the way things are moving these days.

As it happens I called into our bank today to draw some cash (I usually use the ATM on the wall outside but this thread made me curious). There were 4 machines available inside. 1 was a regular ATM that I used, 1 was for Depositing checks, and 2 were for depositing cash. There were also 4 people in line waiting to see the teller so I have no idea what other types of transactions they were doing.

In 2019 when DD visited she had an old £10 note that couldn’t be spent in shops so I exchanged it for a new one and later went into the bank to exchange it. While stood in line another bank employee wandered down the line asking if she could assist, and for people depositing cash and checks she was able to show them how to use the machines.

In 2019 when DD visited she had an old £10 note that couldn’t be spent in shops so I exchanged it for a new one and later went into the bank to exchange it.

Five or six years ago I was in the UK and brought over some old £1 notes I had found in a drawer. I knew they weren't current, so I went in to a bank to exchange them.
The young tellers had never seen a pound note and didn't know what to do. I stood there grinning while one of them made about five phone calls to supervisors and finally got permission to exchange them.
But then he didn't know how to document it and finally just reached into his own pocket and handed me coins. Guess he kept the bills as a souvenir. :LOL:

Five or six years ago I was in the UK and brought over some old £1 notes I had found in a drawer. I knew they weren't current, so I went in to a bank to exchange them.
The young tellers had never seen a pound note and didn't know what to do. I stood there grinning while one of them made about five phone calls to supervisors and finally got permission to exchange them.
But then he didn't know how to document it and finally just reached into his own pocket and handed me coins. Guess he kept the bills as a souvenir. :LOL:

Great story. The pound note was discontinued in 1988 so possibly before the young tellers were born :LOL:

WE usually use the drive up ATM, but a few times that line has been longer than the teller one.
Whenever we use the teller, for deposit or withdrawal, we get asked for ID.
When I go into the bank, I also get asked for ID.
This is the same bank I have been with since my first checking account at age 16!

I think it may be a security thing. Doesn't bother me, and probably is a good thing to do.

No, I’ve never been asked for ID at deposit.

Maybe because is was an US Govt issued check?

Maybe they want to know who is attempting to wash a fake government check? I dunno, I always deposit with the ATM and they have extreme close ups of my face .
Along the lines of what I was thinking.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom