Rhubarb is Ready

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been trying to give some hints about the beautiful spring rhubarb we have to my wife the last few weeks. Well, the hints paid off!! lol She said this morning if you would like to bring in some rhubarb I will make a few things this afternoon.
Well, I wasted no time and even did it the time I usually eat lunch. I cleaned and diced the barb and she is baking at this moment.
I really like rhubarb and we freeze some for wintah months and is so good. we like the tartness, and she uses way less sugar than called for.
Anyone else like rhubarb??

When I was a young boy, I remember having rhubarb pie. All I remember is that it was very sweet.

I have been trying to give some hints about the beautiful spring rhubarb we have to my wife the last few weeks. Well, the hints paid off!! lol She said this morning if you would like to bring in some rhubarb I will make a few things this afternoon.
Well, I wasted no time and even did it the time I usually eat lunch. I cleaned and diced the barb and she is baking at this moment.
I really like rhubarb and we freeze some for wintah months and is so good. we like the tartness, and she uses way less sugar than called for.
Anyone else like rhubarb??
If I say yes, will you ship me some? :)

The young wife has already made rhubarb sorbet twice this spring, and we've got plenty more coming!

Strawberry rhubarb pie for me, thanks. I used to make it a lot. A friend had tons of it growing in her yard.

We have one scrawny plant which survived in the overgrown mess which used to be my late neighbors' garden. The new owners don't live there and don't even know about it. So I'll harvest my paltry crop of a few stalks and make something.

Growing up here at the family homestead, we had a patch of rhubarb. Mom had no time because of the business but she still managed to make a few rhubarb pies each year. One of my best memories from my youth. I don't know what happened to the patch but I really miss it. Now, of course, I try not to eat any sugar which is essential to an edible rhubarb pie.

Growing up here at the family homestead, we had a patch of rhubarb. Mom had no time because of the business but she still managed to make a few rhubarb pies each year. One of my best memories from my youth. I don't know what happened to the patch but I really miss it. Now, of course, I try not to eat any sugar which is essential to an edible rhubarb pie.
You mean it's a sugar pie with some rhubarb in it!

Mentally, I cannot get past the major issue I have with rhubarb. Growing up, rhubarb grew around the side of my grandparents old outhouse. I could never get past that. So I don’t eat it. 🙄

We also cut the sugar from recipes. Strawberry rhubarb muffins, rhubarb cobbler, rhubarb upside down cake, strawberry rhubarb pies, goes with anything.

We irrigated the berries and the end of the row was the perfect place for rhubarb, and the overflow ditch was the perfect spot for asparagus. I have many fond memories of mom's rhubarb pie.
I was at my sister's yesterday and she has a nice bunch of it, and two short rows of raspberries in the city.

We also cut the sugar from recipes. Strawberry rhubarb muffins, rhubarb cobbler, rhubarb upside down cake, strawberry rhubarb pies, goes with anything.
Yes, we love the bread and cake. I asked wife and she said she uses less than half sugar what they call for. The cake is so good.
We irrigated the berries and the end of the row was the perfect place for rhubarb, and the overflow ditch was the perfect spot for asparagus. I have many fond memories of mom's rhubarb pie.
I was at my sister's yesterday and she has a nice bunch of it, and two short rows of raspberries in the city.
Awesome!! Once that asparagus gets going and established it is snip and eat. I have the hardest time to get it to get established. I have some wild patches along the crick I get my spears from.

The rhubarb is ready to eat over here as well and I’ll make a pie next week. I usually use half the recommended amount of sugar because i enjoy the tartness.

Our rhubarb patch is right next to a structure designed to look like an old outhouse but it’s actually a garden tool shed 😂

The rhubarb is ready to eat over here as well and I’ll make a pie next week. I usually use half the recommended amount of sugar because i enjoy the tartness.

Our rhubarb patch is right next to a structure designed to look like an old outhouse but it’s actually a garden tool shed 😂
We have two plants one each at the end of our garden. The two plants were dug up about 38 years ago from my wife's aunt garden. They still are a thriving and vigorous plant.

Grew up in South Dakota and always had rhubarb. We now live farther south in PA and growing rhubarb is harder - it likes hot days and cold nights. We have one plant that is robust, the two others that just don't produce much. Still make pie and jam.

Here in MN the first shoots of rhubarb finally indicate that winter is indded over. Early rhubarb is the best. In the stores the often sell past-prime large rhubarb stalks, that to me, don't taste as tart or good.

When we first moved here 34 years ago, there was rhubarb that my mom had planted. It came back every year. DH finally pulled it up. He does not like rhubarb and I did not make too many pies, so it went to waste every year.
My mom used to make strawberry rhubarb pie for my dad every year, and a rhubarb compote that we warmed and put on top of vanilla ice cream--that was delish!

Just finished eating a rhubarb "crisp" it's oats, butter, flour, and of course sugar. It grows great in western washington. The bulb can be divided and planted. Fun to grow because of the huge leaves.

Back
Top Bottom