RIP Larry King

Boho

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
He was hospitalized with Covid in December so that's probably related, but I didn't see a cause of death.

I feel partially responsible. I used to listen to him in the 80s late at night and I noticed he'd be a little out of it towards the end of his show. He wouldn't hear or understand what some of the callers were saying, or he couldn't form a good response. Then he had a heart attack and stopped doing late night radio. Decades later he said that he wasn't feeling up to it in the late night hours. If I had written to him and told him he sounded out of it, maybe he would have cut back his hours earlier. Maybe the station would have made him.

Anyway, I once called in and asked Isaac Asimov when we'll be able to see to the edge of the universe. He said something about seeing the past when you look far away. He never answered my question. I still want to know. I don't care about seeing 99.999whatever percent of the way back when there's still a gazillion miles left. I'm talking about the theoretical maximum.

He was hospitalized with Covid in December so that's probably related, but I didn't see a cause of death.

I feel partially responsible. I used to listen to him in the 80s late at night and I noticed he'd be a little out of it towards the end of his show. He wouldn't hear or understand what some of the callers were saying, or he couldn't form a good response. Then he had a heart attack and stopped doing late night radio. Decades later he said that he wasn't feeling up to it in the late night hours. If I had written to him and told him he sounded out of it, maybe he would have cut back his hours earlier. Maybe the station would have made him.

Anyway, I once called in and asked Isaac Asimov when we'll be able to see to the edge of the universe. He said something about seeing the past when you look far away. He never answered my question. I still want to know. I don't care about seeing 99.999whatever percent of the way back when there's still a gazillion miles left. I'm talking about the theoretical maximum.

I thought Larry King has been a quart of oil low for a long time too, but seemed like a decent guy, sorry to hear he has passed. Veering completely off the original purpose of the thread, but the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, so what you see is what you get and in a few trillion years will be even less. IIRC, it was initially a soup of quarks until things cooled enough for protons and neutrons to form, then was opaque to light until things cooled enough for electrons to settle in with protons and neutrons to make atoms and stars didn't form until things cooled enough for them to form. The earliest record is the slight maldistribution of matter on the largest scales, thought to be an imprint of initial quantum fluctuations, now blown up in size to hundreds of millions of light years across. I loved Isaac Asimov, but those things weren't in evidence in his day and of course new evidence could change the picture again.

Anyway, I once called in and asked Isaac Asimov when we'll be able to see to the edge of the universe.

Actually, that's an easy one to answer: never.

The universe is expanding in all directions.

Actually, that's an easy one to answer: never.

The universe is expanding in all directions.

I just think there may be a stage that we haven't seen yet that it's possible to see. I'm not trying to see the first photons traveling away from where earth would eventually be.

I had an office in Beverly Hills (one block off Rodeo) and saw Larry walking to lunch each day. This was 3 years ago and he could still walk the 2 miles with ease. He had some serious DW issues but got through it. I observed he was FAT Fire (but never stopped working). I admired him for keep on keeping on. He never seemed to go away. He was an original.

^ that is interesting. I think he smoked like a steam engine through the years. RIP

I had an office in Beverly Hills (one block off Rodeo) and saw Larry walking to lunch each day. This was 3 years ago and he could still walk the 2 miles with ease. He had some serious DW issues but got through it. I observed he was FAT Fire (but never stopped working). I admired him for keep on keeping on. He never seemed to go away. He was an original.

Probably had to keep working with all those ex wives.:D

Wow - another famous covid victim! So sad that he never made it out of the hospital.

Probably had to keep working with all those ex wives.:D
Married 8 times to 7 different women and still died with a NW over 50m... At 87 and 50+m I'll bet he didn't need to use FireCal.

Married 8 times to 7 different women and still died with a NW over 50m... At 87 and 50+m I'll bet he didn't need to use FireCal.

True, plus he was FI but not RE.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom