Question for Asthma Sufferers

PawPrint53

Recycles dryer sheets
My DH had lung problems for about a year before the pulmonologist diagnosed him, after tons of tests, with exercise induced asthma. Although I've never considered putting on socks or drying yourself after a shower exercise. Panting heavily after doing those two activities were part of his symptoms. Anyway, he's now on an inhaled steroid twice a day. We caught a cold last week, and I'm pretty much done. The cold stayed in my head, but his went to his chest, and he's still coughing and feeling miserable. He wondered if the inhaled steroid makes him more susceptible to chest colds and having the symptoms continue. He's also wondering if stopping the steroid would help clear it up faster. Any thoughts or experiences?

Funny you post this.... About 6 months ago I was put on Symbicort, then I had this same thing happen. I stopped the the Symbicort, then after two more weeks finally got a shot in the A$$ and an antibiotic, this cleared the caugh after 10 more days ...... Not going back on Symbicort

He wondered if the inhaled steroid makes him more susceptible to chest colds
Yes they can.

Try rinsing and gargling after the inhalation to remove the steroid from the mouth and throat. It is only needed in the lungs.

Tell your doc. He may recommend a different brand of steroid.

I would not recommend stopping the steroids without asking your doc.

Btw, I am not a doctor, so this is not medical advice. Just suggestions.

I was diagnosed in January and put on a daily hit of Relvar/Ellipta. I got a bad cold in February that was lodged in my chest for about 3 weeks -- this was new for me. I wondered if the daily spritz contributed to the cold's unusual longevity; but didn't look into it with my doctor. I also got a second cold about 5 days after the first one was mainly over. That too was unprecedented for me (and no fun either).

-BB

On the other hand... I’m not on a steroid preventer but when I get a cold I need a hit from my ventolin inhaler twice daily or I almost certainly get a horrible cough and breathing problems. For me getting the breathing help is a must.

I have been on an inhaled steroid for about 15 years and would never stop it without the doctors directive. My breathing worsens if I do not use it for a couple of days - like if I forget to refill on time. As for colds, it seems some colds do settle in the chest, and I use the rescue inhaler to break up the mucus and enable free breathing. It could be that your husband is now acutely aware of his lungs and breathing. I know that is the case for me...

Since I have gotten asthma colds effect me more then they used to by settling in my chest. The meds seem to help me.

Steroids taken by mouth are absorbed into the bloodstream, travel throughout the body and in therapeutic doses can cause immunosuppression, among other side effects. However, the benefit of inhaled steroids is that very little steroid is absorbed into the bloodstream. They just go to the lungs and airways. Therefore, immunosuppression is rare with inhaled steroids. A lot of the inhaled steroid is deposited in the mouth, particularly if the patient’s technique is not optimal, and occasionally, this can facilitate candida infection (thrush) in the mouth. But for inhaled steroids to cause or worsen chest infections would be rare. It is much more likely that the problem is due to the underlying lung condition (of which inflammation is a key element), in which case, discontinuing the inhaled steroid is likely to make things worse.

Disclaimer: I am a doctor, but not DH’s doctor. Pleaee have DH address this question with his doctor.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Interesting to know what others are going through.

Don’t know what he is taking, but symbicort also has a 12 hour bronchodilator - which loosens things up and can cause a cough as a result. I know when my asthma was bad colds were very tough, esp in cold weather

A bit late on this thread, but after 2 years of colds going to my chest, which they never did before, and having lingering breathing issues for months, I too was diagnosed with asthma. The only thing that helped get over those colds/breathing issues has been the steroid inhalers. So I definitely wouldn't stop them w/o talking to the doctor.

What is causing his to go to his chest and linger around is most likely the asthma, not the steroid inhaler.

Although definitely like Ever_Ready said, rinse mouth out or brush teeth after using. Had my doctor tell me that, the nurse tell me that, and the pharmacist tell me that.

I was diagnosed in January and put on a daily hit of Relvar/Ellipta. I got a bad cold in February that was lodged in my chest for about 3 weeks -- this was new for me. I wondered if the daily spritz contributed to the cold's unusual longevity; but didn't look into it with my doctor. I also got a second cold about 5 days after the first one was mainly over. That too was unprecedented for me (and no fun either).

-BB

I'm not on any inhaled steroid, but I got a similar cold/virus. It settled in my lungs and would not let go for weeks. I know several other people with a similar experience this past cold/flu season.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom