Rehabbing a summer cabin built in 1972

I see it has been quite a while since I posted here. Thats cuz I haven't had any renovations! This summers big renovation was fixing leaky faucets. Hope it stays that way.

Interesting trivia: found out the cabin was built from construction leftovers off the nearby Snake River dams. The govt sold the wood at ten bux a truckload... Thus, its niw The Dam Cabin.

We did buy some ATVs. Been having a lot of fun with those. Here's a shot of the swimming hole on the nearby Gran Ronde.

Haze due to nearby forest fires. Theres about 200k acres on fire in the vicinity...

Attachments

• Snyder Bar.jpg
    Snyder Bar.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20210819_140818_1.jpg
    IMG_20210819_140818_1.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20210819_122657_3.jpg
    IMG_20210819_122657_3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Thank you for pointing me to this thread , Keim and also thank you ugeauxgirl and street for your pictures and stories.
keim, this is cool for me, as my mom grew up across the Blues in Halfway, Oregon. She and DW and I spent some time beating around the hills and the back road around to the east. When she was a wee lass it was gravel.

Keim, thanks for sharing all those great pictures!

Thank you for pointing me to this thread , Keim and also thank you ugeauxgirl and street for your pictures and stories.
keim, this is cool for me, as my mom grew up across the Blues in Halfway, Oregon. She and DW and I spent some time beating around the hills and the back road around to the east. When she was a wee lass it was gravel.

I was in nearby Baker last spring. Thats a few hours south of my cabin. Beautiful area.

Last time we went, I flew her and DW into Baker City airport, and rented a beater from the auto parts store and we ran up to Cornucopia, and then down to the dam and around the back to Enterprise and Wallowa Lake.
If you have not been there go to 'Copia and check it out. It was an old mining town high in the mountains. When mom was in high school they had a bustling town up there and she remembers going to games up there with the halfway team, circa 1937 or so.
It ghosted out pretty good, then gold prices went up in the 80's and another company cleaned up on the tailings there.
The other cool spot is the Oregon Trail Interpretive center.
https://www.blm.gov/learn/interpretive-centers/national-historic-oregon-trail-interpretive-center
There are wagon ruts in a few places in the valley from the original trail.

Saw the interp center. At least the outside stuff. Covid shutdown.

Cornucopia sounds like my kind of place. Will check out.

Back
Top Bottom