Questions re: Georgia

killingme

Recycles dryer sheets
Been spending some time travelling to different states, and looking at moving from (God help me) Connecticut, to either SE Fla, Knoxville area Tn but have read some interesting/promising things about Georgia. The two biggest things Ct has going for it is proximity and health care plus my DW has never lived anywhere else.

My questions are;

Are there coastal cities other than Savannah that we might want to look at (I spent a great deal of time in NYC and am not a fan of cities)

Is the weather as oppressive as it seems (was in Atlanta in July, think I left the soles of my shoes melted on the sidewalk)

How is the availability and access to health care?

I have done some research on my own but haven't heard from anyone living it so any help is appreciated!

In South, lower the altitude, the more humid it is - water heavier than air - & hotter it is. Only on coasts is there some relief. If looking at K-ville, I'd think higher places like Greenville, SC; Asheville, NC; and north GA (north of ATL) hills would be spots worth looking at.

Been spending some time travelling to different states, and looking at moving from (God help me) Connecticut, to either SE Fla, Knoxville area Tn but have read some interesting/promising things about Georgia. The two biggest things Ct has going for it is proximity and health care plus my DW has never lived anywhere else.

My questions are;

Are there coastal cities other than Savannah that we might want to look at (I spent a great deal of time in NYC and am not a fan of cities)

Is the weather as oppressive as it seems (was in Atlanta in July, think I left the soles of my shoes melted on the sidewalk)

How is the availability and access to health care?

I have done some research on my own but haven't heard from anyone living it so any help is appreciated!

Atlanta is about 1000 feet above sea level and cooler (overall) than most places on the same latitude. If that is your benchmark for "too hot", I'd think north not south.

Is Knoxville interesting to you because of Tennessee's income tax situation?

The Golden Isles meet your "not a city" criteria and are still (relatively) affordable.

Good luck. You might want to elaborate a bit on your criteria.

Atlanta is about 1000 feet above sea level and cooler (overall) than most places on the same latitude. If that is your benchmark for "too hot", I'd think north not south.

Is Knoxville interesting to you because of Tennessee's income tax situation?

The Golden Isles meet your "not a city" criteria and are still (relatively) affordable.

Good luck. You might want to elaborate a bit on your criteria.
Knoxville area because the mountains and it has more moderate weather. The big drawback to me there is proximity to the ocean. Was looking at Gatlinburg/Sevierville area more specifically.

Knoxville area because the mountains and it has more moderate weather. The big drawback to me there is proximity to the ocean. Was looking at Gatlinburg/Sevierville area more specifically.

Asheville/Highlands/Cashiers/Brevard NC have stunningly good weather if "not too hot but not brutally cold" are high on the list. I think Asheville gets good marks for healthcare.

There is not a great fit in terms of close proximity to both mountains and ocean in the east. You'd have to go west for that, I think.

I grew up in Jesup, Ga, which is 20 miles inland from Saint Simons Island. I’ve visited most of the barrier islands and can verify that it is a special, beautiful region. My mother moved from Jesup to Saint Simons in 1984 and stayed until 2019, leaving for Savannah as some significant health problems developed and she was no longer comfortable driving to her see docs in Savannah. Brunswick has a significant hospital but she was never thrilled with the service. OP, you might check out Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island, Florida. You’d get the same coastal charm but you’d be in Florida with zero income tax and nearby Jacksonville has an excellent Mayo Clinic location.

Also, yes, of course it is hot, hotter than Atlanta. I also never once shoveled snow growing up on the Georgia Coast. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Asheville/Highlands/Cashiers/Brevard NC have stunningly good weather if "not too hot but not brutally cold" are high on the list. I think Asheville gets good marks for healthcare.

There is not a great fit in terms of close proximity to both mountains and ocean in the east. You'd have to go west for that, I think.

Thanks...more options are always better .

I grew up in Jesup, Ga, which is 20 miles inland from Saint Simons Island. I’ve visited most of the barrier islands and can verify that it is a special, beautiful region. My mother moved from Jesup to Saint Simons in 1984 and stayed until 2019, leaving for Savannah as some significant health problems developed and she was no longer comfortable driving to her see docs in Savannah. Brunswick has a significant hospital but she was never thrilled with the service. OP, you might check out Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island, Florida. You’d get the same coastal charm but you’d be in Florida with zero income tax and nearby Jacksonville has an excellent Mayo Clinic location.

Also, yes, of course it is hot, hotter than Atlanta. I also never once shoveled snow growing up on the Georgia Coast. Good luck to you.

Yes, just say no to shoveling snow! I don't mind a little bit as long as it's gone in a day or two.

Hot I can deal with but last time I was in Atlanta it may have been unusual. It was in the 80's at 7am and just kept getting hotter and more humid as the day went on. At least with a coastal town you might catch a breeze.

Back
Top Bottom