Roth rules

I'm not a very good rule-follower, so DON'T do what I'd do, LOL! But what I'd do is calculate the basis, and use the entire basis on this year's 8606. The years that you paid tax on 100% of what you pulled out, the basis wouldn't have changed, so the basis hasn't been reduced. You're not "trying to get away with something", you're simply trying to access money that you've already paid tax on. You might consider finding a tax attorney for an hour and get that one question answered, and maybe they'd word a letter for you that explains that the basis reported on this year's 8606 is the entire basis because in previous years' withdrawals tax was paid on 100% of the proceeds.

I'm not a very good rule-follower, so DON'T do what I'd do, LOL! But what I'd do is calculate the basis, and use the entire basis on this year's 8606. The years that you paid tax on 100% of what you pulled out, the basis wouldn't have changed, so the basis hasn't been reduced. You're not "trying to get away with something", you're simply trying to access money that you've already paid tax on. You might consider finding a tax attorney for an hour and get that one question answered, and maybe they'd word a letter for you that explains that the basis reported on this year's 8606 is the entire basis because in previous years' withdrawals tax was paid on 100% of the proceeds.

This sounds reasonable to me if the OP has proof of his tIRA basis (e.g. record of after-tax contributions). Even without withdrawals or conversions if after-tax contributions are made there should be an 8606 each year to track the increasing basis during the accumulation phase.

Back
Top Bottom