Romantic Relationships Post FIRE

I was married for 16 yrs but, my wife passed away awhile back from cancer. I had 3 children to take care of. For better or worse I had a bunch of married women in the town going after me.
One of them offered me $1M.

I admit that I was no catch. In any case I avoided all that and went with Match.com to find someone. I have been doing quite well since then.
I don't understand the $1M offer. Why?
Perhaps you could explain in more detail...

the offer was essentially to marry her. We got along quite well but, I was not ready to re-marry at the time.
She offered that she had $1M that I could have to use.

The problem with women with money is that they become suspicious that men are more interested in the money than the woman. Sadly, they are often right. Of course the same is true for men with money.

I have found that as long as both parties can be financially independent of each other, things can be worked out. It’s when one becomes dependent on the others for the basics of life, that the power issue raises its ugly head.

If the wealthier person does not mind paying the upgrade to both people for a first class flight, or a nicer room at the resort. That is usually just a nice thing to do for one’s partner.

the offer was essentially to marry her. We got along quite well but, I was not ready to re-marry at the time.
She offered that she had $1M that I could have to use.

But she was already married to someone else when this happened? You had said a bunch of MARRIED women in town were chasing you? :D

No, the woman I was seeing was a widow with 2 children. The married women I avoided since I didn't need any drama in my life.

In my town the 65 and above crowd has an ample supply of women. Yet not a one has offered me as much as 2¢ to marry her.

The fact is that few single women in my age group want to get married again. They want all the benefits but not the legal ties. Sounds like they should hook-up with young men in the 20-35 age range. 😁

In my town the 65 and above crowd has an ample supply of women. Yet not a one has offered me as much as 2¢ to marry her.

The fact is that few single women in my age group want to get married again. They want all the benefits but not the legal ties. Sounds like they should hook-up with young men in the 20-35 age range. 😁
You ought to see what's available in my age group! (80). Of course, I am no prize either, but everything still works pretty well in my body. :2funny:

The problem with women with money is that they become suspicious that men are more interested in the money than the woman. Sadly, they are often right. Of course the same is true for men with money.
My uncle finally found a match after a long life as a bachelor (after a very short marriage when he was very young).

I was talking to her one day about how they met and she mentioned that all of the men she was meeting before him "were looking for a nurse or a purse" and she wanted someone who didn't need or want either. My uncle fit the bill quite well.

She's perfect for him.

You ought to see what's available in my age group! (80). Of course, I am no prize either, but everything still works pretty well in my body. :2funny:
I remember a comment about Jr. High students: They're still children but now all their parts work.

So think of yourself as being another Jr. High guy.

That’s been my observation. Unless you’re religious, I don’t see the benefit. I am baffled as to why anyone who doesn’t need financial support or isn’t religious would do that. It can complicate so many things such as inheritance, feeling obligated to taking care of an ailing spouse, etc. I’ve had a few friends tell me their elderly dad remarried and the wife’s family took everything with nothing going to his children. The purpose of marriage for me was to build a family and financial security. If I were divorced or widowed under no circumstances would I ever get married. I do not need the financial support of anyone. Well maybe if a gazillionaire paid me to marry him but then again they’re looking for 25 year olds.

Back
Top Bottom