Rhode Island.. what do you know?

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My fishing boat owner buddy used to store his 18FT Parker at a boat yard in Rhode Island. Even with the ferry and the gas it was significantly cheaper then what he could find on Long Island. When the winter was nearly upon us he would ask me if I would care to go along for the ride.

We would take the ferry to New London and drive north to the boatyard. When we got to RI we would drive along the coast I would see some modest homes that had some of the most beautiful water views imaginable. I imagine in the Sumer the water breeze must be a joy. Bays and canals what Ill guess were estuaries just stunning. Then we would stop at a local restaurant and I’d have huge plate of fried clams - simply heaven. Thinking back a man with a Kayak and a spinning rod could have a lot of fun..

I was thinking of a recon mission maybe a Air B and B or VRBO. Can anyone recommend a nice town.

Maybe any experiences you’ve had.

My fishing boat owner buddy used to store his 18FT Parker at a boat yard in Rhode Island. Even with the ferry and the gas it was significantly cheaper then what he could find on Long Island. When the winter was nearly upon us he would ask me if I would care to go along for the ride.

We would take the ferry to New London and drive north to the boatyard. When we got to RI we would drive along the coast I would see some modest homes that had some of the most beautiful water views imaginable. I imagine in the Sumer the water breeze must be a joy. Bays and canals what Ill guess were estuaries just stunning. Then we would stop at a local restaurant and I’d have huge plate of fried clams - simply heaven. Thinking back a man with a Kayak and a spinning rod could have a lot of fun..

I was thinking of a recon mission maybe a Air B and B or VRBO. Can anyone recommend a nice town.

Maybe any experiences you’ve had.

Misquamicut beach (Westerly,RI) is low rent. Newport is high rent. Cousins went down to Misquamicut annually for over 20 years. A pretty low key place, not sure if it has been yuppified recently.

Newport is also pretty low rent for high society types, but not cheap by any means. If you aren't into worshipping people's last names it may not be a good fit.

Just for fun, a visit to Providence would be a good idea for you. They've cleaned things up in town and Brown University and other colleges like Bryant U. and Johnson & Wales make the downtown dynamic.

:)
I won't bore you with my love story with Rhode Island (since 1936) but directly to the question about affordable. Most of the coast is now expensive, and I can't speak to vacation lodging prices, but as rayinpenn points out, there are still some jewel areas that have ocean access, without the Newport prices.

My folk had a spot with waterfront and access to Narraganset Bay. Original cost was $3200 a long time ago, though I'm afraid to look at it in Zillow today. The location is in the non-ultra expensive part of Barrington RI. The body of water is the 100 Acre Cove. Similar house, just down the street, on Zillow... Waterfront views.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/75-Teed-Ave-Barrington-RI-02806/82693270_zpid/

Imagine my surprise when I looked and the home pictures, and found that picture #23 shows that the home was built by my father, in 1924. Never knew that and he never talked about it. :)

Fond memories of dozens of years of swimming, clamming and most of all boating all of the hundreds of rivers, inlets and bays of southern Rhode Island. Most of the exploring was via dad's 17ft. Thompson runabout... Fall River, Bristol, Newport, Jamestown, Warwick, Seekonk, and all the way from Kingston , up the Providence River, and all the way to... Yeah... Brown University.. (a bit hurtful for a Bowdoin man).

I had a Sunfish, that I used to sail down the Barrington River, to the Warren River, and out to Prudence Island. A definite challenge on a windy day. Made friends (back then) with some members of the Barrington Yacht club, and had a chance to sail in some races, in Thistles, Lightnings, Flying Dutchman and some dinghy sailing.

Rhode Island is a wonderful state, with historical sites that go back to the 1600's and a great diversity of people. My memories go back to the year when the population of the U.S. was less than half of what it is today... 1950's and up to the 1990's. According to relatives, not too much different from today. I think many native born New Englanders tend to stay close to home... more so than the "younger" states. The population of Pawtucket, (my hometown) has hardly changed in the past 80 years.

More memories?... The first Newport Jazz festival in 1954, which I watched from the top of a car, in the outside the fence parking lot... and the First Newport Tall Ships Race in 1973 (I think).

Rhode Island is only 37 miles wide and 48 miles long, but it has over 400 miles of shoreline... thus the name, "Ocean State".

IMHO... All of New England should be a must see travel destination. Two weeks of exploring from Maine to Connecticut.. a never to be forgotten experience.

:flowers:

Last edited:
:)
I won't bore you with my love story with Rhode Island (since 1936) but directly to the question about affordable. Most of the coast is now expensive, and I can't speak to vacation lodging prices, but as rayinpenn points out, there are still some jewel areas that have ocean access, without the Newport prices.

My folk had a spot with waterfront and access to Narraganset Bay. Original cost was $3200 a long time ago, though I'm afraid to look at it in Zillow today. The location is in the non-ultra expensive part of Barrington RI. The body of water is the 100 Acre Cove. Similar house, just down the street, on Zillow... Waterfront views.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/75-Teed-Ave-Barrington-RI-02806/82693270_zpid/

Imagine my surprise when I looked and the home pictures, and found that picture #23 shows that the home was built by my father, in 1924. Never knew that and he never talked about it. :)

Fond memories of dozens of years of swimming, clamming and most of all boating all of the hundreds of rivers, inlets and bays of southern Rhode Island. Most of the exploring was via dad's 17ft. Thompson runabout... Fall River, Bristol, Newport, Jamestown, Warwick, Seekonk, and all the way from Kingston , up the Providence River, and all the way to... Yeah... Brown University.. (a bit hurtful for a Bowdoin man).

I had a Sunfish, that I used to sail down the Barrington River, to the Warren River, and out to Prudence Island. A definite challenge on a windy day. Made friends (back then) with some members of the Barrington Yacht club, and had a chance to sail in some races, in Thistles, Lightnings, Flying Dutchman and some dinghy sailing.

Rhode Island is a wonderful state, with historical sites that go back to the 1600's and a great diversity of people. My memories go back to the year when the population of the U.S. was less than half of what it is today... 1950's and up to the 1990's. According to relatives, not too much different from today. I think many native born New Englanders tend to stay close to home... more so than the "younger" states. The population of Pawtucket, (my hometown) has hardly changed in the past 80 years.

More memories?... The first Newport Jazz festival in 1954, which I watched from the top of a car, in the outside the fence parking lot... and the First Newport Tall Ships Race in 1973 (I think).

Rhode Island is only 37 miles wide and 48 miles long, but it has over 400 miles of shoreline... thus the name, "Ocean State".

IMHO... All of New England should be a must see travel destination. Two weeks of exploring from Maine to Connecticut.. a never to be forgotten experience.

:flowers:

Nice memories, thanks for sharing. RI is now added to the retirement bucket list.
Plan to go to New England when the south is blazing hot in July-August.

My memories as a lad growing up in Connecticut are having a Rhode Island non-resident shell fishing license and clamming in the Ninigret Conservation Area inland salt ponds. Did that every summer for years.

Back
Top Bottom