Second Bivalent Booster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does it matter if its free or not?[emoji23] In my mind (which means nothing to anyone but me) we are getting so many mutations at this point that the vaccines isn't really as effective as it was back in the beginning. Right now DH and I think at some point our own immune systems need to figure out how to deal with Covid. And like you I don't presume to tell anyone what to do.
This just out.

https://time.com/6246525/bivalent-booster-not-very-effective-paul-offit/

Data Doesn’t Support New COVID-19 Booster Shots for Most, Says Vaccine Expert

We have had every one that was available to us. Plus, a flu jab at the same time as the bivalent. No reaction to any of them.

Gearhead Jim, your Spring of 2022 couldn't have been a bivalent since it wasn't out yet and almost certainly was the original version. Therefore, if that was indeed your last shot, then you never had the bivalent formulated shot and should be get it anytime, at your convenience.

Maybe you misspoke and you got the second booster in spring of 2022 and the new bivalent booster in the fall of 2022(?). This would be the more common scenario for folks getting boosted as shots become available.,

Gearhead Jim, your Spring of 2022 couldn't have been a bivalent since it wasn't out yet and almost certainly was the original version. Therefore, if that was indeed your last shot, then you never had the bivalent formulated shot and should be get it anytime, at your convenience.

Maybe you misspoke and you got the second booster in spring of 2022 and the new bivalent booster in the fall of 2022(?). This would be the more common scenario for folks getting boosted as shots become available.,

Don't they put all that info on the vaccine card...

I just meant all the more reason to get it, it doesn't cost us anything...

I just remembered in the beginning our state actually paid some people to take it. ..but the free part doesn't really factor for me

We got the original two shots of Pfizer in April 2021 and then the bivalent booster in December 2022. We never contracted COVID and travelled all over since our first vaccination. We even attended large weddings. I wonder if the lack of infection has something to do with using Colgate Peroxyl Hydrogen Peroxide mouthwash everyday.

I get every shot as they become available. I did not have any reaction. While I was at it I got the flu and dpt shot. I hate getting sick, even a little bit.
Any shot that I can get I take it.

Now that I have had Covid does that mean I don't need another booster? I would think I could wait a year from now at least.

Now that I have had Covid does that mean I don't need another booster? I would think I could wait a year from now at least.

Getting covid offers no better protection than a shot, so you could consider it like a shot, except it carries the risk of long covid. You are good for about 6 months since you caught covid.

So I prefer the shot than to run the risk of just catching covid and recovering, as I don't want the long covid complications.

So I prefer the shot than to run the risk of just catching covid and recovering, as I don't want the long covid complications.
Definitely - don't want long COVID. I already have one of those symptoms despite never knowingly having had COVID, which has been hell.

This just out.

https://time.com/6246525/bivalent-booster-not-very-effective-paul-offit/

Data Doesn’t Support New COVID-19 Booster Shots for Most, Says Vaccine Expert
From that article:
Now that there’s evidence showing that the bivalent booster isn’t necessarily more effective, the question becomes who should be getting it and why. The bivalent booster is still important for people at highest risk of getting severely ill, such as the elderly and immunocompromised, whose immune systems may not produce as strong of an immune response—even the small increase in additional antibodies could be important for them.
I think many if not most of us on this forum fall into the bolded category and so may benefit from repeated boosters. YMMV.

Maybe you misspoke and you got the second booster in spring of 2022 and the new bivalent booster in the fall of 2022(?). This would be the more common scenario for folks getting boosted as shots become available.

Exactly correct, thanks. So we are now only 4 months since our most recent shot, with a total of 5 shots each. But this is still a worthwhile discussion about getting another bivalent booster in a few months. Or not.

MY original post has been corrected and additional information added,

Don't they put all that info on the vaccine card...

Yes, but in our case sometimes incorrect and other times illegible on the card. The records at our medical group (we don't get the shots there) show me as getting 2 shots on 09-06-2022, one Moderna and one Pfizer...

Last edited:
Gearhead Jim it sounds like your 50th was last spring. Congratulations.

Sorry, but that makes you near, or above, the elderly, elderly cutoff which has been quoted at 75 years of age. At that age, even the Paul Offit (referenced above) recommends booster shots going forward.

