Christmas tradition?

folivier

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Who has a funny or goofy Christmas tradition?
Since I was a small kid my dad had these wool red checkered pants he always wore on Christmas. I inherited them and wore them each Christmas until my sons had kids and now one of them wears the Christmas pants for our get together. Here is a picture of my (now 15 year old) granddaughter wearing them:

Attachments

• Christmas pants.jpg
    Christmas pants.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 16
My dad and my grandmother (Mom's mom) exchanged the same tube of Scotch-flavored toothpaste every Christmas for about 20 years.

The night before Christmas when the creatures stopped stirring, I would put a large sheet or blanket covering the entrance to the living room, where the tree and presents were, with a sign "DO NOT ENTER UNTIL MOM OR DAD ARE HERE!" By 5:30 or 6 we would start getting knocks on our bedroom door and being asked "are you coming down soon?"

Once we came down, I would go inside and be ready with the video camera. When I was ready, DW would take down the sheet and they would come rushing in, depending on their age. And the present opening "mayhem" would commence, with video that. in later years they, found fun to watch.

It was nice to see, as they got older, instead of opening their own presents, they would first locate and pass out presents for someone else, and not open their own until everyone had their presents.

When my sis and I were a bit older, me, 11 and my sis was 8, my folks...maybe tiring of reveille at 0-dark-30, decided Chistmas Eve would now "Christmas". We'd have dinner and then mom would take us for a ride to see the neighborhood lights and decorations. By some miracle when we returned home Santa had come and gone and the feeding frenzy commenced.

Well, fun and delicious, but not goofy--every year I make my maternal Grandmothers "crumb pie" recipe (more like a coffee cake), as do most all of my female cousins.

Tree goes up on Christmas Eve and down after the Epiphany. My folks did it that way and my siblings and I continue that way today. That includes the train set underneath.

Dancing with Santa hats to loud music at midnight.

I make cookie/pastry that as far as I know only my mother and grandmother made.

Because it uses a yeast powered sugar free dough that rises overnight in the refrigerator it’s sort of like a hybrid between a cookie and a small pastry. The thing is loaded with nuts and chocolate and sprinkled with a bit of sugar. They are heaven to eat.

Not Christmas, but close. My father's family brought the tradition with them when they immigrated from northern Germany that it's essential to eat some pickled herring on New Year's Day (for good luck the following year).

I've been doing that since I was a kid, and have only missed one year in all that time.

Not Christmas, but close. My father's family brought the tradition with them when they immigrated from northern Germany that it's essential to eat some pickled herring on New Year's Day (for good luck the following year).

I've been doing that since I was a kid, and have only missed one year in all that time.
Better than luetefisk...

Who has a funny or goofy Christmas tradition?
Since I was a small kid my dad had these wool red checkered pants he always wore on Christmas. I inherited them and wore them each Christmas until my sons had kids and now one of them wears the Christmas pants for our get together. Here is a picture of my (now 15 year old) granddaughter wearing them:

Funny, DW bought me an outfit just like this. We go to DD tonight and I’ll be coming out with this outfit Xmas morn. Granted kids are 18,16,13 we’ll see if they laugh:dance:

We have two.

Bona Caulda!!! It’s a mixture of anchovies, garlic, olive oil heated up in an electric skillet and you dip vegetables or crusty bread in it. It’s an acquired taste obviously and it stinks up the house so I cook out on the back deck. Only Dad enjoyed and he made it every Christmas.

Second … and currently happening now … wife tries to make some extravagant recipe that she saw on Instagram and it usually fails (this year it’s baked Brie). I take care of the main (beef or poultry), potatoes and vegetables. So we are all good for Christmas dinner anyway.

Merry Christmas.

Luetefisk and lefse, I can't describe it.

My DH family is from Sweden. His Grandmother had this out one year early in our marriage. One teeny tiny taste is all I could handle.
But I did enjoy her Swedish baked goods and miss them to this day!

The one constant, decorating the tree with the kids. Baking cookies with Grandma. Getting out to see the lights and events in town.

Helping pops rearrange the house and furniture and bring stuff up and down from the "crawl space" to make way for Christmas time.

Lots of christmas music and movies. My 6 yr old daughter really got into A Christmas Story this year.

Used to do a movie theater night prior to any kids/grandkids.

Forgot one. Grandma always has kids over to make a Christmas craft. This years was Tree Ornaments.

Will attempt to get DW to watch with me on Christmas day the movie “Die Hard”, my favorite Christmas movie. It’ll be the 4th Christmas we watch it since buying it on Amazon streaming. She is not convinced it’s a Christmas movie. I also love Frank Capra’s “It’s a Wonderful Life” but too much old timey sentimentality for her.

Just myself and my wife. We'll have burgers tonite and microwave turkey slices tomorrow. Planning to watch Christmas Vacation tonight or tomorrow. I usually make oatmeal and biscuits on Christmas morning. Peaceful and quiet.

Will attempt to get DW to watch with me on Christmas day the movie “Die Hard”, my favorite Christmas movie. It’ll be the 4th Christmas we watch it since buying it on Amazon streaming. She is not convinced it’s a Christmas movie. I also love Frank Capra’s “It’s a Wonderful Life” but too much old timey sentimentality for her.

DD is coming over to spend Christmas Eve and watch a movie with DH and me tonight. Die Hard was the unanimous choice for us ( well . . .mostly me and DD but DH didn’t complain!)

My DH and I watch six Christmas DVD's every year; We start with "Die Hard". Then "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation." Next is "Home Alone, then" "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart.

Finally, Christmas Eve we watch " The Christmas Story" about the kid and his air rifle dreams, and on Christmas day we go out for a fabulous champaign buffet at a nearby resort. Then Christmas day eve we watch "Scrooge" with Albert Finney.

We look forward to this line-up all year,

This is the light show that is running on our house. About 3500 leds right now but next year we will have over 7000. All individually controllable via computer and sync'd to music we broadcast on FM.

Quite a few cars drive by...I think we are the only one in town doing this :D

To be nice to neighbors, we only run it from 5pm to 8pm.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBvkXxSRidlx2EtmwCd0XJ7mtKCHRw8A

We rewatch old Christmas movies like It’s a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, and Miracle on 34th Street. Our absolute favorites are Going My Way and The Bells of St. Mary’s.

We've done an Xmas fondue since the kids were old enough to be safe around hot oil. Steak, chicken, shrimp, and potatoes. It's a great way to make a meal last an hour or more vs. the typical Thanksgiving meal where you spend all day cooking for a meal that lasts 15 minutes.

Your light show is wonderful. Please post again next year with the additional lights too. This gets you into the holiday spirit.

Reading books like Peter Rabbit & The Polar Express together. Not goofy, just a tradition.

Back
Top Bottom