Repairing scratched glass

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looking for advice on how to repair or diminish a 5 inch scratch in the middle of the glass of our patio slider. It's not as pronounced as it appears in the picture. I took an angle to be able to spotlight it and then applied an edit to make it even more visible.
I think the movers scratched it when we moved in and I wonder if there is a simple way to make it less noticeable without screwing it up further. Thanks for any tips.

Attachments

• SCRATCH.jpg
    SCRATCH.jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 37
Are you sure it's actually scratched? As in, can you feel it with your fingernail? It can really be deceiving. I had a mark on my truck windshield that both me and the dealer thought was a scratch. He sent me to his glass guy who took about 10 seconds to scratch it off with his thumb nail. Note, that was after I lightly took a razer blade to it and totally convinced myself it was a scratch.

Try a little barkeepers friend on it. Similar to what pb4uski is suggesting - an abrasive that shouldn't make the glass worse. As they say on most labels - test in an inconspicuous area first :).

I just did a google search for "polish glass" and there appears to be several approaches. Keep us posted on what works as my Mastiff and Boxer have scratched my slider on both sides.:(

I'm thinking a windshield scratch repair kit might work. Uses a resin similar to what the "Safelight Repair" people use. Safelight did a nice job for us on a windshield that had a pebble strike (starlight crack).

I'm thinking a windshield scratch repair kit might work. Uses a resin similar to what the "Safelight Repair" people use. Safelight did a nice job for us on a windshield that had a pebble strike (starlight crack).

I have used this on my Jeep and it “mostly” cover its, but the kits expect you to have ding in a circle shape, so some improvising would be needed to create the masks over the resin in the shape of a line vs a circle.

How about finding some decorative sticker to place on the window to cover the scratch, like how they do for trying to prevent people from walking through glass windows/doors.

Have you tried polishing compound (used to remove scratches from car paint ) and an electric polisher or buffer?

Back
Top Bottom