Like others here - I'll probably wait till they announce it's time for another jab.

I had the first shot and booster... held off on a second booster because I was hoping for a bivalent that didn't come till fall. In the meantime caught covid last July despite masking and being careful. (Still no clue about how I got it - wasn't indoors unmasked around people outside my pod of my family). DH and younger son did not get it when I did, despite being in the same house and similar vax history. Got the flu and bivalent in October. As did DH. Wore masks when indoors on our trip to Peru/Ecuador. DH came home and tested positive. (As did 3 other people on the tour - out of 13 people). I guess my July covid kept me immune from the early Nov covid. I still wear a mask at the grocery store and other indoor locations.

I will totally take another shot when it's called for. But my health system (Kaiser Permanente) won't do anything outside of CDC guidelines.

DW and I have gotten all Covid and flu vaccines we are eligible for as soon as we could.
We got the bivalent booster in September. We are traveling with friends to Antarctica in a couple of weeks so all of us traveling got a second bivalent booster hoping that it will somewhat raise the odds of getting through the travel without disruption. Normally we would wait for CDC guidance but with Covid positives spiking and a requirement to test negative before boarding our ship we elected to take the chance that a second booster will toss in a brief period of somewhat higher protection.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...one aged 5 years,months since their last dose.

Go down the page a little to find "Find Out When You Can Get Your Booster". I answered the questions and it told me that I needed another booster, since it has been more than 2 months since my last booster. "You (or your child) should get one updated (bivalent) booster using Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna."

One of my boosters was a bivalent booster so maybe it is saying I am up to date.

DW and I have gotten all Covid and flu vaccines we are eligible for as soon as we could.
We got the bivalent booster in September. We are traveling with friends to Antarctica in a couple of weeks so all of us traveling got a second bivalent booster hoping that it will somewhat raise the odds of getting through the travel without disruption. Normally we would wait for CDC guidance but with Covid positives spiking and a requirement to test negative before boarding our ship we elected to take the chance that a second booster will toss in a brief period of somewhat higher protection.

Where can you get the second bivalent booster? Not that I want one at this time. I got mine from CVS and they wrote it down on my vaccine card. I doubt they will give me a second.

Where can you get the second bivalent booster? Not that I want one at this time. I got mine from CVS and they wrote it down on my vaccine card. I doubt they will give me a second.

They will after it's been long enough.
But I'm not sure how many months "long enough" is...

As far as I know no one is currently eligible for a second bivalent booster. But the couple traveling with us from Virginia just signed up for a vaccine on the CVS site and went in an got it. Their vaccine cards showed they already had one but the technician didn't notice. I suspect pharmacy personnel get confused since some people got a second regular booster before the bivalent booster came out - e.g. immunocompromised. The CDC guidance on the bivalent booster says those folks (and anyone else on the tail end of the monovalent booster) could get a bivalent booster 2.5 months after their last (monovalent) booster. I assume CVS, Safeway and others program their scheduling software to make sure people who register are at least 2.5 moths out from their last booster and then it is up to the technician to deal with technicalities.

My case is a little more complicated. When I got my first bivalent booster my old card was full so the facility gave me a new card with the booster info. When I went to Safeway for my second booster I just presented the old card. They added their booster info on the back of that card. Out of curiosity I asked the Safeway technician if I would be able to get another bivalent booster in early June before I travel to Italy. He said I could not get one unless CDC changes its guidance on the current booster or releases a new vaccine.

The bottom line is second bivalent boosters are not approved but lots of people are getting them.

Does" natural immunity", you had Covid, last longer than vaccination:confused:

Had original 2 moderna shots. Caught first Omicron virus, Dec. 2021.
Felt like mild Cold. No big deal. No boosters since. Still "Covid" free.

Strange, Relatives and Friends who are fully "boosted" have caught Covid.
Nothing serious. Cold like symptoms.:)

Getting covid offers no better protection than a shot, so you could consider it like a shot, except it carries the risk of long covid. You are good for about 6 months since you caught covid.

:) Curious, can you provide where you found that interesting piece of information.

"Getting covid offers no better protection than a shot". :greetings10:

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom