Rambo IV

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
He's back! Bloodier, with the highest body count ever. Haven't seen it and wouldn't go out my way to, except a friend of mine has a part in it (actually - thought the original film wasn't half bad). He happens to be a very talented bluesman and wrote and performs a couple of songs for the film apparently. Here's his website if you're interested. It has some trailers and you can hear some of his music if you are into delta blues.

Jake La Botz

Fitting title to his movie. Maybe that IV is for the old mans saline drip.

Sly was pretty good in the last Rocky movie.
If you think about it; he and his movies have gotten slammed many times, but he has survived for quite some time.

It's hard to imagine how he could top his cinematic performances in the first three Rambo movies... and in the 462 Rocky movies...

yo - "live for nothin' or die for somethin'". come on now... you gotta love it right? :p

yo - "live for nothin' or die for somethin'". come on now... you gotta love it right? :p
Speaking as a submariner, trapped underwater for 90 days with Stallone films many times, I'm afraid that I'm required to go see this movie...

Gosh, I hope the theater has a sound system that can handle the explosions.

Stallone has now endorsed McCain, and Huckabee has made a big deal out of campaigning with Chuck Norris.

Does this tell you anything about democracy in this country?

I was shocked at how good the last Rocky movie was. Stallone has made a lot of really bad stuff, but the first Rocky and the first Rambo were very thoughtful movies. If he can pull off the same turnaround in this Rambo as he did with Rocky Balboa it will be fantastic.

"First Blood" (1982)
Total Body Count: 1
Kill Count Per Minute: 0.01
Torture Scenes: 2
Time of First Death In Film: 29min 31sec
Good Guys Killed: 0
Bad Guys Killed By Rambo: 0
Bad Guys Killed By Supporting Characters: 0

"Rambo: First Blood Part II" (1985)
Total Body Count: 69
Kill Count Per Minute: 0.72
Torture Scenes: 5
Time of First Death In Film: 33min 34sec
Good Guys Killed: 1
Bad Guys Killed By Rambo: 58
Bad Guys Killed By Supporting Characters: 10

"Rambo III" (1988 )
Total Body Count: 132
Kill Count Per Minute: 1.3
Torture Scenes: 7
Time of First Death In Film: 41min 9sec
Good Guys Killed: 37
Bad Guys Killed By Rambo: 78
Bad Guys Killed By Supporting Characters: 17

"Rambo" (2008 )
Total Body Count: 236
Kill Count Per Minute: 2.59
Torture Scenes: 3
Time of First Death In Film: 3min 22sec
Good Guys Killed: 113
Bad Guys Killed By Rambo: 83
Bad Guys Killed By Supporting Characters: 40
New "Rambo" Has Biggest Body Count
and other places

Reasons offered:
"inflation?"
"learning curve?"

ladelfina,
I think for the current Rambo you have to take into account that he has help. He is getting old of course.
So the Rambo justified killings might actually be lower.

I heard that Sly picked Burma to highlight the civil war going on that is not getting reported. Also, the Rambo philosophy is that peace is the unusual state as it difficult to obtain and takes years to put into effect but war can be started easily.

Rambutt IV

I can just see him, hunting the wicked and the mean, with knife, torn shirt, dripping sweat, through the corridors of the nursing home ... stalking nurses aides ... terrorizing janitorial staff ... setting booby traps and IED's in day rooms and the physical therapy rehab unit ... until, late at night (almost to 9:00 PM), when the staff manages to get him into the tub with a hydraulic lift, and then into the geriatric unit's bed.

Sigh! :bat:

Reasons offered:
"inflation?"
"learning curve?"
"Outsourcing"?

I was keeping up with the body count in Rambo III until the army swarmed into view. They must've had intel analysts doing frame-by-frame reviews or cheated with a copy of the script.

"Outsourcing"?

yes! ding ding ding! ;)

FWIW I am not 'pro-' or 'anti-'Rambo. I saw the first one and it was ok. I didn't feel the need to see any sequels or prequels.. but that can be said for basically all the other movie franchises for me, personally (Batman, Star Wars, etc.). I think I was just about the last person on the planet to find out or even care who Luke's father was.

I just thought it was an interesting metric of the amount of violence a movie seemingly "has" to have.. Rambo a good example because of the relatively consistent (one assumes) context and same star/protagonist. You could probably do similar studies over time on Clint Eastwood's "Dirty Harry" or the Charles Bronson/"Death Wish" character.. (except Eastwood as a lefty might have veered off of the kill ratio). Seagal, Norris.. I'd imagine most of 'em get deadlier to the point of ridiculousness if they didn't start out already ridiculous..

I really do like good action movies.. but the more sorta-realistic the better. I really loved The French Connection and also Ronin. They have to have a bit of rational motivation for me, and some substance. I adore that Jean Reno.. fantastic also in La Femme Nikita and The Professional. Overcome your fear of subtitles and enjoy...

ScooterGuy.. what a riot! thanks...

Last edited:
that Jean Reno.. fantastic also in La Femme Nikita and The Professional. Overcome your fear of subtitles and enjoy......

Also a big Reno fan - funny story regarding subtitles - we were on a bus in Mexico heading for Belize - bus had an on-board movie going, a strange and hard to follow 2000 Reno film called "the Crimson Rivers". The movie was playing in French, which i know a few words of, with spanish subtitles. I'd have been hard pressed to follow the film in english with the volume turned up and tivo to replay the confusing bits - it was real fun trying to make sense of the film with the few words i saw, heard, and understood!

Well, I've seen it. That's the best I can say about it.

I think the body-count reviewers had to exert max effort, even more than RIII, to glean their numbers from frame-by-frame inspection or the script. It's also hard to decide between "wounded, might make it" and "no hope".

However the ordnance and special-effects budgets seem to have set new all-time highs.

Although Rambo seems pretty handy, he never got behind the steering wheel. Maybe his license expired, but I can't remember any of the movies actually showing him driving a vehicle. I'm going to have to recheck my memory someday.

I am not a fan of Regal Entertainment's pre-movie distractions shifting from a slideshow to a video. It felt like watching TV commercials in a bar, only without the entertaining patrons or booze or cheap food. I can get as much of that as I want at home for free, and with less advertising. If all movie theaters go this way then I'm done with them.

The movie set new standards (high or low depends on your definition but either way it's definitely past six standard deviations from the center of the bell curve) for gore and gruesomeness, starting with actual film clips of the genocide being carried out by Burma's "leadership". The CGI pales in comparison to the reality.

Interesting that both Stallone and Chuck Norris are not very tall. Norris used to (have no idea now) live in Houston. Son and I shook hands and talked with him at a karate school opening. I'm only 5'4" and he wasn't very tall (5'8-1/2" according to his bio on the net, but I would say more like 5'7"). Nice down to earth type, tho. So much for the big bruisers making it as macho stars, eh?

The movie set new standards (high or low depends on your definition but either way it's definitely past six standard deviations from the center of the bell curve) for gore and gruesomeness, starting with actual film clips of the genocide being carried out by Burma's "leadership". The CGI pales in comparison to the reality.

I've read a lot of reviews on this movie - I use ROTTEN TOMATOES: Movies - New Movie Reviews and Previews! One aspect that interests me is that none of the reviews focus on Sly's attempt to bring some attention to the Burma genocide. I think it is because Sly is thought to be some sort of right winger. If he was preceived as a lefty the movie might have gotten better reviews. Maybe he should have set the movie Darfar. The media seems to favor those who highlight what is going on there.

I do think the ending leaves open the possibility of another Rambo set in Arizona. Maybe he will take on the evil government of Walmart and their attempt to open a store next to his farm and the people he is trying to save are from Green Peace.

Back
Top Bottom