Scared, then angry...

During the last bits of those months I got a glimpse of "the man behind the curtain" and had to learn to ask questions much more diligently.

With medicine as with money, I feel no one will watch out for our interests as well as we do. We are our own first line of defense.

I have lost a lot of trust in those whom I trusted before.
+1. We ask more questions too, though we do our research first in an effort to not waste a doctors time with meandering questions. However, we find a lot of doctors are almost immediately put off even offended by any questions. But I'm hard to intimidate so I insist on answers to my (hopefully) concise questions. Another reason to ask only a limited number of good questions, obviously an irritated doctor might not provide the best care.

It's a balance. But after several conflicting diagnosis for DW on some serious but not life threatening conditions (and paying for all of them, good and bad), we also 'watch out for our interests.'

We don't have the same blind trust in doctors any more either, which can be "interesting" with a father who's a retired orthopedic surgeon...

IMHO, if the subsequent tests were only required to debunk the faulty diagnosis or only administered because of the faulty diagnosis, I'd work with you insurance company and the billing department to get those adjusted or eliminated. You do in fact owe them money, but you have recourse. You can dispute the bill and sate your reasons. Worse that can happen is you are told no.
How do you make this work? Whenever we've asked about any discount for conflicting diagnosis, the insurance companies haven't been interested, they act like it's a waste of time...

The delay and waste of time is posturing. There is a risk that subsequent diagnosis changes will cost more in the long run. They are in business primarily to make money by providing the belief of service so as to continue adding sales. There is a breakpoint where being too stingy on payouts has a backlash and reduces additional sales. It is financially more profitable to not provide any service but that isn't sustainable so it is a constant war within a given organization as to what they will or will not do. Then there are the actual rules which these days have no teeth. The best thing to do is to be knowledgeable about potential medical conditions, be fully aware of your family history and know your own personal normal values. Then ask questions and don't be put off by improper answers. Physician are limited to 15 minutes per patient but don't put up with that. It is tough on them and pushes the schedule behind and they are loathe to do it as they want to go home more or less on time as well but it is a patient's right to get straight answers. If you don't then vote with your feet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom