Question for Sourdough Bread Makers

I'm always using up things like left over oatmeal or cookies or crumbled up cornbread so I have to try to get a good ratio of flour to liquid and its all by feel. The birds and squirrels get the remains if its not good.

I did the sourdough for a year or two, great bread and prefer to any store bought. One frustration was that the delicious crust was damn near impossible to cut even with the pretty decent serrated bread knife I had. The recipe I used called for hot cast iron dutch oven that I used. Any tricks to make the crust any easier to cut (and not risk losing fingers!) One loaf cut beautifully - with my band saw! Decided that was just wrong.

It sounds like you are establishing a new starter from scratch, so I’m not sure you would use that discard for making pancakes, etc., just yet. But once it’s established in a week or two, definitely. I use my discard to make pizza dough once a week, which is about how often I make bread and feed my starter. If you don’t discard, you will soon have enough starter to fill a swimming pool.

I love my sourdough. It’s the only bread we eat.

An old "Sourdough" might say "we dont need no stinking badges" but scales would give more accurate and reproducible results.

An old "Sourdough" might say "we don't need no stinking cheechakos" but scales would give more accurate and reproducible results.

Baking is an adventure

After a career as a carpet bagger I now could expand my horizons to being a cheechako. At least the adventures would be wild.

Personally, I keep a far smaller amount of sourdough starter on a daily basis... I discard down to just 10-20 grams, feed up to ~50 grams, feed every 2-3 days, and call it. That allows me to have far less discard. When I'm gonna bake a loaf, I'll feed it up to ~150 grams.

If you do sourdough pancakes & other baked delights very frequently (1-2x weekly or more), then maybe you want to use more. But if those side-recipes are less common (as they are for me -- maybe 1x/mo), it can get easy to be overwhelmed by discard. So keep the amount small and it's way easier (plus cheaper, since you go through flour at less than half the pace).

The practice I was taught on the youtube channel that I referenced is to feed the starter 50 grams each of water and active starter to make the next loaf of bread, which leaves about 2 grams of residue. Feed it again the same way and put it in the fridge until the night before it’s needed. Repeat. This leaves no discard but works only with established and active starters. This has worked for me. If I leave on extended travel, I need to reactivate the starter with a day or two of just feedings/discardswhen I come home.

Last edited:
FWIW sourdough starters freeze fine. Thaw and a few feeds and you get it going again.

Baking I've converted most to grams over the last few years... I tend to take notes each recipe. I've been using a 20+ y/o postal scale that is slightly annoying (always defaults to ounces, times out too rapidly, and has a 5lb limit that limits using some glassware). Does anyone have a recommendation for a battery-powered kitchen scale that doesn't have these faults? So much off brand garbage out there I'm hesitant to buy anything but don't want to break the bank either.

FWIW sourdough starters freeze fine. Thaw and a few feeds and you get it going again.

That is interesting! Thanks

Not sure I'm smart enough with all that goes into baking a sourdough loaf of bread. Lol

A lot of learning and prep to every step to be successful.

I been doing some reading on when it is time to actually start to bake with the starter. It said after day 7 take a drop of starter and drop it into a glass of water. If the starter floats, it's ready to use if it sinks do another feed and check the next day.

Is this how you know it is ready to use or how can I tell? Thanks

Baking I've converted most to grams over the last few years... I tend to take notes each recipe. I've been using a 20+ y/o postal scale that is slightly annoying (always defaults to ounces, times out too rapidly, and has a 5lb limit that limits using some glassware). Does anyone have a recommendation for a battery-powered kitchen scale that doesn't have these faults? So much off brand garbage out there I'm hesitant to buy anything but don't want to break the bank either.

I’ve used an 11 lb max $12 etekcity kitchen scale that has worked well for me for ten years. Highly rated on amazon fwiw. All my scale errors are user issues. I’ve owned it a long time. It’s not high end but does the job.

To street, if the starter is doubling in size after 7 or less days, I would say it’s good to go.

I been doing some reading on when it is time to actually start to bake with the starter. It said after day 7 take a drop of starter and drop it into a glass of water. If the starter floats, it's ready to use if it sinks do another feed and check the next day.

Is this how you know it is ready to use or how can I tell? Thanks
the starter is going to grow and when it doubles by volume is a good indication. the tablespoon in the water is also an effective trick.

Your prior post, it's really not all that hard, but one of the reasons I recommended sticking with 1 recipe until you are dialed in. Pay attention to how the dough responds. Make notes.

Thank you all again.

Been interesting adventure even though it has only been 48 hours.

@street, you asked about the timing earlier.

I started a loaf yesterday, actually, late the night before.

Monday night 10pm, 50 gr feeding
Tuesday 7:30am, 100 gr feeding
Tuesday 9:30, mix dough into shaggy ball and left alone until 4pm.
Tuesday 4:00pm, two series of stretch and folds at 4 and 4:30.
left dough along on counter until 10:30 this morning
Wednesday 10:30, shaped dough and set in proofing basket

I'll let that sit for an hour or so until it gasses up a little bit, then I'll bake it off.

Sometimes I proof in the fridge, or bulk ferment in the fridge and then proof in the basket in the fridge. Sometimes I'll let it sit in the fridge for a day or two. Slow cold rise develops a very deep flavor and in my experience, a denser loaf. I was looking for lighter airier on this one so I'm going to let it gas up a bit.

You want to really go down a rabbit hole, go to the youtube and watch "scoring bread" videos.

street, I suggest you go ahead and start baking some bread using store bought yeast that the recipe you choose calls for so you can get a feel for what the bread making process is like. That way you will be familiar with what the sourdough recipe you follow will resemble. Nothing beats getting experience.

@street, you asked about the timing earlier.

I started a loaf yesterday, actually, late the night before.

Monday night 10pm, 50 gr feeding
Tuesday 7:30am, 100 gr feeding
Tuesday 9:30, mix dough into shaggy ball and left alone until 4pm.
Tuesday 4:00pm, two series of stretch and folds at 4 and 4:30.
left dough along on counter until 10:30 this morning
Wednesday 10:30, shaped dough and set in proofing basket

I'll let that sit for an hour or so until it gasses up a little bit, then I'll bake it off.

Sometimes I proof in the fridge, or bulk ferment in the fridge and then proof in the basket in the fridge. Sometimes I'll let it sit in the fridge for a day or two. Slow cold rise develops a very deep flavor and in my experience, a denser loaf. I was looking for lighter airier on this one so I'm going to let it gas up a bit.

You want to really go down a rabbit hole, go to the youtube and watch "scoring bread" videos.
Experiencing and sharing is the best advise one can get. Thank You.

street, I suggest you go ahead and start baking some bread using store bought yeast that the recipe you choose calls for so you can get a feel for what the bread making process is like. That way you will be familiar with what the sourdough recipe you follow will resemble. Nothing beats getting experience.

I think that's great advice! Since sourdough is more complex, best to get the basics down.

I'm a pretty casual bread maker (but DW got a sourdough kit for Christmas, so I'm following this thread), but I can tell you one tip that has raised my confidence and results immeasurably. When your loaf is approaching being done baking, stick a probe into it, and verify it has reached ~ 200F internal.

Since doing that, I've never had a 'doughy' loaf, and never have stressed out over tapping it and trying to evaluate the tone of the 'thunk'. 200F - that's the key. Move the probe around to ensure you've hit the coolest spot.

Some sources give a little broader range, saying to also consider how browned you want the crust. But I don't think you can go wrong with 200F +/- 5F.

-ERD50

When your loaf is approaching being done baking, stick a probe into it, and verify it has reached ~ 200F internal.
bake enough and the bread will tell you when it's done by smell. I've finally gotten to that point. Just the other night (2 loaves over the weekend) I told my wife "bread's done" about 2 minutes before my timer went off. It was at 208 on my probe. I put one loaf back to get a little more color. the other loaf was perfect.

It's all experience, trial (and error).

One bit of advice or perspective I'll share...it's only flour, water, yeast (or starter) and salt. Even a bad loaf will taste better than store bought, or you can make it into croutons, breadcrumbs, or feed the racoons or birds.

In the end, don't sweat it. Really.

:)

bake enough and the bread will tell you when it's done by smell. I've finally gotten to that point. ....
In the end, don't sweat it. Really.

:)

Impressive, but as you say ("I've finally gotten to that point."), that takes experience.

I think a check for 200F is great starting point for beginner/intermediate and even advanced bread bakers.

For those with enough experience to "be one with the bread", more power to you! No one starts there.

-ERD50

Oh, My Oh My how can I go wrong with this amazing advice!! I'm getting more confident with this venture all the time. A bad loaf of sourdough bread is still better than a boughten loaf of commercial bread. If that isn't a confidence builder nothing else is.

Back
Top Bottom