Refilling Printer Cartridges

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
A discussion on this is here... beginning with post #54....http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/how-accurately-did-you-predict-retirement-expenses-71271.html#post1434132

Sometimes we don't get around to viewing every post. In this case, since everyone here "likely" uses a printer, perhaps a discussion of the plusses and minuses of refilling is in order.

I finally gave up, when I found out that some brands would "run out"... not because there was no ink left, but that a built in "counter" SAID there was no ink left... and that there was no way to refill that cartridge. So after looking around, I found out that in some cases, you could buy a "cartridge resetter" that would be used to fool the cartridge into being new again. At one time, you could refill and use HP cartridges by putting a piece of sctoch tape over one or more of the contacts on that little brass strip in the cartridge.. and go through a three step process to reset, and save the $26.95.
There's a website that explains this, here:

http://www.inkpal.com/ink-news/how-to-reset-an-ink-cartridge-not-waste-printer-ink/

Now, I don't use my printer much any longer... so it doesn't mean much too me, but an $18.95 package of inks used to save me about $200 in replacement cartridges.

Anyone have an update on this?

Last edited:
At this point in my life I don't print/copy much, so I just but new cartridges (3 pack of B&W only online to save a few bucks) for my cheepie HP 3 in 1 printer. I do avoid color printing as much as possible (use gray scale), and also almost always select draft quality. I tried the refill thing once a few years ago. It was messy.

I have tried having cartridges refilled for my old HP printer. Sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't.

The current printer I have is a Canon all in one. Before purchasing I checked into the ink and found very inexpensive cartridges available with new chips. They have worked well for several years now. I usually buy the ink from Meritline when they have a sale. The printer really goes through ink, but at $2 or less per cartridge it isn't a big deal.

I doubt that I would try to refill ink cartridges myself. It seems like the potential for a big mess is high.

After many years of having our local CartridgeWorld store refill myladyfriend's inkjet cartridge for her Lexmark printer (usually exchanging the empty one for a used, refilled one), the printer began to reject the last cartridge as being "invalid." I then bought her a new cartridge but I am a little wary of going the refill route. The CartridgeWorld store I had been using for all those years went out of business so I had to go to a new one which made a mess when it refilled it (like the story pb4uski described). I may try a different CW store as there are several of them in the area.

I have used refilled, new and refilled cart myself. I finally went to a color laser printer. I don't do a lot of printing, in fact the original cart with the printer, which were light loaded, lasted almost three years. While I don't have any proof of this, it seemed that because I was not printing frequently the ink jet printers were always going through head cleaning. Which uses a lot of ink. Laser printers use dry powder so the problem goes away.

I have had HP, Epson, Lexmark, and Canon printers. Lexmark drank ink! Hp, at least some models, have the print head built into the cartridge. This makes them cost more, but the advantage is if you get some cheap ink and it clogs your carts when you replace them you have a new print head. Drawback is that the print head wears out and you can't refill them as many times. Most new printers have a chip installed to keep you from refilling your own.

I have an HP 8500a printer. The ink chip on the non OEM 940 (Office Depot brand) works, but the ink refill stops printing shortly after the "Non HP warning" msgs even though it was 50+% full. Also, OEM 940 ink will stop printing shortly after the exp date passes too. I try to buy only new, unexpired OEM ink. Here's some tips that I've found that work for refills on the 940 ink, get a syringe to remove any leftover ink in the old cartridge and inject it into another one. Also, to bypass the "out of ink" or "not genuine HP ink" msg, peel back the sticker and use a small blade to pop off the bottom of the casing and swap it to the refill cartridge so the printer will read as genuine and not out of ink. This printer, even using only b&w printing, uses so much yellow, that I have to replace yellow 2x more than the other colors.

I have an epson and have been buying non oem cartridges for a few years. it costs 10. for 3 color and two black. the cartridges have always worked well. would never buy anything else now.

When DW was finishing her BA degree I bought a Dell color laser printer to keep the cost per page down. She was printing a lot! Seven years later it is still working well. Toner cartridges I get at OfficeMax.

For photos I use an HP D7560 Photosmart that I got on sale because it was a recently discontinued model. Six inks and it works well, I just get the HP cartridges when they're on sale. A limitation is that the largest paper it will print on is 8x10. I'd like an Epson 3880 for photo printing but really can't justify that expense for the amount of printing I do.

Two words: Go Laser

I have a multi-functional laser printer/scanner/copier from Samsung. For refills, I buy non-manufacture toner cartridges to save money.

I have an old but working Epson printer. Looked all over for a place to refill cartridges, wasted lots of time. No one doing it anymore. Found a place on ebay that sold them dirt cheap (new, not refilled). Took a chance and ordered a pack of 3. They work great so far. Had them for a year, still on first one. Printed only about 30 pages so far, I guess. The cartridges were only about $5 each, including shipping !! YMMV.

Two words: Go Laser

I have a multi-functional laser printer/scanner/copier from Samsung. For refills, I buy non-manufacture toner cartridges to save money.
I have a Brother multifunction laser printer. It told me I was low on toner so I bought another cartridge. That was about 3 years ago. It is still working fine and still telling me I am low on toner. I think the new toner cartridge will last my lifetime and certainly the printer's lifetime.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom