Scott Burns and the Life of Riley index

Yes I have, but if lobster seems like too much work, you arent doin' it right! I can extract the three main pieces of meat in about 2 minutes. The body meat takes time but then I usually take a bunch of the lobster bodies and simmer them to make lobster stock before I turn that into a nice seafood bisque with shrimp, crab, scallops and the tidbits of body meat I can sneak out of there while I'm fiddling with the soup...

Brought a lobster back from
Boston once - threw it in the seafood boil along with the crawfish - it was good but too big to suck the fat out of head.

I would starve on crawfish - can't peel and eat'em as fast as the'locals'. I tend to get fried crawfish plates from the local takeouts. Never have seen 'fried lobster' though!

Deep fried lobster tails can be had along the new england coastline at many "clam shacks". Smaller tails are shelled, lightly battered and then deep fried. Pretty tasty.

Did Riley really have it so good?

Chester A. Riley lived at 1313 Blueview Terrace in a 3 bedroom one bath Levett Town home amongst thousands of others just like it just off the L.A freeway. His two teenaged kids were rarely around.
He worked long hours at the airplane plant riveting sheet metal on fuselages. Each morning with his lunch pail in hand, Riley rode to work with his next door neighbor Giles. His side entrance doorway within six feet of that annoying neighbor Giles and his ditzy blonde wife Honeybee.
Things never went his way. Almost without fail he would say "What a revolting development this is !" at least once during each show.
Alas, things got even worse as he "William Bendix", was replaced on America's T.V. by a bus driver in Brooklyn who lived downstairs from an obnoxious sewer worker....

:D

As for seafood - In Riley's day, :mad: seafood was a poor man's meal. Shrimp, stripped bass, flounder, sole, oysters and such were cheaper than hamburger.

Now we are encouraged to eat "popcorn shrimp" which in those days were called bait.

"What a revolting development this is!"

:mad:

Re:  I thought it was the 19th-century song...

From http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-ril1.htm :

There are several explanations for this phrase, all of them centering on popular music.

William and Mary Morris point to a comic song written by the vaudevillian Pat Rooney in 1890 in which the hero of the song, a hotel-keeper named Reilly (or Riley), describes what he will do when he strikes it rich: New York “will swim in wine when the White House and Capitol are mine”. A version made famous by burlesque performers Ned Harrigan and Tony Hart has these lines in the chorus:
Well, if that's Mr. Riley
They speak of so highly.
Why, faith, Mr Riley,
You're looking quite well.

It was revived and updated in 1915 as a patriotic war song under the title Are you the O’Reilly? as an attempt to cash in on the success of It’s a Long, Long Way to Tipperary, and contained the chorus line “Gor blim me, O’Reilly, you are looking well”.

H L Mencken suggested as an alternative possible source The Best in the House is None Too Good for Reilly, which was written by Lawlor and Black at about the same period as Pat Rooney’s song.

On this side of the Atlantic, it is firmly believed that the song is of Anglo-Irish origins, and that the popularity of the phrase dates from a music-hall song My Name is Kelly written by Pease in 1919, which has the line “Faith and my name is Kelly, Michael Kelly, But I’m living the life of Reilly just the same”. Pease is here using a phrase which he obviously expected his audience to recognise, but we have no earlier recorded use.

Eric Partridge also thought the phrase is British and that it was taken up in America only in the 1930s, which would make the various US songs irrelevant as sources.

But we just don’t know the truth of the matter. The spelling of the name is as variable as that of the Irish surname itself, but Riley now seems to be preferred.

Man, Ol_Rancher; you are dating yourself. Me too!

That sewer worker was "Norton", which makes me think
of motorcycles, which makes me think of "One of these
days Alice, Pow!!! Right in the kisser!", which makes me think of "You're the greatest Alice!" Youngsters don't
know what the hell I'm talking about. No matter.
Neither does my wife. She is younger than I am, just like almost everyone else.

John Galt

As for seafood - In Riley's day, :mad: seafood was a poor man's meal. Shrimp, stripped bass, flounder, sole, oysters and such were cheaper than hamburger.

Now we are encouraged to eat "popcorn shrimp" which in those days were called bait.

"What a revolting development this is!"

:mad:

Indeed...way back when the colony was not long ashore, and after a particularly bad harvest, the governor of MA apologized to the colonists because they would have to eat a lot of lobster through the winter.

In Maine, some people still call lobster stew "Poor mans soup".

A group of monks in (I believe) Virginia quite some time ago used to consume only scallops as a penance.

I'm looking forward to a bad harvest, becoming poor, and needing to do penance... ;)

Warning eaters of scallops ... :eek:

Some seafood restaurants both large and small sell either 'bay scallops" and/or "sea scallops". Look carefully at the menu.

One is the shell fish we think of and desire as a real seafood treat. The other is the wing of stingray having been punched out into fat little scallop-like cylinders (the bay scallops) using a sharp cookie cutter like tool.

Look closely at the scallops on your 'Mariner Platter' ... if the scallops are too uniform in shape you can infer they are "bay scallops" and if they are a bit too 'chewy' you can just about confirm them as such.

Another example of being served bait !

p.s. As a youth I lived on the Chesapeake Bay and know of what I speak.

pps Also a lot of white fish being served as sole, haddock, and such is really shark fin. And don't even get me started on what much of the crab meat you are served really is ...

Bon appatit

Ask someone raised 'street wise' in Brooklyn what a Coney Island white fish is. ...

or message me privately ;)

There was a bit in the original Peter Benchley's Jaws where the oceanographer character eats in the local restaurant and ponders whether the 'scallops' will actually be scallops or flounder cut with a cookie cutter. After ordering and taking his first bite he mutters "flounder...".

Coney Island Whitefish?

Lyrics in an Aerosmith song.

We cant say "Condom" here? Dory?

Spouse and I were talking about the original 'JAWS'
last night and how the sequels were poor. My fav.
scene in the movie takes place on the ORCA with Richard
Dreyfus comparing his scars with Robert Shaw. He points at his chest and says "I have the creme de la creme. Mary Ellen Moffett; she broke my heart!"

John Galt

I can remember jaws. I went to the theater to see it and they would ring a bell when the "bad" parts would start so those who did not want to see it could leave then ring the bell for the all clear :p

The book was far better than the movie.

I've usually found that watching a movie after reading the book was more satisfying. You have more depth on what is going on, the subtle nuances you can put into 400 pages that cant fit into 90 minutes.

In some cases, its essential. I remember watching the first two "lord of the rings" movies and thinking that if I hadnt read the books when I was a kid, I'd have no idea what the heck was going on most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom