RE: Colorado fire

FI_RElater

Recycles dryer sheets
RE: Colorado fire

I hope other posters don't have family or friends affected by yesterday's fire

The fire started at before noon yesterday, with mandatory evacuations called for in Superior/Louisville in only a couple of hours. With winds of 85-95 (and gusts in the nearby old Rocky Flats just south reading 115 mph) the fire spread, easily jumping the six plus lane US 36 between Boulder and the metro.

My Sister & BIL, living in the affected area, were hosting someone post-surgery that wasn't fully ambulatory and needed twenty minutes to get them ready and into the vehicle for evacuation... time that took away from gathering other items... but all were able to get out.

I had seen street-level fire maps of the area and had texted/called them; they couldn't get back to the house to get anything more and I had relayed the map info as I'd been very concerned. When they saw the news crews coverage in the morning, they knew that their house was gone ... the crew had shown the devastation and the video had shown that their entire street had been burned to the ground with not even outbuildings left...they could see where their house used to be (since confirmed).

Again, I hope others haven't been affected...

Last edited:
I hope other posters don't have family or friends affected by yesterday's fire

The fire started at one pm yesterday, with mandatory evacuations called for in Superior/Louisville in only a couple of hours. With winds of 85-95 (and gusts in the nearby old Rocky Flats just south reading 115 mph) the fire spread, easily jumping the six plus lane US 36 between Boulder and the metro.

My S & BIL, living in the affected area, were hosting someone post-surgery that wasn't fully ambulatory and needed twenty minutes to get them ready and into the vehicle for evacuation... time that took away from gathering other items... but all were able to get out.

I had seen street-level fire maps of the area and had texted/called them; they couldn't get back to the house to get anything more and I had relayed the map info as I'd been very concerned. When they saw the news crews coverage in the morning, they knew that their house was gone ... the crew had shown the devastation and the video had shown that their entire street had been burned to the ground with not even outbuildings left...they could see where their house used to be (since confirmed).

Again, I hope others haven't been affected...

what a nightmare...

we have been there and done that with colorado fires and that is as scary as it gets

hope everything turns out ok for you guys

Last edited:
I live about 30 miles north and watched the smoke from my deck. It didn't look good. After the property list came out, I reviewed to check an old friend of my wife's who was in the evacuation zone, and their house was spared. I also looked up a college acquaintance that I knew was somewhere around there but haven't seen in over 30 years. Found his address on the county property website, and then found it on the destroyed list. Almost 1,000 homes gone, just like that. Very said for all those affected. :(

so sorry for your family loss of home. The Colorado fires were devastating.

We were on the evacuation list in 2020 with the wildfires in the PNW, it was frightening how quickly they spread.

This is so sad. When I lived south of the Denver area in the early 2000's I was in a standby fire evacuation area once and that was nerve wracking enough. It was hurry up and wait to see what happens.

When I was still working a number of my co-workers were buying houses up in those areas. They have been on my mind a lot. I hope for the best for them.

This is a simple reminder to keep your home insurance up to date. Nobody likes rising premiums, but if the value of the house increases the coverage must keep up. Almost 1000 homes are gone in an afternoon, who knows what can happen.

My heart goes out to those caught up in this tragedy. Here is hoping for a rapid resolution.

Agreed on the home insurance comment above. I'm wondering how many owners are going to find themselves underinsured with the current construction costs that have skyrocketed. I cant imagine that 1000 families are going to be able to quickly find new places to live in one of the most inflated home markets in the country. What a nightmare for all.

Back
Top Bottom