Quick help needed: HDTV purchase!

Couple of tidbits that might be of interest, since we just took the HD plunge.

Most of the tvs in the store are set to the so-called "torch" mode. Brightness turned up, colors over saturated, and with a dvd of 1080i eye candy playing. When you get it home and set it to theater mode or whatever they call the setting with normal brightness, contrast and color, it'll look very different.

Some HD televisions are very poor at displaying SD from signal sources like analog cable tv. Even if you have digital cable, the first 99 channels are analog. Some of those might have digital or HD counterparts though.

As far as I know, absolutely zero stations are producing or broadcasting content in 1080p and due to the bandwidth constraints that might remain the case for many, many years. A great deal of current content is just 720p.

Cable and satellite providers are compressing the signal, reducing the quality, in their lockdown competitive battle to claim the most HD channels. They only have so much pipe, so in order to fit more channels into it, the quality has to be reduced. A recent analysis by a videophile on avsforum.com found that comcast was reducing their PQ by as much as 30-40% on some channels.

Directv is trying to mitigate this by launching more satellites, which makes the required dish larger and much harder to accurately point to pick up the current 5 satellites. Cable is trying to mitigate this by offering up some kind of a switched cable methodology which will render every device currently in use obsolete, including cable tuners, tivos and the current cablecards. While this will take a long time to implement, its possible that your current cablecard ready television will need an external box to decode cable tv in 3-5 years. The cable companies REALLY hate the cablecard thing.

Directv's new HD dish is frickin huge. I'm all but certain I could take it off, get on the roof and jump while holding it over my head and sail for at least 2 miles before touching the ground.

Directv's new HD receivers stink. I feel like I'm testing a beta product.

Contrast IS pretty important, but less of an issue these days. Early HD plasma/lcd sets often had 500:1 or 750:1 contrast ratios. The nutshell is that this is the range of difference allowed between the darkest and lightest shades. A set with a 500:1 contrast ratio might be unable to display a true black shade when the brightness is turned up or a true white shade when the brightness is turned down. My first plasma set from a million years ago had a 500:1 ratio and I hated it. If it was a dark movie, you had muddy gray or yellow whites and in a bright movie, gray or purple tones instead of black. Many vendors of cheap sets now use "dynamic contrast" which attempts to adjust the range up and down to match the video content being supplied. Others claim ridiculous 10,000:1 ratios that dont actually happen in real use but makes the stats look better than the 5000:1 on the set next to it in the store, even though it might be an inferior set.

Its hard to beat something like a vizio set for $1000-1100 at Costco for price/performance.

TV's these days dont last as long as TV's used to. I had some 12 year old sets still be going strong while I've had some sets bought in the last 5 years crap out after a couple of years.

HDMI can be a pain in the butt. Besides making for a nice one wire connection between your signal source and the tv, HDMI has copy protection circuitry built into it. At some point, some content may be produced that requires the use of HDMI (vs component) or it wont play on your set, although that day may be 5 years away. In the meanwhile, many sets have tamper proofing built into the set so that you cant break into the signal stream and steal the protected content. My JVC set has (i am not making this up) a sensor inside that detects if you've removed the back of the set which disables the HDMI card and requires that it be replaced by the technician servicing it. Which went off when I moved the set from the old house to the new one, disabling the HDMI port. If you wiggle the cable funny, or your 3 year old does, it also disables the port. Fortunately I found a service menu option that allows you to do a funny series of self-tests, powering the unit on and off, and then pulling the plug in mid power on to force a re-enable of the HDMI port.

As far as the PQ...it looks great especially on eye candy like Discovery HD theater. Other shows look markedly clearer. For ten minutes. Then except for specific scenes you sort of forget its there. But when you flip on an SD show after watching HD for an hour, the SD show looks muddy.

Wow, thanks for all that info. I, personally, am reading it again to make sure I understand all.
Of course, since I am BFE Il/Ia border, there is no Costco here...grrrrr. I did check out Sam's, tho. It was kinda Sams or Best Buy here..and a place called American? Never heard of American before, but they are here. Other than that, just the normal applicance stores with higher prices. Kind of a forced choice as to where to buy here.
This area is around 400,000--and it is still too small to have anything worth while! All those that love small towns can definitely have my part!!!!
Consumers Report suggests buying your tv's at Costco, too. FYI.

We got a Panasonic 50" Plasma around 18 months ago. At first we thought it was too big, but it doesn't look very big anymore. If you are sitting more than 8 feet from the screen get a larger screen, even if you have to give up on 1080p. From what I've read you'd have to sit extremely close to a 40" set to tell the difference between 1080p resolution and 720p. So even if there was 1080p content available, you'd still be better of with a larger screen at lower resolution.

Another tip is to avoid checking picture quality under bright fluorescent lights. Try to evaluate picture quality in conditions that match your home environment.

Other stuff I learned -
Get an LCD if you'll use it with a gaming console or pc monitor.
Get an LCD if your viewing conditions are very bright.

Otherwise:
Consider Plasma if you want a higher viewing angle.
Consider Plasma if you want a larger screen per dollar spent.

From what I understand, you cannot fix a Plasma. And LCD is not only energy saving compared but fixable AND you see it better in a well lit room. All pluses...so I got the LCD on that info.

With all due respect, some of what you're getting here is TMI for most people. I have the exact same TV you bought, and it is fabulous. Yes, I know about torch mode etc. but you wouldn't want to watch it that way at home anyway, it will give you a headache! If you are coming from an old analog set to a 40" Sony Bravia LCD flat panel, as long as you do subscribe to HD* you will be blown away at how much better the picture is. Yes it's only 720p for now (probably for a few years unless you buy a bluray), but that is so much better than the old analog 480i or whatever it was...

* You really do want to get an HD subscription if you haven't. When I channel surf, I put the guide on HD only because I really won't watch "normal" channels any more if I can avoid it. You will be disappointed if you use a crummy old 480i signal with your new TV IMHO.

From what I understand, you cannot fix a Plasma. And LCD is not only energy saving compared but fixable AND you see it better in a well lit room. All pluses...so I got the LCD on that info.

That Sony should be very good (I almost got the 46"). I didn't know about the repair issue. The power consumption claim isn't true. These TVs are rated for their maximum power. LCDs use constant power (due to the backlight), while a Plasmas power consumption is variable and depends on the picture. From the tests that I've seen they are about the same.

I forgot about the power issue. Check your prospective tv's stats on the manufacturers web site to see what the power draw is or get a kill-a-watt and take it to the store and test them yourself. I tested all our tv's and the power draw was verrry unintuitive. My plasma pulled the most. A 32" lcd pulled an awful lot too. Our lcos set wasnt bad. The lowest watt use tv's were the two big honking rear projection crt sets.

Old analog tv was generally 240i by the way. Regular DVD's and some cable/sat digital stations were 480i or 480p.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom