real maple syrup taste test

Do you have any pictures? I can't imagine 6000 hoses connected to a vacuum tank - it would be like a spaghetti forest!

Sounds more efficient than my picture of a pipe with a bucket hanging from it (catching insects and bird poop - yuck!).

-ERD50
https://goo.gl/photos/XwTTb4gaWLAqGann6

The individual taps feed into larger lines which feed into other lines etc. There's maybe six main headers going to the tank. The main lines run into the collector tank and then drain to the bigger tank below it. When it fills a float opens and it dumps into a large collecting tank that it sits on. That large tank is then pumped up to tanks at the sugarhouse where they run it through an RO unit to get rid of a lot of the water and make it quicker to boil down. Don't know if the video will work for everyone but it shows the whole thing in action!

Last edited:
SteveNU, Thanks for posting that video. That is so cool!

I've never really liked it. If I eat pancakes or waffles, which is rare, I just like ample melted butter.

I grew up on fake, but nowadays it's real or nothing. I am fortunate to live in a region that makes maple syrup (not as much as Vermont or Canada) so I can get all I want. We like the dark stuff.

Back
Top Bottom