Scott Burns doesn't want us to retire!

My guess is that if "makeitwork" really is a millionaire, he was one of those extremely rare and lucky individuals who did win a lottery.

IMO, lotteries are about the worst form of social/economic policy around, because (1) they take money mostly from lower income people and then (2) transfer it in a way that gives a very few people much more than they need for happiness, or that they can handle wisely to their benefit and that of the overall economy. A third item is that they are somewhat fraudulent, in that the advertised jackpots are paid over decades with no interest.

At least there should be a reasonable cap on the amount paid to any one winner, such as $3 million that would allow them to retire comfortably if they chose. I know that studies have been done that show that purchases of lottery tickets are encouraged by extremely large jackpots, but, hey, these lotteries are government enterprises that are supposed to be socially beneficial. Capping the jackpots would allow a lot more people to be winners.

I periodically have the opportunity to vote on lotteries and gambling legalization issues and almost always abstain. The economist in me recognizes that they are basically a tax on poor fools, but the libertarian in me says that adults should have the right to spend their money as they wish.

I worked arouind lower class people a lot in public health. It is my opinion that lottery tickets are about the least harmful thing that many of these folks could find to spend their money on. Tickets are not available with food stamps- you have to have cash. And that cash is often destined for even less socially or personally useful applications.

Say one of these guys wins a big pot. At the absolute worst, he has a ball for a few years. I am not enough of a Puritan that I don't appreciate that.

I don't particularly enjoy frugality; it is idleness that I find attractive. If my SWR would fund it, I'd be wearing Armani and living in a penthouse overlooking the Golden Gate. Alas, short of a big Powerball win, that isn't going to happen to me. So I can skip one Starbucks a week, and buy myself a ticket. Or I could become a Hindu and start start hoping for my next lifetime. It might be a tough choice except one of the things I want to do with my penthouse is throw barbecues for my friends on my balcony.

Mikey

Back
Top Bottom