Seeing a doctor in Belgium or Amsterdam

vafoodie

Recycles dryer sheets
Traveling in Belgium, Germany, and Amsterdam for 14 days. Because of a packing mishap, I don’t have my medicine. How much is it going to cost me roughly in time and money to see a doctor here and get a prescription? It’s not a matter of life or death, (an anti depressant I forget to take half the time), so I’m not sure it’s worth it.

duplicate

Last edited:
Are you certain that you need a prescription?

You might want to check with a pharmacist in one of those countries first.

Some countries have different regs, other countries allow pharmacists to prescribe certain types of drugs.

We visited a pharmacy in Portugal for an ailment. The pharmacist sold us product that would otherwise required an Rx in Canada. Similar experience in Brazil and in Malaysia.

I ran out of my beta blocker in Amsterdam when Megacorp wouldn't let me go home. Called the front desk of the hotel and they sent a doctor to see me. At least I think he was a doctor, he just has a black bag full of drugs. Anyway he gave me 5 atenolol for $100 US. I think he would have given me 30 for the same price but I'd told him I'd be home in a few days..

Not exactly apples to apples, but when in Italy this summer I was able to do a virtual doctor visit (with a lovely Italian doctor) and get a prescription filled - easy peasy.

As brett said: check with the pharmacy as different countries, different rules.

I was in Canada, wanted a strong painkiller, bought it via the pharmacist. Here in the US it would require a Doc. prescription.

At least I think he was a doctor, he just has a black bag full of drugs. .

Had to go to one of these guys once while travelling; recommended by the hotel. He had all kinds of photos of him with celebrities on his wall...a tip-off for sure.

I had a simple gout attack and he actually had to look up in a big book what to prescribe and I had to tell him what I had and finally told him what I needed.

As I was leaving he asked "Is there anything else you might want?" wink, wink. Dr Feelgood.

Last edited:
On the other hand, medicine that is freely available in Walmart has to be purchased at a pharmacy in Europe, and at a much higher price.

For example, when I ran out of antihistamine in Spain and Italy and the pollen from olive trees was killing me, I had to buy a package of 7 pills (1/day) of chlorphenamine for more than 10 euros. In the US, that would buy a small bottle.

My cousin recently moved to Amsterdam and she was having problems getting an antibiotic prescribed.
Drs there think the overuse of antibiotics is the main cause of super germs/ bugs and don’t prescribe very often.

I hope you are able to get your medication.

On the other hand, medicine that is freely available in Walmart has to be purchased at a pharmacy in Europe, and at a much higher price.

I was in the UK with an English coworker. He had a bad cold and I conveniently had a bottle of Nyquil. The next day he raved about it and said it was the best thing he ever had and wished he could get it in the UK.

I sent him a bottle for Christmas!

I was in the UK with an English coworker. He had a bad cold and I conveniently had a bottle of Nyquil. The next day he raved about it and said it was the best thing he ever had and wished he could get it in the UK.

Heck, come to think of it, before I went to a pharmacy, I looked around a couple of grocery stores to see what they had. Nope. Nothing. Not even aspirin or Tylenol.

And the Europeans don't believe in taking vitamins or all sorts of dubious herbal supplements like Americans do.

Heck, come to think of it, before I went to a pharmacy, I looked around a couple of grocery stores to see what they had. Nope. Nothing. Not even aspirin or Tylenol.

And the Europeans don't believe in taking vitamins or all sorts of dubious herbal supplements like Americans do.

When we lived in France we learned the hard way that pharmacies give you your pills in a paper envelope instead of a bottle.

Twenty five years ago, my daughter's teenage girlfriend who was traveling with us got sick in Amsterdam. We went to a doctor our hotel referred us to. He charged us $25 and dropped us off at the hospital - gratis (he fit us in at the end of the day and was passing the hospital on the way home). When I pulled out a credit card at the desk while filling out forms for the admission, the staff looked at me like I was nuts. They just admit you and deal with the issue. You are not in Kansas anymore. The same happened to me in France when I broke my shoulder. They do eventually bill you but no problems up front.

For example, when I ran out of antihistamine in Spain and Italy and the pollen from olive trees was killing me, I had to buy a package of 7 pills (1/day) of chlorphenamine for more than 10 euros. In the US, that would buy a small bottle.

Opposite story: DH had itching attacks due to his polycythemia and antihistamines sometimes helped. In Germany we couldn't find the OTC meds he usually got but they had ceterizine- later approved for OTC sales in the US under the brand name Zirtec.:)

It really does vary by country- a coworker from Canada used to stock up on OTC yeast infection treatments when she visited the US. I left that job in 1995 so I hope they're available OTC in Canada now.

And they live longer. Go figure. In fact, no where else in the world people consume as many vitamins and supplements.

And they live longer. Go figure. In fact, no where else in the world people consume as many vitamins and supplements.

Eh, when you eat so much hamburgers and fried chickin', you need to compensate with these pills and food supplements. :blush:

Is it any wonder given the preponderance of fast food outlets and the number of people selling/buying so called 'miracle; MLM health products based on ridiculous product attribute claims. And at substantially higher prices.

Some people actually equate vitamin and supplement quality by the price premium that they command. Go figure. I guess Europeans are smarter/more discerning or do more individual research.

We have no trouble buying NyQuil.

https://www.discounthealthproducts.com/shop/vicks/

That is because it is called paracetamol in the UK. Identical formula, acetaminophen is the active ingredient. Aspirin is easy to buy here.

https://www.boots.com/health-pharmacy/medicines-treatments/painrelief/aspirin-tablets

Naproxen is prescription only for some some reason here.

https://www.boots.com/health-pharmacy/medicines-treatments/painrelief/aspirin-tablets

I do agree that over the counter drugs are MUCH cheaper in the USA, and you can buy dozens at a time for less than a packet of 12 here.

That is because it is called paracetamol in the UK. Identical formula, acetaminophen is the active ingredient. Aspirin is easy to buy here.

I do agree that over the counter drugs are MUCH cheaper in the USA, and you can buy dozens at a time for less than a packet of 12 here.

I browsed through quite a few groceries in Spain and Italy, and failed to see any section carrying any drug. Perhaps I did not know where to look.

^Even the non-Rx stuff is at the pharmacy in many European countries

I browsed through quite a few groceries in Spain and Italy, and failed to see any section carrying any drug. Perhaps I did not know where to look.

Don’t know about Spain and Italy, but they probably don’t use the same brand names either so you need to know the underlying ingredients to really find stuff.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/buying-basic-items-in-spain-4046393
Names of common drugs may be different in Spain. If you have tried to buy acetaminophen in Spain and can't find it, that's because, in Spain, Acetaminophen is known as paracetamol.

Paracetamol can be found in all pharmacies (look for the illuminated green cross) in Spain. Note that the Spanish tend to take higher doses of paracetamol than in most countries, with one gram (that's 1000 milligrams) not uncommon. Ask for a lower dosage (200 mg or 500 mg).

Last edited:
Don’t know about Spain and Italy, but they probably don’t use the same brand names either so you need to know the underlying ingredients to really find stuff.

I am talking about not finding any medicine section, none whatsoever, in grocery stores.

My question is: can one buy aspirin or acetaminophen outside of pharmacies?

Last edited:
We have no trouble buying NyQuil.

https://www.discounthealthproducts.com/shop/vicks/

Yeah weird. I couldn’t get Naproxen in Ireland without prescription but instead they give me Nurofen Plus, I.e., ibuprofen plus codeine, without prescription.

The Nurofen Plus is really really good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom