Retirement Shoes...

Young man, I'm too old for Velcro. :)

This spring I bought some sandals (slides) with Velcro on the strap that goes across the foot on top, providing a size adjustment. Somehow when I hit my foot on something it came undone on the left one - - that sandal rotated longitudinally under my foot, I lost my footing, and fell really hard on my hardwood flooring. It took 2-3 weeks to recover from the bruises and lacerations and soreness.

I was so scared to wear them after that, that I substituted similar sandals with no Velcro. :blush: These just slip on and off.

Wow, who knew that Velcro was so dangerous. I get my mom the Velcro sneakers, I think the same brand 8888 posted, in a nice white with pink trim.

After wearing boots daily for 22'ish years, I have sworn them off. Now wear Croc flip flops about 90% of the waking day.

Still working, but fortunately, I have not had to dress up regularly in couple of decades.

Bass (if i need to dress)
Sperrys (most days)
Tevas
Crocs
Day Hikers (cheapo but wide)
Hiking boots

I wear Chacos in warm weather and New Balance in cool weather.[emoji4]

Wear Columbia $20 flips down to 40 degrees if not walking distance. Otherwise wear Skechers relaxed fit for walking. Merrells too expensive & like to never go on sale. Same for Keens. They need to have less pride.

Some additional choices for plantar fasciitis:

Chung Shi (sandals)
Hoka One One

I wear cowboy boots or 10" lace up boots for working at the ranch. I buy cheap box store shoes for other activities. There is actually nice looking shoes at these stores and do me well. Bare foot and flip flops are by the door also.

I've got to stand with Blue Collar Guy here. It's hard to justify a name brand when I can destroy just about any footwear in a few weeks, regardless how much I paid for them.

As for style, I gave up on that long ago too. I started wearing velcro sneakers at w*rk because I changed footwear a lot. Sneakers generally, work boots when needed, even stocking feet when I could get away with it.

Now in retirement, I'm looking for some good (but inexpensive) summer footwear. Something like the sandals RobbieB posted on page 1. I don't want to wear socks, but I walk a lot, often in wet grass or over crushed stone, so it has to be something more substantial than flip-flops.

I'm open to suggestions that won't break the bank.

Back
Top Bottom