Retire at 40

Eagle43

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
BBC - Capital - Yes, you can retire before your 40th birthday

A BBC article, which pretty much agrees with this forum. LBYM, be debt-free, have 25 times your expenses, 4% withdrawal. Wish this article had been available when I was 40. The BBC page has several other retirement links, such as "retiring in paradise" , or "retirement myths" if you're interested.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I would add, before taking the leap, develop a plan to keep mind and body moving.

Annoyingly, I can't access the article from the UK.
Is there any way of posting salient points or is that against forum policy?

Is there any way of posting salient points or is that against forum policy?

A paragraph or two is fine but where we run into difficulty is when someone copies and pastes an entire article. The issue isn't forum policy but copyright law.

Many thanks Walt. I thought that might be a problem. I guess it probably doesn't say much that I haven't worked out myself ;-)

The article was interesting, but there wasn't anything in it that people here don't already know. It references Pete at Mr. Money Mustache as well as Darrow Kirkpatrick at CanIRetireYet.com.

I thought this bit was interesting.

Don’t forget about family. If you have a spreadsheet of expected retirement expenses, make sure family expenses are included. “I remind people that grandchildren and children take a lot of retirees’ money,” Hogan said. “I have told clients, ‘You need to stop giving the kids money because you can’t afford it.’”

I retired at 40 and it only lasted 5 years. Did everything on the bucket list and then got bored and got another job. The extra money and another retirement check was a smart move. I probably was a little underfunded besides and you never have to much money.

Seems a little bit like over kill. It seems like you'd either have to spend your entire life living pretty low below your means or spend 30 years having no life outside of work. If you did the later, I'm not even sure what you'd do after retirement. Retiring before you need to honestly just sounds boring to me anyways though. But, it would be nice to make enough money to support working a job with lower income, but that's fun. I know a lot of older retired people become school teachers, just because they're bored and I completely understand that. To each his own I guess.

Back
Top Bottom