RV/truck camper

Get a small Travel Trailer - There are alot out there from 17' and up.

Dex,
You are probably on target.
The sad thing about your suggestion is, I had one under my shed a few years back. That I let a nephew talk me out of. Never should have sold/basically gave it a way. But, after I got the 5th wheel I thought I had it all going my way. The little 18 footer was My first travel trailer. We graduated from tents to pop ups to trailers, don't you know:LOL:. The wife and I had some really good times and went everywhere in that (small Trailer) thingy. We thought we needed more space, when the kids and their friends started tagging along. Oh well, life has its circles you know.
Steve
PS. The good news is my nephew and his young children are having a blast camping, hunting and fishing with their trailer now. They may never have had the opportunity to do so if I didn't pass it on to them. So, all in all, everything worked out for the good.

I appreciate your input. You went to great lengths to express it.
Now if you will?
What if you already had a 1 ton dually truck in perfect shape, more or less.
Your children were graduating from college within a year or two and probably about to move out on their own. Just you and the wife retired wanting to travel a little lighter than a big rig.
What are your thoughts from that perspective.
By the way love the fishing pictures and trout,all that, beautiful.
But your true thoughts needed no matter what. :cool:
Steve

when you put it like that, it is tempting, but so small of a space. if it was for weekend jaunts, maybe, but for anything long term I don't think i could do it.

I am truly interested in any and all thoughts and experiences.
I don't think I've ever been inside a slid in truck camper. I know I have never driven one. Of course, I will do all the above before any kind of purchase, that's for sure.
But there's nothing like the knowledge and experience of a group of people like you all.
Thanks,
Steve

PS. We are not into climbing per say, but I love repelling. A heck of a lot easier going down the cliff :LOL:. No kind of heavy back woods camping either, can't see the wife getting into that. Not at our stage in life, anyway. We are just laid back and enjoy travel and site seeing. Maybe some scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, shopping, eating at nice restaurants, mild spelunking and medium to short trails/hiking.

I am truly interested in any and all thoughts and experiences..........
I don't think I've ever been inside a slid in truck camper..

Sounds like maybe you need to decide what you want to do with the camper. A slide-in certainly won't replace a $half million Class A for space and luxury or a pop-up for low cost. But they have their uses and can't be beat for certain applications. What were you planning to do with it?

Steve, we are also looking and trying to decide between all the options. I guess you really need to consider how you will use it. For example, we want to travel across the country from time to time taking in the sights and making side trips or day trips from an RV park base. We also enjoy the outdoors, going to the lake, hiking, etc, that state parks provide. The state parks we have been to in the past few years would take up to perhaps a 25-30 foot vehicle...if you had enough space to back it in. Most of the folks we see in those places are in tents, but some have trailers like Dex was referring to, in the 17-22-24 foot range, i.e., small enough to actually maneuver around and park. No big 30+ foot class As or 5ers.

So, we have been looking at the possibility of a truck camper as well. I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L, 10,000 pound towing capacity truck. It would only take the smallest of slide-in campers. That would leave us with undersized tanks for what we want to do (5 days/4 nights at a time in a state park).

So, we are now actually considering a small trailer, 17 foot rPod or perhaps something like Brewer's rig for the nearer to home state park outings, and a larger rig, perhaps a large class C, a small class A, or maybe even a larger trailer for the 3-4 week excursions. I know this isn't for everyone, but if you have the 5er and the truck to tow it, you could keep that for the longer cross country journeys, and perhaps get a medium to large Lance or something like a 17 foot trailer for the places that are nearer and/or more difficult to negotiate with the 5er.

Just for your info, here is a link to the Lance website I was looking at a couple nights ago. There is a video in there you should watch, with examples of some folks who travel with their truck campers. Let us know what you decide, and eventually how you like it.

R

Loops...forgot the link and I can't scroll on the iPad...

Here it is,

Travel Trailer, Truck Camper, RV manufacturer - Lance Camper

R

The trips and interest you have shared basically describe us to the Tee.
I'm not sure I would let the size of tanks discourage me on a camper. Every park I've visited has an easy place to dump those. You can even buy portable tanks on wheels to cart around in the camp grounds if necessary. I've never used them but noticed people taking care of (probably grey water) business that way. When staying 2 weeks or more I've had to hook my 18 foot TT (no longer own it) to the bumper, go to the dump site and then re-park it at our camp site. Not a big deal with a small camper. We were able to leave most things out and in place for the very slow & short trip to the dumping station and back.
Will check the linked site out.
Thanks,
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom