Question for folks with arthritis in their knee

I use CBD products from American Shaman. I rub the lotion on my knee and I sometimes put the oil under my tongue. There may be cheaper cbd products online, but American Shaman is local to me and I have always felt their products work well. They can be purchased online. (I have no connection with this company other than as a customer.)

Not really. As a topical application it doesn't have anywhere near the same impact as an oral NSAID. It's an excellent drug, and I'm pretty sure something else will kill me long before the cumulative effect of the Voltaren does.
Interesting, yet it helps with the pain, so is it not absorbed by the body??, or does skin porosity vary from person to person that much, as they say YMMV

https://youtu.be/VfR1s3H3Gko

Hydrolized collagen has been tremendous for me...it’s takes 6 weeks to really kick in but it is wonderful pain relief...i believe it puts the space back between your joints as the real pain relief comes when the bones are not rubbing against each other...in the video it show X-rays of before and after knees. Read the reviews on Amazon from thousands of happy users...it helps your whole body since everything depends on collagen!

I had my first encounter with this a few months ago. I saw an ortho and he said taking an OTC like Aleve would be OK, but he also Rx me a month of PT. While the Aleve did not do too much for me, the PT helped tremendously. I had the same problem going up and down the stairs.

5 arthroscopic knee surgeries here. Ibuprofen works best for me. I have a prescription called Nabumetone that I use sparingly when it get really bad.

The best for me though? Lots of ice, water walking and swimming laps.

My stationary bike added 10 years to my damaged knee’s useful life. Apparently it promoted the production of lubricating fluid in the knee. When 20 to 30 minutes of biking no longer helped that was a clear signal I was getting near to TKR time.

Well, I ordered some CBD cream as recommended by a poster. It's supposed to get here Friday. This will be interesting...

CBD did zero zip nada for my knee.

Well, maybe your knee was beyond anything helping other than surgery? I know I am nowhere near needing surgery yet. I don't know. I figure it didn't cost that much and if it helps then it will be worth it and if it doesn't then I'm not out a fortune and will move along to something else. All I know is that this is something I can't "wait out" as arthritis only gets worse and progressively more debilitating. If I can delay that "worse" then I will, within reason.

Yes, I know I should see a doctor, but I really hate going to doctors unless absolutely necessary. If I can wait out a problem or self treat with OTC meds I will do it. And I know the next logical step is to get the shot in the knee, but I get queasy just thinking about that. This pain has almost taken me to the point that I will make an appointment - I just have to get myself psyched up for that (I really, really hate going to doctors).

I also hate going to doctors and I will try anything to take care of the problem first. But nothing worked and the pain was interfering with my life. The shot in the knee is no big deal, I was worried but they deaden it first and other than a little bit of pressure you don't feel a thing. It was the best decision I have made.

My doctor did a shot in my knee. I cried it hurt so much and didn't help me one bit. Won't see that doctor again. I think he gave it to me in the wrong spot.

Fast forward 5 years latter, I have lost 50 lbs...does my knee feel better? No. But if I pace myself and don't do all my 10,000 steps per day at one time I am keeping the pain under control. I too, use cbd/thc cream and that seems to dull the pain somewhat.

I wish you luck finding something that works for your pain.

Then he did something wrong. After an anesthetic and a few minutes wait, I got the shot and didn't feel anything other than some pressure. It's been two years and my knee is still doing well over all.

I tripped over the dog in August and the right leg got messed up good. It kept getting better every day than 3 weeks ago just screaming knee pain.
Went to the PCP and he said torn maniscus (sp?) and told me to go to Ortho for an MRI. Got to Ortho today and was told no MRI till an x-ray. X-ray shows sever osteoarthritis. Not bad enough for surgery, to bad to bother if it's a torn maniscus.
He gave me a Cortisone shot and he said it may take three weeks to work.
Naproxine and ibuprofen for now.
OP, how'd the CBD creme work for you?

My stationary bike added 10 years to my damaged knee’s useful life. Apparently it promoted the production of lubricating fluid in the knee. When 20 to 30 minutes of biking no longer helped that was a clear signal I was getting near to TKR time.
Not to hijack the thread Chuckanut, but what type of stationary bike have you used?

I am needing one to fend off TAR. Knees still ok.

I tripped over the dog in August and the right leg got messed up good. It kept getting better every day than 3 weeks ago just screaming knee pain.
Went to the PCP and he said torn maniscus (sp?) and told me to go to Ortho for an MRI. Got to Ortho today and was told no MRI till an x-ray. X-ray shows sever osteoarthritis. Not bad enough for surgery, to bad to bother if it's a torn maniscus.

I am not the OP but I had meniscus tear a couple of ears ago, MRI showed some arthritis. Tore the meniscus dancing. I got the meniscus repaired, easy day surgery, knee is MUCH better, was back to dancing in 2 weeks. If the cortisone shot does not help I would get a second opinion on the meniscus surgery. Regarding CBD creme, I have used it with good success on the other knee. Husband says it helps his back. Mother says it helps her hand arthritis and hip arthritis. We are buying it by the case now. Hah!

Meh. I don't really think it did anything for my knee. I also have arthritis in my left thumb that is really painful at times. I also used it on that and it *may* have helped ease the pain, or it may have just been wishful thinking. But both seem to have settled down in the past few weeks to where the knee is not really problem and the thumb is better, although always present. I seem to go in cycles with the level of pain. I don't know if that's normal or not. Thanks for asking :flowers:

Not to hijack the thread Chuckanut, but what type of stationary bike have you used?

I am needing one to fend off TAR. Knees still ok.

My stationary bike is a throwback to the old days and a true LBYM purchase. It is a Sunny brand bike. No electric anything on it. It's basically a big 40 pound flywheel up front, and adjustments for tension, seat position and handle bar position. Very simple. Mine is well over a dozen years old. Here is their current model of a similar bike:

https://sunnyhealthfitness.com/coll...-chain-drive-pro-indoor-cycling-exercise-bike

FWIW, my experience with it was if I pedaled at least four times a week, my knee did not bother me much. If I slacked off for a few weeks, my knee would start throbbing from time to time, its way of telling me to get back on the bike. From what I understand, pedaling a bike stimulates the production of lubricating fluid in the knee which kept me going despite being bone on bone. YMMV.

I knew the time was near for the knee replacement when the pedaling no longer worked very well. :(

FWIW, I tried cortisone shots, but only the first few worked. Besides there is evidence that cortisone shots, over time, will weaken other parts of the knee. Not so good.

Naproxen is good for pain. Ibuprofen is good too, but shorter duration. If you want fancypants go with Celebrex (celecoxib).

Naproxen is good for pain. Ibuprofen is good too, but shorter duration. If you want fancypants go with Celebrex (celecoxib).

They all work but I recently read some good science that said plain old aspirin stays in your system slightly longer than either ibuprofen or naproxen. So that’s what I use most of the time.

I have not found anything OTC that helps with the osteoarthritis pain. I understand that some folks take 2 Aleve and 1 (one ) ibuprofen at the same time and that helps. That did not work for me.
+1
I had a knee replacement a few years ago once the pain got so bad I couldn't walk anymore. I tried every OTC meds with no luck. I also have a fused back and a shoulder that will need replacing in the not so distant future. Pain in my back, shoulder, leg, and hands are a constant. So far tried all the OTC a number of times and cortisone injections (eventually this makes the joint deterioration worse over time.). I have had a number of stem cell treatments which did not make a difference since the joints were too far gone. I have been on opiates a number of times which helped a little but I didn't like all the side effects. Got off of those with the help of medical cannabis. Some relief but no side effects other than relaxation and a little buzz. Since I don't like to use OTC meds or opiates for pain due to the many potential side effects to my liver, kidneys, etc. There isn't much on the market that is safe to use for one reason or another. But when you are in pain you will try anything even if it is only slightly effective.

My knee replacement allows me to walk but I always have a tight feeling in the joint but at least not painful. The pain in 4 other joints keeps me searching.

Others may have better experiences/successes. Hope you are one of them.

Cheers!

My stationary bike is a throwback to the old days and a true LBYM purchase. It is a Sunny brand bike. No electric anything on it. It's basically a big 40 pound flywheel up front, and adjustments for tension, seat position and handle bar position. Very simple. Mine is well over a dozen years old. Here is their current model of a similar bike:

https://sunnyhealthfitness.com/coll...-chain-drive-pro-indoor-cycling-exercise-bike

FWIW, my experience with it was if I pedaled at least four times a week, my knee did not bother me much. If I slacked off for a few weeks, my knee would start throbbing from time to time, its way of telling me to get back on the bike. From what I understand, pedaling a bike stimulates the production of lubricating fluid in the knee which kept me going despite being bone on bone. YMMV.

I knew the time was near for the knee replacement when the pedaling no longer worked very well. :(

FWIW, I tried cortisone shots, but only the first few worked. Besides there is evidence that cortisone shots, over time, will weaken other parts of the knee. Not so good.

+1
I do the same thing but with a stationary recumbent. If I could ride a regular stationary bike I would seriously consider the one you have. A 40 pound flywheel with mechanical controls should last a very long time and the price is great. My stationary recumbent cost about 5X that one.

Cheers!

They all work but I recently read some good science that said plain old aspirin stays in your system slightly longer than either ibuprofen or naproxen. So that’s what I use most of the time.
The half-life of aspirin is 3-4 hours, naproxen is 12-17 hours, ibuprofen is 2 hours, celecoxib is 12 hours. Aspirin has a lot of bleeding risks.

After my total knee replacement in August, my surgeon prescribed pills that contained both hydrocodone (an opiate) and acetaminophen in the same pill. Those were great, but I didn't take many of them even the first week, and quit taking them entirely shortly after that because I didn't need that much pain control. (I know, I know, I was one of the lucky ones.)

Then, for a month and a half, I didn't sleep for more than an hour or two most nights! It was worse than engineering school. At first I could not figure out why. Turned out that because I am a very light sleeper who does some major flopping around while asleep, my *extremely* mild, almost imperceptible pain at that point, was keeping me from sleeping. I tried one of the prescription pain pills and slept like a rock for hours and hours. So I suspected that pain might be the cause of my sleep issues. But really I felt like opiates were overkill in my case.

So, I tried generic OTC acetaminophen, 1000 mg, an hour before bedtime. Works perfectly and I have slept 7-8 hours every night since (except last night, 9.5 hours!).
6978-albums71-picture641.gif

I *never* had any luck with acetaminophen before, but it works surprisingly well for my knee. I don't take it at any time except bedtime.

Other treatments: Before my total knee replacement, I tried Celebrex back in 2000-2001, which worked, but then quit taking them due to one of those media scares about its safety (which I think must have been over-hyped). I just toughed it out with no medication for quite a while, but the pain got worse and worse through the years. In 2016 I took prescription Meloxicam, which works wonderfully but it is an NSAID and despite claims that it doesn't bother one's stomach, it bothered mine. So I quit taking them. Finally this year I bought and used an icing machine that I thought really helped with knee pain even before my surgery. It reduces swelling, and although it doesn't eliminate all pain, it eliminates any pain that is due to swelling. But, when I got the torn meniscus as well as the bad osteoarthritis in that knee, I decided that enough is enough and went ahead and had the total knee replacement done.

Medicare plus my BCBS insurance (mostly Medicare I think) paid every cent of the total knee replacement except for about $10-$20 for the pain pills.

One problem with CBD oil is that from what was on the news most actually do NOT have any in them...

It was awhile back, but 9 out of 10 had none or very little CBD in them... so any benefit was placebo...

I'm going to stop at a CBD store today.
The cortisone shot is kicking in, the swelling has receded, and the pain is now bareable. Hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that can get by on just the shots every few months.
This whole thing is a reminder not to put off doing those things I love. Pretty sure mountain hikes will never be the same.

Back
Top Bottom